PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Pan

sheatisdale
February 29th, 2012, 15:07
Is it easy to take off? Do i have to do anything crazy like drop the exhaust or drive shaft, etc?

I want to replace the filter and gasket and fluid. I see the kit is very reasonable from ECS. I think about $70.

Which fluid should I use?
For the gasket do I use just it plain or do I put some rtv or something on it to help?

Thanks!

kilian tuning
February 29th, 2012, 15:15
...you know you have to use vagcom to change your oil at the right temperature?

sheatisdale
February 29th, 2012, 15:17
Oil? I'm talking about my transmission pan, so I'm not comprehending why oil would be involved. Do you mean transmission fluid?

lswing
February 29th, 2012, 16:26
I think kilian's post is obvious...you might want to look at some details before costing yourself 6k by messing up your trans with an incorrect fill....just saying:)

Mr. Rictus
February 29th, 2012, 16:49
kilian is talking about transmission oil or transmission fluid. You have to use a VAG-COM to check the temp of the trans and add fluid to it when it's in a certain range. It's not just a drain and fill kind of job, unfortunately.

The pan is easy to remove and the kit should come with a new filter, oil, and trans pan seal.

ben916
February 29th, 2012, 17:27
"A man must know his limitations..." Not to bust you in the chops, this is one thing that if you have the proper location, time, experience, tools to do this -> fire away! If you don't, IMO it is better to let the indy shop that knows how to do this, do this... my only drawback is the $450 and the time.

4everRS
February 29th, 2012, 17:29
Oil? I'm talking about my transmission pan, so I'm not comprehending why oil would be involved. Do you mean transmission fluid?
The fluid is oil. It's meant to lubricate parts. Oil specially designed for the tranny.

There is a fill proceedure in one of the stickys on the rs6 forum main screen. As already said, need a vagcom. Filling at too high a temp will not be enough oil (fluid, whatever). Need to be around 30'C

TozoM8
February 29th, 2012, 18:06
Autohousaz has a filter and the pan gasket for $31. You need a torx 27, a 5mm and a 17mm Allen wrench. You can use Mobil 1 ATF 8-9qt. Make sure you cut the filter's pickup pipe to 1/2'. Start with a cold trans.

sheatisdale
February 29th, 2012, 19:20
Thanks all.

I found the sticky and I found this article on here as well. http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/7854-Oil-for-rs6-transmission?highlight=fluid

Seems like a pain in the butt, but my dealer wanted $700 to do it.

aussie rs6
February 29th, 2012, 19:24
Autohousaz has a filter and the pan gasket for $31. You need a torx 27, a 5mm and a 17mm Allen wrench. You can use Mobil 1 ATF 8-9qt. Make sure you cut the filter's pickup pipe to 1/2'. Start with a cold trans.

agree with Tozo on trimming down the filter pickup pipe unless you want to take a chance on hearing the high pitched transmission whine arising from oil starved transmission!

been there, done that!

4everRS
February 29th, 2012, 19:48
This is the one I meant.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21371-Transmission-drain-and-refill-procedure.?highlight=Procedure

700 is completely crap. Talk to a shop that does audi's.

ben916
February 29th, 2012, 19:51
This is the one I meant.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21371-Transmission-drain-and-refill-procedure.?highlight=Procedure

700 is completely crap. Talk to a shop that does audi's.

