PDA

View Full Version : Somebody stop me......RS6 in SFO for sale

March 2nd, 2012, 17:13
Came across this on the SFO CL

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/2879182771.html

Someone pick this up before I need to see a divorce attorney.

ben916
March 2nd, 2012, 17:48
Smoking dealio!

BUT it would have to be a cash transaction as a majority of financial institutions will not finance a lemon law car.
Also in California, the seller usually is required to smog the car prior to selling. Not sure of other states...

You can never have too much RS6!!!

Beastly
March 2nd, 2012, 18:10
sorry, stopped reading at lemon

mrdave
March 2nd, 2012, 20:27
$15k... lemon... recertified... 160mph...

um, no thanks.

March 2nd, 2012, 20:49
Anyone in Cali familiar with how a car gets "lemon" branded on the title? I'm assuming different than reconstructed/rebuilt/salvaged which would indicate structural damage. Car returned to a dealer (for blown turbo? or probably more likely couldn't make the payments) doesn't bother me near as much.

This would give me the perfect amount of RS's !(just like Jags) one to work on every day and one to drive.

Brav
March 2nd, 2012, 20:52
Probably had 4 transmissions or 4 DRC replacements and got lemmoned.. could have been any RS6. Get the details.

ben916
March 2nd, 2012, 21:58
Anyone in Cali familiar with how a car gets "lemon" branded on the title? I'm assuming different than reconstructed/rebuilt/salvaged which would indicate structural damage. Car returned to a dealer (for blown turbo? or probably more likely couldn't make the payments) doesn't bother me near as much.

This would give me the perfect amount of RS's !(just like Jags) one to work on every day and one to drive.

it is the "three strikes your out" - meaning three times to repair an item under factory warranty or the manufacture HAS to buy it back from you (full price if I am not mistaken)

Brav
March 2nd, 2012, 22:20
it is the "three strikes your out" - meaning three times to repair an item under factory warranty or the manufacture HAS to buy it back from you (full price if I am not mistaken)

A lemon is basically a manufacturer buy-back. CA has its own specific laws about this. 3 strikes is more or less true, if its a major safety or mechanical issue. Usually if done in the first year, 100% can be refunded even tax like it was never bought. Nowadays, it is usually prorated based on how long the car was owned. For example, a friend lemon-ed a C6 Corvette after nearly 4 years, but didnt receive every dollar back. He had probably 100 issues that were smaller, not many major issues. It was a true lemon.. He had to fight for it.

I really feel that the guy with this RS6 got a good lawyer and got it lemon-ed because of one of the already-known issues (DRC, TC, etc). Maybe you can find the details of the lawsuit if it was made public? Worth a few phone calls. Car COULD be otherwise fine.

hahnmgh63
March 2nd, 2012, 23:58
The question is that if someone from another state purchased this car would the Lemon provision be carried over in some way? We have a Lemon law in Washington state but to my knowledge the car doesn't get branded with it on the title? At this price I would be tempted.

Brav
March 3rd, 2012, 00:09
Yes title will be branded as a buy back.

March 3rd, 2012, 17:05
More info. Looks like a buyback in the first year around 8500 miles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-RS6-Gunmetal-blue-paddle-shifters-54k-miles-two-owners-450hp-twin-turbo-/320859225821?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4ab4b33edd

kismetcapitan
March 3rd, 2012, 17:25
if the car is sorted out, then you're looking at a 54K car for a mere $15K. It really doesn't matter if you aren't concerned about resale value. Plus, I really do wonder, in 3-5 years and doing about 50K miles, just how big the spread would be on the resale of this car versus one that would have 140K on the clock; a 90K car today would run what, about $5000 more at least?

Bigglezworth
March 3rd, 2012, 17:30
You can never have too much RS6!!! Yes, yes to can..... My second purchase sent the scene for divorce - literally..... lol

Brav
March 3rd, 2012, 17:39
I call BS on buyback from one bad Turbo. Do your on research on it. Price wise, it's good if it's sorted. Buy low, sell low. I you will loose less money on this car in the future than on a 25k car.

