PDA

View Full Version : Advice?

T-elospathic
February 23rd, 2012, 06:11
So I'm banging my head trying to decide, maybe you all can help. I test drove an 08 A8L fully loaded the other day. V8, 350 BHP, and the usual goodies. My RS6 has 115k on it now and as much as I love it, I need a daily driver and I don't think buying the A8L and keeping the RS would be wise. Between my cars I drove a good 26k last year alone, and I really don't like putting miles on such an amazing car.

My thoughts are this:

RS6 pros: faster than everyone else on the road, unassuming yet ominous, alcantara headliner (I'm really attached to that actually), 3-spoke steering wheel, suspension, and just the car (you know what I mean).

RS6 cons: mileage, driving a race car around is bound to get me into big trouble eventually (I don't like driving smooth and slow usually..)

A8L pros: FEATURES, comfortable as a cloud with seats, V8, massage seats..., air conditioned seats, insane amounts of leg room (I often have passengers, and clients make up the majority), insanely smooth overall, only weighs 200 lbs more than the RS6

A8L cons: larger/longer, ~200 less hp, I have to ditch my STaSiS Ohlins and my whole sound system setup (along with plenty of other small features, such as my inverter add-on and so forth), and not nearly as much swag.

What do you think? Sell the RS, or not? Also, if I do decide to sell it, I'll be looking for ~$22k if anyone is interested.

4.2Crew
February 23rd, 2012, 11:36
I too went back and forth between buying a RS6 and an 2007 or newer A8... Here were my observations on the A8:

--Like'd the A8 over the A8L (The L is longer and stodgy'r---elongated in the rear seat area.)

--Prefer'd the A8 with the sport package (firmer ride, seem'd a bit nimbler, plus had other goodies)

--Only considered a 2007 or newer A8 (from 2007 on, they have the FSI engine--more power and NO timing belt.)

The A8 is an awesome car for what it is----just as the RS6 is awesome for what IT is! Just like the RS6, a used 2007 A8 w50k miles and loaded for under $30k is a lot of car for the money... If possible, driving one for a couple days might give you some insight as to what it's like to live with an A8----OR without the RS6!

--