WHOA! $700?!?! My indy shop was $415 then tax My local stealership quoted $580... I laughed

February 29th, 2012, 20:44
Rock Auto has the filter and gasket for $10-20 depending on brand. I just did mine with Tozo's help but I think the A-drum in my tranny is toast. The hardest part if you don't have a lift or a service pit is getting the car level to fill. Got to use the Vag-Com to fill between 30-50c (that temp is also stamped on your pan) or you can guess (15-20 min at idle with a cold car depending on ambient temp). Just over 4 quarts of fluid to replace what you lose. Need a pump to put it in or (because I'm cheap) use a hose in the quart of tranny fluid with a hole drilled in the cap and SQUEEZE :)

I apologize for the Super Tech, but I wasn't in the mood to drive 60 miles for fluid. It does have the LT71141 spec though :)

hahnmgh63
February 29th, 2012, 21:48
4qts to change the fluid. Drained with the pan off it usually takes me at least 6~7qts plus to do the change. The ZF book says engine off fill tranny to full, start the car (and start filling again at idle) and run it between D & R (I wait until it gets up to at least 20'C) and hold in each position for 3 Seconds, cap it off at 40'C ( I cap it at 35'C ) but do not exceed 50'C. These temps must be monitored through Vagcom.

February 29th, 2012, 23:08
Yep, my Bentley 37-2 page says between 3-5-4.0 U.S quarts for the 01L and 01V transmission...don't forget to check it while running.....I know I did

4everRS
February 29th, 2012, 23:19
Sooo, an rs6 tech told me he puts the plug in at 25'C. Said that it's nearly impossible to overfill them?

Thoughts?

905084, what symptoms are you having to say that your a drum is bad? (I assume that's the 1st/2nd gear pack?)

February 29th, 2012, 23:30
PV=nrt....I can't imagine that 5c makes a difference as to whether or not your transmission shifts well or not,

My RS is the most awesome machine when the trans temp is below 60c....I wish it was a fill prob but I got to believe it is a viscosity problem. Came across a Bimmer post and he had exactly the same problems in mine (X5 with the 5HP24A Trans). It was his A clutch and he had a great writeup on it. On eBay the most prolific part sold for the 5HP24A is the A clutch....I am hoping for a Trans-X or Lucas fix but as Tozo said, it won't fix broken orings. At this point I'm in "delay, delay, deny" mode.

The A clutch is used in gears 1-4 in the 5HP24A...Mine slipped in all of them. I only got it home because Tozo knew this and my wife says "Thanks Tozo"

4.2Crew
March 1st, 2012, 00:24
......Make sure you cut the filter's pickup pipe to 1/2'.

Is the purpose of this to get the pick-up pipe off the bottom of the pan?.... Minimizing the chances of starving (cavitating) fluid flow under extreme conditions?

hahnmgh63
March 1st, 2012, 01:59
905084 remember though our transmission is neither the O1V or O1L.

March 1st, 2012, 02:05
It's not? holy crap I'm an idiot...what is it? and why is it different? still waiting on my slipping replacement...does praying to the ZF gods help? I'll do anything!

TozoM8
March 1st, 2012, 02:42
It is an O1L (all wheel drive) O1V is (front wheel drive).

4everRS
March 1st, 2012, 02:49
It is an O1L (all wheel drive) O1V is (front wheel drive).
Tozo, can you overfill these transmissions? Is plug in at 25'c too cold?

hahnmgh63
March 1st, 2012, 02:51
905084, ours is a modified version of the O1L in the A6 which really means it is a different version of the 5HP24 we all know that part already. Elsawin also tells me 8qts of oil at a change which I have now done 4 changes, 2 on my car and 2 on two other RS6's and with a drain of the pan off to change the filter, letting it drip for an hour or so, it has always taken 7~8qts of oil to do the full refill procedure. This of course doesn't include a full fluid change with both coolers drained and of course the T.C. takes a couple more qts too. Just pulling the pan an letting it drain will slowly drain some of the fluid from the oil coolers (tranny has two, the split oil/engine cooler in the front lower portion and the conventional tranny cooler integrated into the radiator). With a tranny replacement it is somewhere around 12~14qts if I remember right. Can't remember, I just had to keep adding quart after quart.

hahnmgh63
March 1st, 2012, 03:02
Here is a good tranny refill thread with pics posted by Pat (V8weight) a couple of years ago.
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21371-Transmission-drain-and-refill-procedure.?highlight=transmission+fluid+quarts+cha nge

March 1st, 2012, 03:02
Ok, Ok ,Ok (done in my best Joe Pesci impersonation). So you are telling me that if I pull the pan, drop the filter, and even crack the cooler line I'm in it for 8-9 quarts after running it to 30-50 c? So I drained about a gallon and put a gallon in and after it leaked out after 4 quarts I'm still a gallon low? I'll check it tomorrow but I doubt it as the entire tranny only holds 9.8-10.4 according to my Bentley. I hope it is cause it beats a $4500 trans job.