T-elospathic
March 3rd, 2012, 19:33
I was done reading at "two large car seats".

$15k is a sick price for a rocket on wheels, but financing a lemon and unless you plan to run it into the ground, selling a lemon? Tough.

Sadly it's only 3x the price of a transmission..not to add insult to injury though :)

Chung
March 3rd, 2012, 21:51
I wonder if temp sensor is EGT? Maybe an engine pull is the reason they are selling.

Bigglezworth
March 3rd, 2012, 22:43
$15k is a sick price for a rocket on wheelsExactly. It's priced at what it is for a specific reason. You guys all need to step back and realize that. I purchased my second ride for just under 20K two years ago and it's been nothing but plain old fun on wheels. 15K is peanuts to shell out for a ride like this even if it needs another 5K of maintenance. Lots of other cars at 50-100% that price will required the same maintenance at some point so you're already ahead of those.

mtmscs4
March 3rd, 2012, 23:47
Couldn't agree more Mr Biggleworth..... that's why I just bought it.

I sold my RS6 last year but couldn't resist buyin' another ticket for the CRAZY TRAIN!!!

Plan is to use as my track car. My E63 is great fun at the track but we all know the appeal of these cars.... told the wife I just couldn't resist.

Chung
March 3rd, 2012, 23:49
Nice. I told my friends that when I grow up I am going to probably have 3-4 of these cars just for shits and giggles.

ben916
March 4th, 2012, 00:32
Nice. I told my friends that when I grow up I am going to probably have 3-4 of these cars just for shits and giggles.

Daytona Grey = Check
Avus Silver = missing
Ebony Black = missing
Misano Red = missing
Mugello Blue = missing
Imola Yeller = missing
Polar White = good luck with finding one
Goodwood Green = you can have that one, eek!
Sprint Blue = good luck with finding one
Black Cherry Pearl = good luck with finding THE one

You are almost there!

Chung
March 4th, 2012, 00:39
Challenge accepted. I am going to need a few years though.

March 4th, 2012, 01:13
Couldn't agree more Mr Biggleworth..... that's why I just bought it.

I sold my RS6 last year but couldn't resist buyin' another ticket for the CRAZY TRAIN!!!

Plan is to use as my track car. My E63 is great fun at the track but we all know the appeal of these cars.... told the wife I just couldn't resist.

Thank you mtmcs4!!! Now I can spend the money that I would have spent on that RS plus half of the house plus the half of the 401k I get to keep on fixing mine! I knew you guys would come through :)

kismetcapitan
March 4th, 2012, 04:34
who would even consider financing $15K for an RS6? I've always been in the camp that if you can't pay cash in full, you can't afford the car. Making monthly payments on an Accord is one thing; making payments on an RS6, and then getting hit with a massive repair bill - the car payment is just further insult to injury!

btw, my first RS6 test drive was in a polar white Euro version. 19" wheels and Recaros = awesome. Sickly brown leather interior = wtf?? who the hell would order that?? While I tend to think of white cars as a bit too feminine for a real bruiser of a sports car, that white RS6 looked and ran like the devil himself :)

ben916
March 5th, 2012, 04:17
Challenge accepted. I am going to need a few years though.

Here is one, but please take off the uber ugly "twin turbo" badges -> http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=307438472&dealer_id=66664683&car_year=2003&systime=&doors=&model=RS6&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1330921102808&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=66843621&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2013&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=SAN_DIEGO_SO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=91943&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=AUDI&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=1611&standard=false

...making payments on an RS6... blah, blah, blah.... the car payment is just further insult to injury!
With this type of uber snobby mentality, I am unable to resist commenting. Not everyone can afford $90k and I do know some that FINANCED THAT. You make it sound like someone that finances something as welfare or poor. It would be wise to watch how you comment with your topic with such broad strokes and you don't know how many people you just offended...

