PDA

View Full Version : Looking to do the MTM TCU tune...

BuffaloRS6
February 22nd, 2012, 02:04
I'm in Buffalo, NY. What's the best place near me? The Joe Hoppen Motorsport dealers seem to all be down near NYC. Can't really find anything closer. Looking to do it in the next month or so. Also doing the GIAC ECU flash & Milltek non-res exhaust w/ black tips. Considering 19" wheels. VMR 701's are looking pretty good right about now. I'd like to run a 19x9.5 wheel. Guys with these wheels; what offset are you running? Suggested tire size? I'm running stock suspension @ this point & am considering KW v3's when I do the 19"s. I'm posting this as I'm researching everything. I'd like to get some fresh answers. Thanks again

marklar182
February 22nd, 2012, 02:10
I urge you to rethink the Giac ECU, there are better options out there. Search shows Joe Hoppen Motorsports has went MIA, others have had success with a Canadian Vendor.

BuffaloRS6
February 22nd, 2012, 02:16
I just searched GIAC ECU tune and found a rather lengthy debate about which tunes are best for our cars. What's the problem with GIAC's ECU tune? Could you please elaborate? MTM's ECU tune seems to be one of the favorites on this board. Couldn't find anything that's concrete enough to steer me away from GIAC's. I searched and couldn't find a ton of info. Thanks.

4everRS
February 22nd, 2012, 02:46
On the rs6 they are logged proven to only increase boost pressure and not adjust fuel trims. They may do better on othe models of cars but not a good rep for ours. Try APR, Eurocharged, or Viper. They are proven in log after log for consistency and SAFE power increases.

ben916
February 22nd, 2012, 03:47
On the rs6 they are logged proven to only increase boost pressure and not adjust fuel trims. They may do better on othe models of cars but not a good rep for ours. Try APR, Eurocharged, or Viper. They are proven in log after log for consistency and SAFE power increases.

Or REVO...
But MTM or Sportec seems to be TRAGICALLY overpriced! $5000USD?!?!?! pass the pipe over here...

BuffaloRS6
February 22nd, 2012, 04:04
$5,000 for MTM??? I'm seeing $1,600 on Joe Hoppen Motorsports (JHM is apparently M.I.A. though?). I was quoted $1,800 from my local dealer (Black Forest Motorsports) here in Buffalo, NY for the GIAC ECU.

4everRS
February 22nd, 2012, 04:27
Oops. Forgot about Revo. Theyre good too. 5k for mtm? I remember it being about 2k. Still wouldn't do it. I am biased to APR. REALLY like the tune. However, at over 2500 bucks, there are less expensive options that are really good too. For the money, it's hard to beat Eurocharged.

JSRS6
February 22nd, 2012, 05:09
True, but honestly, would you have paid that much if it hadn't been "found" already on your car?

ben916
February 22nd, 2012, 06:44
$5,000 for MTM??? I'm seeing $1,600 on Joe Hoppen Motorsports (JHM is apparently M.I.A. though?). I was quoted $1,800 from my local dealer (Black Forest Motorsports) here in Buffalo, NY for the GIAC ECU.

I remember that number from Hoppen since I was lurking...

you should ask for a weekend usage of the GIAC before committing to it

4everRS
February 22nd, 2012, 11:27
True, but honestly, would you have paid that much if it hadn't been "found" already on your car?

No I wouldn't. If you recall, the way I initially found the car had a tune was because I was having Jerry flash it remotely and he said that I was already tuned.

mdegracia
February 22nd, 2012, 12:27
Since you are relatively local to Syracuse - if you chose REVO, my buddy's garage is a licensed dealer for them. There is also a free 5-hr trial available.

http://upstateimports.com/Tuning.html

I will be there this weekend sealing my intercoolers!!!

BuffaloRS6
February 23rd, 2012, 01:30
So the problem with the GIAC tune is that it increases the boost pressure but doesn't increase/adjust fuel trims to compensate, potentially seriously damaging the car's motor? I was @ my local shop today to pick up my RS6, had the timing belt, front brakes & oil change done. That was not kind to my wallet. Lol. Anyway, while I was there, the shop owner, Jason, called his contact @ GIAC for me. Apparently there's a 3rd revision to the GIAC RS6 tune which makes it more balanced (of course they're going to say this in order to sell tunes). It was also mentioned that this newest GIAC tune is good enough that it doesn't require an aftermarket TCU, even from GIAC. Bullshit or truth?.... I'm ordering my Milltek non-res exhaust in the next 2 weeks. I'm planning on getting the tune done after that. Still have some questions about what's been changed on the GIAC tune in order for them to claim it's been improved. I plan on getting it dynoed afterwards & hopefully see some logs from the car and see if it's truly a balanced tune. Can anyone suggest some questions I should ask? My car is in tip top shape. No boost leaks, newer TC, new transmission.

