PDA

View Full Version : Sad sad day, sell or trade in?

Majestic
February 20th, 2012, 11:40
Hi all, well I gotta admit it was fun while it lasted, I am getting a new car.
What should I do?
I sometimes think its just easier to take the bullet and trade in to deal with less hassel of selling.

Just wondering on the price difference between the two.

How much would a 55k stock rs6 with new michelin ps2 with all new front and back EBC Brakes red stuff and a extended warranty until 2015 i forget the month, I think until august 2015.
Both headlights just changed out and will even throw in all 4 Toyo Proxies tires for the car that are used, one of them is a flat and dont know which one.

What would be a reasonable price?
I just want to know because if its close to the trade in value I would just trade it in.

Thanks to all that reply.

twinsteve
February 20th, 2012, 12:24
You will EASILY get $3K-$4k more by selling to private party vs. trading in..say, something like $26k sale vs. $23k trade-in.....

TozoM8
February 20th, 2012, 14:38
You have to sell it yourself. The trade in will be $20k or less.

mmaturo
February 21st, 2012, 05:17
Trade in WILL be 20K or less....mine was $18K a year ago for perfect 86K car. Dealer will want to make the difference on resale. I parted out my wheels, little stuff, and RNSE and got the difference to me between private vs trade ($22K total after sale of parts). In illinois i get credit off sales tax for trade in so also added more $$ to the real equation so to me trade in made more sense. When i tried private sale those looking scared the S out of me...stomping on it mid turn with no idea what the car would do...i saw a bad future of clipping parked cars, curbs etc. on test rides.

That said your car is lower mileage in a good spot especially with warranty assuming timing belt done (again) and first run at front suspension bits (control arms etc) which are probably shot by now have been replaced. Have not been following recent sales so no idea to help you on your value but likely mid 20s with recent hold on values.

RobertV
February 21st, 2012, 10:41
Sounds like you already know what new car you are going to get so I would speak to the dealer to find out what they will offer you for the trade. I agree that it is easier to trade a car in and that is why I used to lease all the time. Trade in on used cars has always been a shock to me, but the dealer needs to make it worth their while too.
I sent you a PM.

kismetcapitan
February 21st, 2012, 16:10
for many cars, trading in does have conveniences. But the RS6 is a rare bird, and commands a fair price to the right buyer.

February 21st, 2012, 20:07
The price of a car is only worth what one person is willing to pay and what one is willing to sell for, especially with a specialty car like the RS6. I know there are people on here looking for one. That being said, what is it and what do you want out of it? (God my wife would kill me if she knew)

RobertV
March 15th, 2012, 03:09
What did you end up doing?

Brav
March 21st, 2012, 18:46
Bump.. can you tell me your location and colors on your car? I have a friend actively seeking a black RS6.