PDA

View Full Version : Car and Drive Bias

Aronis
February 5th, 2012, 19:09
Just reading this months Car and Driver.

They have an article on turbos and superchargers.

In the turbo section they talk about various turbo manufactures and list BMW as one of the bigger customers and don't say a word about Audi.

Is it me or didn't Audi have turbocharged cars for at least as long as BMW, and perhaps in more models than BMW???? No mention of Audi.

Then in the supercharge section they mention Audi in the long list or other SC cars.

So they then have an article comparing the A6 to the Lexus (A6 wins) and in the article they list cars they consider Sports Sedans (cars worthy of that name) namely the M5, CTSv but again NO MENTION of any Other Audi in an article which begrudgingly places the A6 on top! Do they complete forget the RS6? Hp, Grip, etc.....they writer supposed to be a Car Guy, but I guess he was born after 2003?

Mike

hahnmgh63
February 5th, 2012, 22:55
Probably consider Audi as just part of VW.

Aronis
February 6th, 2012, 02:12
My understanding is that Audi now has a much larger market share than BMW world wide, with the only lead for BMW in North America

Mike

ben916
February 6th, 2012, 03:30

In the turbo section they talk about various turbo manufactures and list BMW as one of the bigger customers and don't say a word about Audi.

Is it me or didn't Audi have turbocharged cars for at least as long as BMW, and perhaps in more models than BMW???? No mention of Audi.

Then in the supercharge section they mention Audi in the long list or other SC cars.

So they then have an article comparing the A6 to the Lexus (A6 wins) and in the article they list cars they consider Sports Sedans (cars worthy of that name) namely the M5, CTSv but again NO MENTION of any Other Audi in an article which begrudgingly places the A6 on top! Do they complete forget the RS6? Hp, Grip, etc.....they writer supposed to be a Car Guy, but I guess he was born after 2003?

Mike

Sounds like C&D might be "owned" by BMW..

Since they are the "experts", they know all...
I am tempted to write a letter....

Bigglezworth
February 6th, 2012, 04:51
That's a chuckle. As soon as you mention turbocharging, the first cars that come to mind are Audi, Saab, Volvo, Subaru, VW, Buick, Cummins, etc. which have all produced turbocharged vehicles for years/decades. Can't think of a situation where one would mention BMW in the discussion.

4.2Crew
February 6th, 2012, 11:35

Mike

Simply open the Car And Driver rag... Note the advertising proportion of each brand...

....Nuff said.

mdegracia
February 6th, 2012, 13:11
^ Exactly. Those mag editors have their noses so far up BMWs' ace...it's disturbing to say the least.

Aronis
February 7th, 2012, 00:24
But it's great to see them all eat crow when they are forced to declare an Audi as the winner.....A8L vs 750iL fox example, or 550 vs A6.....
but the bastards still paned the TTRS putting the 1M on top because the TTRS was too easy to drive..

Mike

SFJ_RS6
February 7th, 2012, 03:37
I've owned and enjoyed a variety of Audis over the past 20 years, and am also a long time subscriber to C&D. So, I'm always interested to see what C&D has to say about my favorite marque (a term I learned from C&D!). Given their bias for BMWs, I love it when they have to acknowledge that an Audi beat a BMW in a head-to-head competition.

skribe
February 7th, 2012, 03:53
It's amazing (and frankly disappointing) what a few nights out and the requisite four-figure dinner/drinks tab being picked up can do to bias otherwise "unbiased" journalists... Only saying it 'cause I've seen it.

ttboost
February 7th, 2012, 12:31
Geez...I've been around a little while and have been a car guy my whole life..but before the 335's, I had no idea BMW knew what a turbocharger was?

aussie rs6
February 7th, 2012, 14:17
my wife has a boring BMW 320I (oh the shame) and i keep telling her that " Do you know what BMW stands for? Buy More Worries!".:lovl:

Her car is very boring, reliable and economical and actually handles pretty well. I have tried in vain to have her upgrade it to a M3 V8 4 door, but she is awake to me.:hahahehe:

john

Aronis
February 7th, 2012, 17:48
I have no issue with BMW (I've had a 325 is and an M3, both great cars, I was looking for AWD in a larger sedan).

But the Bias found in C&D is fun to follow. An M5 is a great SUMMER Car.....that's it....otherwise it ends up being a garage queen on rainy days and from Oct to April in the northern climates.

I can't wait for the comparisons between the M5 and the new S6...M5 will win for what ever reason, but the S6 will be an excellent replacement for an aging RS6.

Mike

lswing
February 7th, 2012, 17:57
My brothers 2006 M5 sits in the garage more than half the year due to rain and bad weather. Drives a 2002 A4 the rest of the time:)

Brav
February 7th, 2012, 18:14
Like this magazine has anything to do with real knowledgeable enthusiasts.. its for the casual guy who likes cars, written by people who get paid and spiffed by the mfgs. Like Skribe, I have seen it as well, aslo for the aftermarket mags. C&D, R&T et al, all pretty much suck. Just general lack of real knowledge being written, and pushing the expected subjective opinions that people already expect, and all of the filler, because most of the journalists like to have something clever or witty to say when sometimes there isn't anything needed to be said.. Evo, Automobile, not so bad.

BMW did have some nutty F1 turbo engines in the 80s however.. and I have owned and thoroughly loved my E46 M3 and M6

Aronis
February 7th, 2012, 18:22
My brothers 2006 M5 sits in the garage more than half the year due to rain and bad weather. Drives a 2002 A4 the rest of the time:)

LMAO...

My dad has an M5 as well, and they drive the Ford Fusion all winter LOL....before that a Taurus Wagon and a Ford Explorer....booorrrrriiiinnnngggg vehicles.

I have a second hand 2008 A4 convertible as my back up car ...LOL...2.0 T....about twenty two horse power lol....

Mike

aussie rs6
February 8th, 2012, 04:56
another garage queen big time in winter is the E55. After a wet Houston day with initial spirited driving of my pals E55, I immediately christened it 'the widow maker' and proceeded with much caution mesmerised by the flashing traction control display light.