Remind me never to help you...

kismetcapitan
March 5th, 2012, 04:50
I apologize. I've just seen a lot of young guys get car loans on $15K Lancer Evolutions and they can barely make the payment....and then there's the serious maintenance for a highly tuned car. I was really thinking of these guys in the JDM tuning scene getting themselves into deep financial trouble, when they thought they were buying on credit the car of their dreams for only $15K....then the big repair bills start coming in.

I was briefly considering an R8 before hunting for an RS6, and I assure you, that would have been financed through and through. In my own personal situation when I came back to the States and was shopping for a car, which does not apply to anyone else regardless of how rich or poor they may be, I had a ~$30K cash budget. That could have been a down payment on an R8, but it was more practical in every way to buy an RS6 outright and have a cash reserve for unexpected and expensive repairs and general maintenance on an older car.

What I meant to say was that with cars like these, it's not just $15K and then drive happily with oil changes and air filter changes. There are a lot of additional costs to factor in, as we all know far too well. For those I have offended, I am sorry. I was out of line. It could very well make sense in personal financial budgeting to finance a $15K RS6, to set aside cash reserves for maintenance and upgrades.

Chung
March 5th, 2012, 17:06
You would be amazed at the interest rates that are being offered right now. Financing isn't just about if you have the cash or not but it is about the opportunity costs as well. I financed my car (and I think I am the first in my family to ever do so) but I am comfortably making much more on my money with my other investments than I pay interest on my car. Also the 13k in repairs I have had to do on the car would have hit liquidity a lot more in terms of percentage. Bottom line leveraging isn't always bad but it isn't always good. It is about an individual situation.

Ben: I first need to buy my garage, then I can buy my next RS6. I still cannot figure out how to buy residential land and build a garage without building an actual residence. Speaking of financing Homepath homes are a bargain right now. 3% down, 3.9% interest.

vitalian
March 5th, 2012, 22:21
I also financed my car (first time I've ever done that), and will have it paid off at pretty much exactly the same time my aftermarket service contract runs out. I thought this was pretty darn smart, myself -- interest rates on loans are crazy low if you have good credit, I'm not going to be on the hook for any ridiculous repair costs because of my service contract, I don't need to take a big chunk of cash out of an account where it's doing a pretty good job of earning right now, and it's better for my overall cash flow situation. Then, when the car's paid off and the service contract runs out, I can make the decision whether to sell the beast or "fly solo" without a service contract. Gotta say I'm with Ben on this one....

EDIT: I'm with Ben on this, too -- that "twin turbo" badge on that poor green beast is FUGLY.

Brav
March 5th, 2012, 23:00
+1 about cheap/nearly free money, and opportunity cost. But yes, the sentiment that your purchase price + oil changes are going to be your only costs are false.. poor budgeting is poor budgeting, regardless of financing the car.

March 6th, 2012, 02:42
Yikes! Financed or not, budgeting is budgeting and it would be sad to see someone buy an RS and then have to let it go back to the bank making payments on a car they couldn't afford to fix. I financed my first airplane (all of $9800) and then found out the wings had to be pulled off for maintenance. Luckily worked out for me but not for everyone.

As for opportunity cost, "never borrow money to buy a depreciating asset" - Rich Dad Poor Dad?? There is always that beige 2000 Honda that will get you to work and back, but it never turns you on. If it did, you wouldn't be here.

Hey Chung, buy some land, get house and garage/barn plans and a permit for both and then just build the garage/barn. Got a buddy doing that now and I should have. A trip to county planning is a great investment.

Chung
March 6th, 2012, 04:01
I am crazy for not having thought of that. I just assumed if you had to have a residence for the permit it actually meant you needed the residence and not just a plan to build the residence. Maybe time to check with the planners again.