PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent coolant leak

phoenix
February 24th, 2012, 23:22
I'm already getting sick owning my rs6. So few days ago, my car has developed intermittent coolant leak. It looks like it's coming out on the passenger side behind the alternator. Is it possible that this is that famous oil cooler pipe, the one that goes from an oil cooler to the engine block, or there is something else that maybe be leaking on that side?

lswing
February 25th, 2012, 03:22
Could be, or aux radiator. A good mechanic is invaluable with an older car...

kevin
February 25th, 2012, 04:02
The leak you describe is in the region of the dreaded, prone to break, plastic oil cooler coolant transfer nipple....

A cooling system pressure test will help to locate this coolant leak.

phoenix
February 26th, 2012, 22:54
who had that problem with plastic coolant pipe fixed, what should I expect to pay for the repair ?

speedtrapped
February 27th, 2012, 00:19
The part is cheap, it's the labor. Normally Adui will say engine drop, or an Indy might too. I believe this topic was discussed recently, and some one showed a step by step to to replace w/o engine drop. Also, get the blufkin engineered replacement, machined aluminum with O-rings, no cheap plastic failure down the road.

Chung
February 27th, 2012, 20:33
I just had mine fixed. $1100 at an independent shop. My was replaced with the milled pipe mentioned in the other posts.

ben916
April 4th, 2012, 18:09
I am a victim of this.... damn...

MaxRS6
April 4th, 2012, 18:24
^ooof and sorry to hear that Ben- As has been stated numerously- absurd OEM design/location & material selection. I went with the Bufkin piece. However; there are other seals in the oil cooler that also age with time. This should be on the standard "while my engine is out" maintenance/repair" list. It seems like my engine gets pulled at least once a year, so I've incorporated the oil cooler seals to be replaced whenever the engine is out.

The following is the DIY that has been posted here a few times...

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/enginemechanical/oilcoolerremovalreinstall.html

hahnmgh63
April 4th, 2012, 18:33
Rian you should have given me a call and I'm sure we could have got it done in a day. Hell, I can't drink $110 worth of Wine & Beer in a day so it would have been a lot cheaper.

lswing
April 4th, 2012, 20:11
I am a victim of this.... damn...

I take it you checked all other hosing in the area? My leaks were due to the aux radiators on both sides. Hope it's not that plastic cooler pipe. We just swapped mine out with the Bufkin when working on other things.

ben916
April 4th, 2012, 20:59
I take it you checked all other hosing in the area? My leaks were due to the aux radiators on both sides. Hope it's not that plastic cooler pipe. We just swapped mine out with the Bufkin when working on other things.

well the dealership did a pressure test and they came back with that oil cooler tube is cracked AND that there is a leak in the radiator...
I wanted to get the Bufkin and was sOOOOOO close to just buying it in advance assuming that it would eventually go bad.

One note:
The RS tech was surprised that the oil cooler tube went bad on my car due to the 56k miles on it, typically it is much higher mileage vehicles they see it happening to...

April 4th, 2012, 23:32
One note:
The RS tech was surprised that the oil cooler tube went bad on my car due to the 56k miles on it, typically it is much higher mileage vehicles they see it happening to...

Not always the plastic that goes bad, but sometimes the o-rings. Pulled my A6's and the pipe was ok, orings were shot. Potato, potatoe...same amount of labor to get to it.

As an aside, if you have had the front in the service position it's a good idea to check the small diameter brittle plastic line that goes to the upper radiator hose. When I did my A6 4.2 this line snapped and I think this might have been the cause of my leak, not the oil cooler. RS6 line is a little different, but the leak shows up just like an oil cooler leak and it's an easy check.

MaxRS6
April 4th, 2012, 23:52
..One note:

I don't think it is linear with mileage as the plastic also degenerates simply over time. As 905084 says, while in there- replace all the seals and o rings. Whenever da engine is out, just a good thing to do routinely. If nothing else, you get a 12K/12 month warranty- and by that time the engine will probably need to be pulled agin. :0

hahnmgh63
April 5th, 2012, 03:12
yea Ben, your RS tech is full of it. On the A8 list there are guys with 40K on their cars that have had it replaced. And for all, my mistake, I'm not that weak, I can easily drink $110 of Beer & Wine in a day, just not $1100 unless I'm paying Tokyo prices.

Bigglezworth
April 5th, 2012, 04:24
The RS tech was surprised that the oil cooler tube went bad on my car due to the 56k miles on it, typically it is much higher mileage vehicles they see it happening to...I just went through my docs here for the high mileage beast and there isn't a single repair record for this oil cooler thing. Hmm.... I do however have both aux rads now leaking so will be removing and capping them when I pull the intercoolers out to check for leaks.

ben916
April 17th, 2012, 04:50
Well, I got my RS6 back today after 2 weeks in the shop:

Aftermarket covered it..... ALL $5300 of it minus my deductible of $200... I showed my wife the invoice and all she said was "thank goodness for the warranty"

Chung
April 17th, 2012, 04:55
Man I would totally have done it with help from an expert. Maybe if you are up to it we could do my intercoolers someday. I really do want to start doing more repairs myself but taking the car apart is intimidating.

April 17th, 2012, 05:56
Ben, $5300 for ?? Chung and Ben.....like to spend some time in SEA, Got a T20/27 Torx and a 10mm and I'm there.

ben916
April 17th, 2012, 06:34
Ben, $5300 for ?? Chung and Ben.....like to spend some time in SEA, Got a T20/27 Torx and a 10mm and I'm there.

Step 1: drop motor...

ben916
April 18th, 2012, 23:19

The oil cooler tube between the block and the oil cooler was cracked.
There was a hole in the radiator.

Tom Sawyer
April 20th, 2012, 00:48
Well, I got my RS6 back today after 2 weeks in the shop:

Aftermarket covered it..... ALL $5300 of it minus my deductible of $200... I showed my wife the invoice and all she said was "thank goodness for the warranty"

I would indeed cherish that warranty... would be mighty nice to have one right about now... <sigh>