PDA

View Full Version : Strange fault code, 01044

T-elospathic
February 20th, 2012, 21:06
Hey techs, I need some help..

I recently had to remove most of my steering column due to my adjustment motor system being messed up (long story), and after putting it all back together, I get two errors as reported by the ABS/ESP module and VCDS:

01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
35-00--

00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85): Not Matched

When I check out the measure blocks, it looks like the angle sensor is fine (it sits at 0.0 when centered, and changes the deg as I turn the wheel like it always had), but I guess I have to recalibrate it?

I'd love to recode my ABS module but I can't figure out both the login # and the # to code into it after logging in.. Can anyone help me out with this? I'd really rather not have the dealership charge me for punching in a few #s... I should also mention that this has shut off my ESP and ABS completely, and causes both lights to come on (and the BRAKE light to blink and beep 3 times upon starting the engine), and even with 4wd, icy snowy roads aren't this car's best friend without ESP (and ABS of course). Fun, just not exactly safe. Thanks!

TozoM8
February 21st, 2012, 00:02
Google says #4 fuel injector fault.

ben916
February 21st, 2012, 02:02
I would LOL if it was the brake light switch...

00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85): Not MatchedSee page 38 of this -> http://www.s4-mtm.com/images/RS6-C5StudyGuide.pdf
Maybe it isn't plugged in all the way or a frayed wire?

T-elospathic
February 21st, 2012, 04:40
Interesting guide..I'll have to read into that more. Unfortunately, I've checked all of the connections. Hours of searching tell me that I simply need to recode my ABS module with VAG-COM. That requires the log-in code (which can be created from the car's info on that same sticker that tells you the paint code?) and the re-code code (which is apparently similar, relating to things like model, chassis, engine, etc).

Every time I start it the beeping gets louder and louder.. P.s. ben916, by KomfortBlinker, do you mean the 3-blink passing feature that comes in the newer Audis..?

ben916
February 21st, 2012, 04:45
Interesting guide..I'll have to read into that more. Unfortunately, I've checked all of the connections. Hours of searching tell me that I simply need to recode my ABS module with VAG-COM. That requires the log-in code (which can be created from the car's info on that same sticker that tells you the paint code?) and the re-code code (which is apparently similar, relating to things like model, chassis, engine, etc).

Every time I start it the beeping gets louder and louder.. P.s. ben916, by KomfortBlinker, do you mean the 3-blink passing feature that comes in the newer Audis..?

Yep! :)

T-elospathic
February 21st, 2012, 04:47
How! You have no idea how close I am to making my own controller with an AVR microcontroller to do that. I need it haha..

ben916
February 21st, 2012, 05:30
here ya go!

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21846-Comfort-Signal-Mod-%28-%29?highlight=Komfort

T-elospathic
February 21st, 2012, 07:10
Sweeet, I'm definitely doing that, thanks!

T-elospathic
February 22nd, 2012, 00:28
Bump for anyone with info on my original problem..

V8weight
February 22nd, 2012, 20:13
You don't need to log in to recode the abs module. The correct soft coding is 06697. As for the steering angle sensor, it just needs to be re-initialized. Sorry, I don't know the procedure off hand...

marklar182
February 22nd, 2012, 20:51
As for the steering angle sensor, it just needs to be re-initialized. Sorry, I don't know the procedure off hand...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_A6_%284B%29_Brake_Electronics_%28Bosch_5.7%29

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

T-elospathic
February 22nd, 2012, 23:04
I tried the code you provided V8, and it doesn't do anything. It goes in and all, but to no avail (and with no noticeable changes). The ross-tech wiki marklar provided says that you need to login before the code will take?

T-elospathic
February 23rd, 2012, 03:42
Alright! I fixed it. It took finding out the login code for my RS6' ABS module. For anyone who may have this problem in the future...let me tell you what I found out.

First of all, you NEED a VAG-COM cable and the VCDS software. Well worth the purchase, imo. That's been said plenty throughout this forum.

Refer to this for exact details: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_A6_%284B%29_Brake_Electronics_%28Bosch_5.7%29 #Login

Anyhow, the 3 codes you need to remember are as follows:

ABS/ESP Login: 07197
ABS/ESP Code: 06697
*Note that these are only for the RS6 Saloon, I'm not sure if these go with the Avant*
Steering Login Code: 40168

First, open the ABS module in VCDS. Then, click "Login" and enter the login code above, for the ABS *NOT* steering.

Next, you're going to recode it with the ABS/ESP code above (and a workshop # if you so desire, not necessary. I left mine at 00000).

DO NOT EXIT the module in VCDS! Turn your wheel at least 30 degrees to the left (you can read the degrees in the meas. blocks group 005 field 1), and back to 0.0.

Next, click "Login" and enter the 3rd code above, 40168.

Click "Basic Settings", enter 001 in the "Group" box, and click Go!. Then "Done, Go Back". Check your fault codes, they should all be gone.

Note that you have to do both parts of this procedure, coding the module and calibrating the steering, for the module to retain its new coding.

This procedure is necessary if you tamper with the steering sensor/self-canceling ring assembly in the steering column (or at least in my case, as I had accidentally turned the key on while the column was disassembled). Or, if you get a new ABS module.

Anyhow the ORIGINAL problem leading me to all of this mess was that my steering adjustment controls weren't working. It ended up being a blade-style 25A fuse under the drivers kick-panel (well above), by the other relay and fuse blocks.

Thanks for all the help! Especially V8weight and Marklar182.

marklar182
February 23rd, 2012, 03:46
Thank you for passing on the procedure! I'm sure someone else will run into this in the future and hopefully they find your post!

T-elospathic
February 23rd, 2012, 05:46
The worst part was figuring out the code since I don't have the spare tire sticker saying the production info, but I assumed a couple things and reversed it from V8's code. So, hopefully my week of listening to that ear-splitting beep and seeing all of the lights comes to someone's advantage. I guess I did end up with working steering wheel adjustment, in the end.