4everRS
February 23rd, 2012, 01:41
So the problem with the GIAC tune is that it increases the boost pressure but doesn't increase/adjust fuel trims to compensate, potentially seriously damaging the car's motor?
Yes. Never heard of a revision. Not that I would though. Their tune was running the car dangerously lean.

It was also mentioned that this newest GIAC tune is good enough that it doesn't require an aftermarket TCU, even from GIAC. Bullshit or truth?....
Bullshit. The tcu upgrade is for the increased torque the flash puts out. If they say a tcu chip isn't needed, its like admitting the torque isnt increased much. I just think they are giving you a line.

4everRS
February 23rd, 2012, 01:43
Bottom line is that your money is better spent elsewhere. Coming from a financial advisor. :)

BuffaloRS6
February 23rd, 2012, 02:12
Thanks for the info...looks like I have a lot more digging to do with GIAC. Closest APR dealer is outside of Rochester @ Stratmosphere. I'll be on the phone quite a bit tomorrow I think...

kevin
February 23rd, 2012, 03:18
I just d/l both GIAC performance files for the Rs6. They usually come with a txt file to show the details of the file and other bits of info. Neither of them had one. I'm a GIAC dealer and I don't use it on my car.

4everRS
February 23rd, 2012, 03:25
For the record, I think GIAC has a good product for most models. Just not the RS6.

kevin
February 23rd, 2012, 03:39
For the record, I think GIAC has a good product for most models. Just not the RS6.
That is a fact!! We have 100's of happy customers!

BTW, I recently became a Eurocharged Premier dealer!

BuffaloRS6
February 23rd, 2012, 03:51
That is a fact!! We have 100's of happy customers!

BTW, I recently became a Eurocharged Premier dealer!

Cool. Was just on eurocharged.com looking @ their ECU tune. Can I just buy the ECU tune & the hand held flash loader and not send in my ECU?

kevin
February 23rd, 2012, 03:55
Yes sir!

BuffaloRS6
February 23rd, 2012, 04:05
That's so easy. lol...and still roughly $600 less than GIAC!

marklar182
February 23rd, 2012, 21:34
Someone just saw the light!

ben916
February 23rd, 2012, 22:18
Someone just saw the light!

Or the logs...

ThrillHouse
February 23rd, 2012, 23:44
I'll be in the same boat in ~2 months. I wish there were a Eurocharged dealer closer to Boston!

BuffaloRS6
February 24th, 2012, 02:49
Reply I got from GIAC: "The negative feedback that you are referring to is actually from a smaller competing tuning company who took dyno plots from a car that had bad exhaust gas temperature sensors. Our target lambdas on a healthy car are around 11.7:1, which is by no means lean at all. As with any of our software offerings, we have a 30 day money back guarantee on all of our software. I can work with Jason to take logs on your personal car so that we can ensure you are happy with the data before committing to leaving it on your car. In terms of dyno testing, we have not had the latest file back on our dyno. The latest updates were street tested by one of our dealers in Europe on an airstrip. That is correct, the latest tune does not require a TCU upgrade."

Sooo. THOUGHTS???

kevin
February 24th, 2012, 03:18
30 day $$ back guarantee.. Go for it! Do some data logging for sure!

BuffaloRS6
February 24th, 2012, 03:20
Unless it blows up my motor... :(

BuffaloRS6
February 27th, 2012, 19:14
Can one of the administrators do me a favor and delete my post 2 up from this one? #25. It's an email response from Austin @ GIAC. I wasn't supposed to post it as all correspondence from GIAC is confidential and not allowed to be posted on any forums. I don't see an edit button @ the beginning of the thread or near any of my posts. If this could be taken care of ASAP, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jimmy
February 27th, 2012, 20:26
There is no confidentiality in emails ... IMO

nistah
February 29th, 2012, 19:44
Why even consider GIAC when you can do a Eurocharged ECU/MTM TCU combo for less than $1000...IMHO this is a no brainer...BTW I just got word from Francois @ Horchaus - Performance Tuning www.horchaus.com (http://www.horchaus.com) Francois got confirmation that Hoppen is no longer open for business... he assures he will soon fix the mtm US presence issue.

Brav
February 29th, 2012, 20:41
Can one of the administrators do me a favor and delete my post 2 up from this one? #25. It's an email response from Austin @ GIAC. I wasn't supposed to post it as all correspondence from GIAC is confidential and not allowed to be posted on any forums. I don't see an edit button @ the beginning of the thread or near any of my posts. If this could be taken care of ASAP, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You will have to PM Erik (owner of board)