PDA

View Full Version : WW package

alrightroad
February 28th, 2012, 01:53
So some of you know I've been shopping for a while on an RS6 to keep my allroad company in the garage. My purchase journey has taken me to several nice RS6's since November but I have not found the right one yet. Getting close. My color options are really any decent Daytona, Avus or Mugello... in that order. I may make it easier on myself depending on your reply to this thread.

The one option I have always looked for is the warm weather package. I live in Charleston, SC and it can get hot here. Carbon fiber trim and SEE can all be added later (or miltek). I'm not concerned with navigation as I have an RNS-E ready for install. So, my question for the braintrust here: Does the solar sunroof and hot air extraction system really work? What are the specs of the system (i'm aware of the complementing components... rear side door shade and rear window power shade)? Does the exhaust fan come on by itself at a certain temp? Is the solar sunroof and attached exhaust system prone to fail? I would assume this would not be covered by an extended service plan.

I've not seen much on the WWP and how it functions. Perhaps my search skills on weak. I know 'what' that solar sunroof is supposed to do but fill me on details on how well it really performs. If it is more of a gimic and marginally keeps the cabin cool when parked then I'll drop that from my list of 'must haves' on the RS6 search.

TIA

Eric

twinsteve
February 28th, 2012, 02:00
See the RS6 FS in ATL that just got listed here....great car, I have seen it many times/ridden in it

TozoM8
February 28th, 2012, 02:02
It is a great option if you park your car on the sun. It keeps the cabin 15-20F cooler than without the solar roof. The down side, you need a new blower after 8-10 years and you will loose the see through glass.

alrightroad
February 28th, 2012, 02:23
See the RS6 FS in ATL that just got listed here....great car, I have seen it many times/ridden in it

I have not seen the one listed in ATL? Cant find it. Gotta link?

alrightroad
February 28th, 2012, 02:25

Nevermind... I see it now. Thx.

ben916
February 28th, 2012, 04:47
I have the Warm Weather Package and I love it!
The rear door shades do keep the interior cooler and less direct sun on the Black Leather Non-Recaro Seats/interior.
I use the Rear sun shade only when parking, not that it blocks vision, I just want to see out the back in case of Ponch/John try to stuff me a ticket.
I also use a front windshield sunshade that is custom made for the C5 A6.
A tint is in the budget also - huber optiks

The fans come on as soon as you turn off the car and there is any type of daylight - specifically sunlight.

There is only one drawback, aside from the additional 60lbs of weight:
If your windshield cowl leaks water onto the cabin air filter and then the filter SMELLS.
Then the lovely vapors are blown into the car.

I know of an Avus Silver with 75k miles @ 425k
Very clean, no WWP
VMR 19" flat black
KWv3
APR exhaust
REVO
Tint
Smoked tail lights
New Front rotors (unsure of pads)

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/ben916_rs6/IMAG0849.jpg

alrightroad
February 28th, 2012, 15:19
I have the Warm Weather Package and I love it!
The rear door shades do keep the interior cooler and less direct sun on the Black Leather Non-Recaro Seats/interior.
I use the Rear sun shade only when parking, not that it blocks vision, I just want to see out the back in case of Ponch/John try to stuff me a ticket.
I also use a front windshield sunshade that is custom made for the C5 A6.
A tint is in the budget also - huber optiks

The fans come on as soon as you turn off the car and there is any type of daylight - specifically sunlight.

There is only one drawback, aside from the additional 60lbs of weight:
If your windshield cowl leaks water onto the cabin air filter and then the filter SMELLS.
Then the lovely vapors are blown into the car.

I know of an Avus Silver with 75k miles @ 425k
Very clean, no WWP
VMR 19" flat black
KWv3
APR exhaust
REVO
Tint
Smoked tail lights
New Front rotors (unsure of pads)

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/ben916_rs6/IMAG0849.jpg

Thanks. Ben, what size wheels and tires you got there? Are those BBS?

ben916
February 28th, 2012, 16:11
That car isn't mine...

Those are VMR 19"
IIRC - 255 rear but not 100% sure
From the photo, it looks like there is a stagger (fronts thinner than rear)

alrightroad
February 28th, 2012, 16:17
That car isn't mine...

Those are VMR 19"
IIRC - 255 rear but not 100% sure
From the photo, it looks like there is a stagger (fronts thinner than rear)

Thanks. Thought it was yours. I'm showing my 'age' here on the board.

eric

Hy Octane
February 28th, 2012, 16:53
I had a 2003 A6 4.2 with the solar sunroof.. I now have my 2003 RS6 without it. I live in SoCal, and if the air temp outside is hot, and the car color is dark, the fans cant deal with the heat like you would like it to. Basically, I didnt notice much difference and prefer the sunroof.

alrightroad
February 28th, 2012, 16:58
I had a 2003 A6 4.2 with the solar sunroof.. I now have my 2003 RS6 without it. I live in SoCal, and if the air temp outside is hot, and the car color is dark, the fans cant deal with the heat like you would like it to. Basically, I didnt notice much difference and prefer the sunroof.

Good to know. That was my assumption... i.e., dark car, technically nothing would keep up with keep it cooled off inside other than windows down.

V8weight
February 28th, 2012, 17:01
I personally didn't care for the option...with the midwestern weather swings we experience here, it was good for little more than fogging up the windows..badly.

alrightroad
February 28th, 2012, 17:05
I personally didn't care for the option...with the midwestern weather swings we experience here, it was good for little more than fogging up the windows..badly.

Hmm. Never thought of that side affect but obviously you experienced it.

V8weight
February 28th, 2012, 22:36
Hmm. Never thought of that side affect but obviously you experienced it.
The solar sun roof is actuated by a light sensor and nothing more...It can be pouring rain, and the second the sun comes out the vents are pumping wet air into the cabin. No temp sensor either. Probably not relevant to your location, but it can be -30 and sunny, and the damn vents will run all day..

aussie rs6
February 29th, 2012, 19:20
I have the solar power sunroof on my avus C5 and here in Perth it gets very hot in summer- 100degF for a week at a time in summer. The solar power sun roof wont cool your car's interior down as only draws outside air into the car and passes it through the car, but will keep your interior at ambient temperature and stop it rising noticeably. This sure helps when you have black seats.

I have a black C6 with black interior without solar power sunroof and would gladly swap the 'soft close' doors of the C6 for the solar sun roof. It is a real pain to have to leave the windows down on the black C6 a little when I have to park it outside in the sun, so inside won't cook.

There is in my experience a noticeable difference in the cars's interior when parked up in hot weather climes between no solar power sunroof and having one.
john

alrightroad
February 29th, 2012, 19:23
I have the solar power sunroof on my avus C5 and here in Perth it gets very hot in summer- 100degF for a week at a time in summer. The solar power sun roof wont cool your car's interior down as only draws outside air into the car and passes it through the car, but will keep your interior at ambient temperature and stop it rising noticeably. This sure helps when you have black seats.

I have a black C6 with black interior without solar power sunroof and would gladly swap the 'soft close' doors of the C6 for the solar sun roof. It is a real pain to have to leave the windows down on the black C6 a little when I have to park it outside in the sun, so inside won't cook.

There is in my experience a noticeable difference in the cars's interior when parked up in hot weather climes between no solar power sunroof and having one.
john

Good info. Thanks for that.