PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover gasket fit question

SFJ_RS6
February 23rd, 2012, 01:36
I'm replacing the valve cover gaskets as preventative maintenance while I've got my engine out. I bought a Victor Reinz gasket set (077 198 025A). When I fit the main gasket in the cover, I'm surprised at how high the gasket fits out of the groove, even when fully seated down into the groove. I don't want it to fold under or otherwise not seal when I tighten it down. See a couple of pictures below.

Anybody with experience in changing this gasket - does this look right??

Thanks for your help!
Steve

TozoM8
February 23rd, 2012, 02:36
It is normal.

kevin
February 23rd, 2012, 03:01
Just did mine a while back as well.... Like Tozo said, normal. However, you may want to seat that spark plug seal a bit better.

SFJ_RS6
February 23rd, 2012, 03:34
Thanks Tozo and Kevin for confirming this is normal. I figured it was probably ok given the Victor Reinz OE brand, but wanted to get confirmation before I tightened the bolts down. And I will check to make sure the spark plug seals are set. In the 2nd picture that's actually the seal for one of the two center bolts you see sticking up above one of the stand-off bosses. The 1st picture shows the spark plug seals, which I think are set, but I will double-check them.

Again thanks,
Steve

mdegracia
February 23rd, 2012, 12:50
Prolly should hit up the timing chain tensioner seals as well if you have the covers and engine out.

Note - they can be installed pretty quickly. With the timing chain tensioner tool in place they litterally slide in! I think the dealer gets something like 2-3hrs for this....I saw it done in less than 5 mins!