TozoM8
March 1st, 2012, 03:16
Your trans with the converter holds 13qt. 25C is a bit cold. The easiest way to check, put your hand on the trans. Your body temp is 36C so when it feels warm you can put the plug back. You have to be really cold to over fill it. The problem with over filling, the fluid level could reach spinning parts of the trans and the fluid start foaming. Air bubbles in fluid will cause slipping. I would say it is impossible to overfill the trans if you fill it from the bottom. It was a problem on cars with trans dipstick.

hahnmgh63
March 1st, 2012, 03:20
Remember the Bentley is a guide for the A6 w/some RS6 stuff in it but the specs in the Auto Tranny section are for the A6, the A6, we have the 2 coolers. When you say drained do you mean you only drained and refilled and didn't pull the pan? If you did this only then 4 or 5 qts is probably about right. I just looked at some old posts and most said they were getting 6~7qts with the pan off, Audi was charging most people 8~9qts which is too much without a complete drain.

March 1st, 2012, 03:28
Nope, pulled the pan and used a filter and gasket that I had for my 2000 A6 4.2 with the 5HP24A....same gasket and filter that came out of my RS. As the drain is at the bottom of the pan, I can't see that it wouldn't make much difference (maybe 1/2 of a quart for what was trapped in the filter). The 2 coolers I did not know about. I've seen the 2 lines (feed and return) going to the front. Where is the other cooler?

sx3mac
March 1st, 2012, 03:31
A Few months ago I had to replace my valve body in the trans. Also replaced filter, which requires you to do the same procedures if you were to drain and replace filter. I bought 8 qts of oil and probably took 7.5 total and I spilt probably a half qt on the floor. =)

March 1st, 2012, 04:11
Maybe I'm 3 quarts low...god I hope so. Will check tomorrow. So close to 2 gallons with a pan drop and filter change? Anyone have an RS reference for this, cause the Bentley is totally misleading.

TozoM8
March 1st, 2012, 04:41
Don't worry about qt and gallons. Fill it until overflows, start the car in P, fill it until overflows, hold the brakes and put it in R-N-D-R-P for 15 sec each, fill more until it overflows and wait until it reaches the 35C then reinstall the filler plug. you are done.

aussie rs6
March 1st, 2012, 05:42
Is the purpose of this to get the pick-up pipe off the bottom of the pan?.... Minimizing the chances of starving (cavitating) fluid flow under extreme conditions?

correct, although you dont need 'extreme conditions'. I heard the whine as i took off sedately from the indie shop that had just changed the filter out. :vgrumpy:

Drove around the block and straight back into the indie shop to trim the pickup pipe next day after got forum advice overnight on the problem.

A great forum is the RS6 C5 forum with many learned members! :applause::applause::applause:

(waiting for the innuendos!)

john

:addict::addict::addict:

March 1st, 2012, 21:49
Rechecked my level and it is all good. 4.5 quarts for a pan drop and filter change. Drive tomorrow to check but..........no hope.

TozoM8
March 1st, 2012, 22:09
It doesn't seem right. I've never used less than 7qt.

March 1st, 2012, 22:27
It does seem when I filled it that it has a little sucking sound, but I can't get any more into it. If the trans cooler is plugged would it cause this? I cracked and drained the trans cooler line but nothing but a few drops (maybe 3 ounces) came out. Blow out the trans cooler line?