PDA

View Full Version : hard brake pedal - no brakes at all!!!

mik15
February 25th, 2012, 16:29
...just came back from a 2 weeks vacation and i was very eager to get behind the wheel again to drive it a little bit...so went in the garage, took the car cover off and then started the car after previously turning off the radio and climate control to make sure there is enough power....the car started very easy, as if it's been sitting since yesterday not 2 weeks, that made me very happy :), let it a few minutes to warm up, while i was packing the car cover, and then went out heading to a car wash....everything was just fine, enjoying the drive when suddenly after 10 miles or more turning in an easy right i pushed the brake pedal to slow down a bit when i realized that it's very hard and that i can barely press it, though it worked just fine until then! Managed to pull over, thank God i wasn't speeding, called a recovery truck and took it to Audi. While waiting for the the truck and trying to find out what happened i've started the car again a few times and saw that it goes right away to 2k-2.5k RPM and then easily goes to the regular idling RPM but when it goes there i could hear some whistling, like air was coming out from some pipe and the idling was rough....my guess is that the problems lies somewhere in the vacuum system, maybe a valve or hose, a mechanic from Audi took a look and he reckons that might be it...we'll see tomorrow exactly what is wrong with my baby :) !

While waiting for the recovery truck did a short poll in my mind and came out that from all the cars i've had only the Audi's left stranded on the side of road, even though each time was a minor issue, but still... however the BMW, Ford, Jaguar, etc never let me down on the road like the Audi, kind of disappointed especially that this brake problem could've ended really bad!!! Anyway i am not quitting on her and i will keep walking :) !

ben916
February 25th, 2012, 17:45
another vacuum boost issue/leak...

mik15
February 25th, 2012, 18:06
how difficult is it to fix it? it's a common failure?

Brav
February 25th, 2012, 19:01
Mik, check my recent thread "rough idle"

There are many possible sources of a leak. I had the same exact symptoms. Where is the noise coming from, can you tell while listening with a small tube? If its under the manifold, be prepared for a large labor bill and a small parts bill.

mik15
February 25th, 2012, 19:09
seems to be coming from under the manifold...

4everRS
February 25th, 2012, 19:14
WTF are the chances 2 members have this issue at about the same time. You know these things usually happen in 3's.

Brav
February 25th, 2012, 19:26
WTF are the chances 2 members have this issue at about the same time. You know these things usually happen in 3's.

Come on who's next?

Suction jet pump... pretty sure.

I'm going in later today to pull my manifold. If you need any pics or info let me know.

mik15
February 25th, 2012, 19:35
probably it's the same thing on mine, i have been reading your thread and i am pretty sure it's the suction jet pump, though i didn't get any CEL. I did turn it off and then again on a few times but still no brake boost...i am will be preparing myself for a big bill from Audi :), if they need to get the car into service position i will probably do the valve cover gaskets as well and whatever tubing is under the manifold...not even 6k miles since i got the car and with this bill it's going to be over 6k $ spent already, 1k for each 1k miles, kind of really expensive....:)

Brav
February 25th, 2012, 20:40
The dealer may require engine pull for vavle cover on passenger side if they adhere to the book. The good news is you shouldn't have to do major surgery for a long time after this. Manifold pull shouldn't cost more than 1500 to pull. What all is being done for 6k?

ben916
February 25th, 2012, 22:54

I am gonna roll the dice and say 3 more within a month...

Brav, photos please...

4everRS
February 25th, 2012, 23:15
I am gonna roll the dice and say 3 more within a month...

Brav, photos please...I'll second Ben's motion for pics. All in favor?

Brav
February 25th, 2012, 23:54
OK. I will figure out a way to share them in the easiest manor. I have my laptop and tablet by my side, hopefully the tab takes good pics.

JSRS6
February 26th, 2012, 03:59
Make sure they replace with silicone, not OEM. And on that note, go ahead and get line 20 feet and replace EVERTHING you can access.

AndrewNC
February 27th, 2012, 05:24
I believe it's the same on the RS6, but I would check the hard vacuum line going into the firewall to the brake booster. There is usually a plastic valve on the engine bay side that will come apart over time.

AUDI5000CSTQ
February 27th, 2012, 14:12
Remember, this is the same thing that happened to mine, unfortunately, I believe I was one of the first to get this. It is very suprising when it happens, and would come and go. No CEL untill the very end.
$2 part, expensive labor. thank goodnes for Fidelity, $100 ded.

Brav
February 27th, 2012, 18:00
Anyone have an ETKA exploded view of this plastic part in question? My ETKA wont install on any of my 64 bit computers :( I may have to resurrect an old laptop

kday
February 27th, 2012, 18:15
I run ETKA in a 32 bit Windows XP virtual machine. Works great. Actually that VM is a "p2v" of my old laptop from ~2005, so I still have all my old junk when I need it (like at tax time).
I don't have it handy otherwise I'd look it up now.

Brav
February 27th, 2012, 19:00
So is it possible to run in and install in "XP Mode" ?

kday
February 27th, 2012, 19:48
I don't see why not. I'm using vmware but XP mode should work just as well.

ben916
February 27th, 2012, 21:51
Anyone have an ETKA exploded view of this plastic part in question? My ETKA wont install on any of my 64 bit computers :( I may have to resurrect an old laptop

Anyone?!?!?

This information is just a txt away..

Brav
February 27th, 2012, 21:58
Attachment didn't work?

ben916
February 27th, 2012, 23:45
Anyone?!?!?

This information is just a txt away..

Trying again...
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/ben916_rs6/SuctionJetPump.jpg

Brav
February 27th, 2012, 23:50
Ahh I thought there was another plastic part on the firewall in addition to this one that also commonly goes out based on AndrewNC 's commment

ben916
February 28th, 2012, 03:36
Does that help?

Brav
February 29th, 2012, 02:04
BTW - for ETKA, I used this link here to install on my Win7 PRO computer.. which had XP mode available. Used the virtual setup deal, and its FINALLY letting me install. I havent tried it on my Vista 64 yet, Vista said it wouldnt let me install XP mode update from MS since its only for Win7.. Also, I had to copy the CD to a folder on my hard drive in order to install.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-topics/13894-etka-can-work-windows.html

mik15
March 5th, 2012, 14:14
finally the car is back from the Audi dealer, they changed the jet suction pump, non return valve, intake manifold and MAF seals, the last two were changed as according to Audi book once removed can't be reused, total bill close to 1k $, of which cca 700$ was only the labor...but i got to say, after got back in the car and start driving it i wasn't sorry for the money, forgot all about it, if a car can make you feel like this then the rest doesn't matter and here i can't buy any aftermarket insurance, unfortunately, everything comes out of my pocket :(, in the end is not the money but the time you have to waist waiting for parts as they don't have a proper stock level of parts for such cars...God is good to be back on the road with my baby, i love it !!!

Brav
March 5th, 2012, 21:18
Great to hear! 700 in labor is a great deal for what was done.. in retrospect, I would have GLADLY paid this to Raven MS instead of having to learn all the tricks and bs of a manifold pull. Granted I am taking my sweet time and had some delays that were my fault, its not fun! Small price to pay to have your baby up and running like a top. Today I will attempt to put mine back together. I have the engine work all done, just need to reinstall intercoolers and put the bumper and cock carrier back together. I really hope I did it all correctly! I am over 2 weeks in tackling this project myself. be happy!