PDA

View Full Version : Engine is out, work in progress...

lswing
March 1st, 2012, 21:52
Well, engine is dropped out the bottom. Exhaust out for coating. PS Rack, W/M kit, Koni struts, turbos, oil cooler pipe, gaskets and hoses ready to go on...

March 1st, 2012, 21:57
Great pics! I think my wife just had a stroke...

lswing
March 1st, 2012, 22:09
Because the engine looks amazing right?

Hoses looked darn good all around, barely leaking on the cam shaft seals, none on oil cooler pipe, bit of oil around the head gaskets. Replacing all and plugs.

Somewhere behind the head shields is a PS Rack bolt, the thousand dollar bolt...

lswing
March 8th, 2012, 03:45
One turbo done...ceramic coated manifold and dp due tomorrow...

Currently at 515 bhp with Revo tune, wondering what the coated pipes and water/meth starting at 50/50 will put me up to. Thinking 550, but maybe more after tweaking the tune in a few weeks...

kevin
March 8th, 2012, 14:14
Good work!

I hate to rain on your parade but there is no way coated pipes/manifolds and a water/meth kit is going to increase your hp that much. Meth injection helps preserve the hp lost during hot ambient temps and heat soak. I have no idea how much difference coated exhaust parts gain hp but I'd bet it's a very small percentage. IMO ;)

lswing
March 8th, 2012, 15:52
Good work by my mechanic:) I agree that most of savings will be retaining power when it heats up. We'll do some logging next week, but I'm guessing the tune is running a bit extra boost, and currently pulling timing on WOT. I'm thinking that with the cooling and octane boost the engine will have what it wants. I'll have some butt dyno results in a few weeks...

Elevens
March 8th, 2012, 16:26
One turbo done...ceramic coated manifold and dp due tomorrow...

Currently at 515 bhp with Revo tune, wondering what the coated pipes and water/meth starting at 50/50 will put me up to. Thinking 550, but maybe more after tweaking the tune in a few weeks...

Yea I agree with Kevin, 550hp is Unlikely with out Major Modification. Maybe 520-530hp with a good set of Catless Racing DP's with are good for about 20hp. I changed all the Coil packs while my engine was out also just to eliminate any issues with them in the future. Even though in actuality they could be changed at any time. Any way good luck with the project and I hope after its done the results are to your liking............

Amar
March 8th, 2012, 17:53
On a standard Auto box, this is the highest BHP I have seen on an C5 RS 6.

600 BHP Dyno video below, torque is limited due to the auto box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32LGXFOdgJM

This manual one is meantal. 770 BHP Dyno video plus a manual box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M-37ED5oMY

Will be intrested to hear what you make.
In a manual one - 770 BHP Dyno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M-37ED5oMY

lswing
March 8th, 2012, 18:07
Kevin, how did the D.O. w/m treat you? I will be running two D05's into the y-pipe. We'll add this in after logging to see what difference is. I've only heard people say they feel a bit more kick, but how much depends on the tune I'm sure...

kevin
March 8th, 2012, 18:49
Kevin, how did the D.O. w/m treat you? I will be running two D05's into the y-pipe. We'll add this in after logging to see what difference is. I've only heard people say they feel a bit more kick, but how much depends on the tune I'm sure...

Can't share much with you yet as my kit won't be here until next week. It's coming with a pair of do5 and do7 nozzles. Going to install a 2.25gal tank/pump combo in the trunk and run SS braided lines throughout AND it will be MAF signal regulated.

lswing
March 8th, 2012, 18:53
Aha, interesting. Going with the 2.25 tank mount also, going to cut the carpet and tray for spare so it lifts up around it, putting right in front of the battery box. Regulating with the boost signal. Which controller you using to regulate through MAF?

Edit; And why the MAF?

kevin
March 8th, 2012, 19:17
Aha, interesting. Going with the 2.25 tank mount also, going to cut the carpet and tray for spare so it lifts up around it, putting right in front of the battery box. Regulating with the boost signal. Which controller you using to regulate through MAF?

Edit; And why the MAF?

Haven't decided where I was mounting the tank yet. Will have to wait and see. I'll post up some pictures of the install on my build thread next week.

As for MAF over boost, I believe using the MAF voltage will allow much better control of spray across the RPM range.

SteveKen
March 9th, 2012, 15:35
Hey Lou.

Is your engine still out? I'm curious if your shop can weigh it?

lswing
March 9th, 2012, 15:44
It's out, attached to the trans though, still want me to check?

kevin
March 9th, 2012, 15:51
The engine alone weighs around 500lbs I don't have a number for the trans though.

SteveKen
March 9th, 2012, 18:39
It's out, attached to the trans though, still want me to check?

If it's possible, since I have a transmission sitting around that I can weigh separately and just subtract it.

It's not a big deal if you can't. I'm working on a shipping quote for my spare engine.

lswing
April 5th, 2012, 22:17
I get the Beast back tomorra! New headers, ceramic DP's, turbos, power steering, cv joint, koni struts, bufkin oil cooler pipe, cam seals, EGT's, wheels, fluids, been a long two months!

W/M tank will be finished up next week. We're going to mount it under the battery cover, should be nice and sleek...got one of the little Optima batteries under there now, plenty of space...

hahnmgh63
April 5th, 2012, 23:17
What did you do about the Exhaust Manifolds? Did you discover that the material was just in the insulating portion or was there a crack in your Exhaust Manifolds?

lswing
April 5th, 2012, 23:23
The blasting material was inside the manifolds, trapped in "lips" from where the pipes were put together. Would not stop coming out after a week even. Apparently when building the header, one pipe goes inside another, then a weld on the outside. Maybe is was the direction they blew the material through? Maybe mine just had bigger edges and caught more sand? Or it could have just been a screwed up job somehow, dunno. They didn't charge anything in the end, but I ate $950 to get a set with 30k in two days. At least they are newer and I wont worry so much about the manifolds degrading and ending up in my turbos:) You're lucky yours didn't get trashed...

lswing
April 7th, 2012, 03:30
Got her back, really like the new wheels, need center caps still. Feel like the brakes need to be tightened up, power is all there, slow cornering a bit rough, suspension is feeling nice with the koni's, even a bit stiff on the soft settings, but much more predictable, and will soften a bit with time. Water meth tank and tuning next week or so, got the injectors drilled into the y-pipe, hosing to the back...

mik15
April 7th, 2012, 19:02
have you replaced the DRC with the Koni shocks? same set up as 4.2crew?

lswing
April 8th, 2012, 09:15
have you replaced the DRC with the Koni shocks? same set up as 4.2crew?

Yep, just posted a thread about it, very good, bit firm even on soft causing some new rattles, handling is very good so far...

mik15
April 8th, 2012, 11:15
you mean it's firmer than the DRC? on the other hand that's the beauty of the DRC, its response is progressive but then again you can't have it all....

lswing
April 8th, 2012, 19:08
My drc was progressive....progressively worse as I went faster:) The ride is just better all around though...