PDA

View Full Version : Need to remove exhaust manifolds to remove turbos?

SFJ_RS6
February 7th, 2012, 21:00
I'm in the process of removing my RH turbo. I managed to get the bolts out without any of them breaking (or my knuckles bleeding!). I've also got the other turbo connections removed, so now I can move the turbo around behind the exhaust manifold, but I can't quite get it to come clear of the manifold. So I'm close but not quite there. Bentley says to remove the exhaust manifold, but I'd really prefer not to if it can be done without. Anybody know?

Thanks,
Steve

speedtrapped
February 7th, 2012, 21:52
I removed mine off my extra engine, take a rubber mallet and tap it pretty hard. There is a seal, it sticks.

SFJ_RS6
February 8th, 2012, 04:20
Thanks speedtrapped. I played around with it a little more trying to get the turbo free with the manifold in place, but couldn't get it to come out. So I decided to go ahead and take the manifold off. Turned out not to be as bad as I thought - I was concerned about seized nuts and broken studs that I've experienced on other exhaust manifold jobs. I started off squirting all of the nuts with PC Blaster, and then used a 6 pt socket to get the 10 exposed nuts off and a 7 mm Allen on the 2 "hidden" ones. Nothing broke! My manifold came off easily - no persuasion required. Then I was able to get the turbo off - mission accomplished!

BTW - I like your having an "extra" RS6 engine available!!

4everRS
February 8th, 2012, 04:57
BTW - I like your having an "extra" RS6 engine available!!
You don't have an 'extra' RS6 engine?

Kidding, I think speed might be the only one.

speedtrapped
February 8th, 2012, 14:12
yah, the engine is hoisted and covered in storage, buyers come, want it, and then disappear. I have always thought I would one day, do a complete rebuild- compression lowering gaskets, port the heads, loba cams, bigger turbos gt30?, custom headers...squeeze a huge amount of Hp and torque out of her. I may still do it. But budget not in cards currently

kday
February 8th, 2012, 14:24
It's a good thing for all of us that there isn't a big market for replacement engines! I can't imagine there are too many to choose from.

speedtrapped
February 8th, 2012, 15:09
no, there are not and shokan asks big $ for block

Bigglezworth
February 8th, 2012, 18:03
I 'had' a spare engine for 2 years too..... I didn't have it as a replacement for either of the two RS6's here, but instead as an engine for a project car I was going to do. I was going to stuff it in to an NSX..... :) Elected to do something different project wise in the end and sold everything off.

Brav
February 8th, 2012, 18:39
If my engine blows, I'm putting an LS7 in it.

speedtrapped
February 8th, 2012, 19:08
someone actually put an LSA into an RS6 shell, discussed on audizine C5 chatterbox section

kday
February 8th, 2012, 19:12
You're probably referring to this project (http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39901) unless there are two people crazy enough to do it. :)

Brav
February 8th, 2012, 19:13
I wouldn't really, but wishful thinking. Bullet-proof, efficient, simple, light-weight, easy 630hp. A boy can dream..

speedtrapped
February 8th, 2012, 21:13
yep thats the project...I love it

Brav
February 8th, 2012, 21:28
You're probably referring to this project (http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39901) unless there are two people crazy enough to do it. :)

Just spent last few hours reading.. NUTS!! But wayy too much work for my talent and budget.