PDA

View Full Version : Key issues related to replacing alarm

mgerity
February 8th, 2012, 18:42
So I would really like to put an aftermarket alarm on my RS 6. The stock alarm and remote entry system drives me crazy. I can't stand the fact that it doesn't honk to confirm unlock. The range is awful. When you park the car and turn it off, you then go all the way around to the passenger door, only to find it still locked. (Seriously? It doesn't unlock all the doors when the vehicle is stopped and turned off like EVERY other car I've ever owned does?) There's no auto window raise. There's no 2-way alarm notification. And, it's protection is subpar (e.g. arm it with the windows down, then go over and open the door and it won't go off), and I doubt it has window-break detection or motion detection.

The problem I expect to find is that, due to the security in the key itself, I might get stuck having to lug around BOTH the full Audi keyfob and the aftermarket remote--not good at all. My solutions appear to be to remove the back half of the Audi keyfob, so I'm only carrying half of it, or I see an emergency key of some sort in the manual.

Any reason why I couldn't use the emergency key exclusively wth the aftermarket alarm remote? The manual says it's for emergencies only, but I assume that's because it doesn't operate the stock alarm system, and I wouldn't be using that anymore.