PDA

View Full Version : Dahlback mod

kilian tuning
February 1st, 2012, 18:36
Anyone experiences with these mods...?
Looks like it will suffer from heatsoak this way...

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee469/mavada1/13jx2pp5.png
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee469/mavada1/RS6.jpg

ben916
February 1st, 2012, 18:57
I think Speedtrapped is one of the only ones in the states?

speedtrapped
February 1st, 2012, 19:11
no issues at all...if ur sitting in traffic, w/o doubt. But remember air is dense and when ur driving its pushing thru...i never measured IATs, I actually took my set off and have stock on, I was trying to figure out root of a phantom MAF leak. I could log IAT's w/ stock and swap to DBR and measure...but I am jammed for a couple of more weeks. I even spoke with dahlback about it, he sort of answered in the tone(stupid american), air moves, and I have raced this set up...no heat soak.....
I actually almost sold my DBR intake(I have the complete stage 3 kit)...

speedtrapped
February 1st, 2012, 19:12
and I know a couple of members have the Apikol, Yokust and Na1mt...same design, less the CF engine cover

covertw12
February 1st, 2012, 19:15
I had it on my first RS6 ( formerly Daveykid's car - it came with it) and it worked very well and gave the car a great intake sound.... ( along with the ungodly deep Eissenman Race version exhaust).

I'd do it again over the other options out there.... but I suspect the Apikol kit for the $ is a far better option unless you love CF that much !!

Cheers ~

speedtrapped
February 1st, 2012, 19:36
Hey Erich!! how are you? yep, apikol is cheaper, anything DBR is pricey, and really save $700 and skip the CF engine cover

kilian tuning
February 1st, 2012, 19:45
with that airfilter so close to the engine there must be getting heat in...what are the gains...? or just sound/looks...?

speedtrapped
February 1st, 2012, 19:53
there are 2 schools, stock airbox w/ k&n or bmc, as the airbox has excess capacity or dbr/apikol intake....that said, as I have stated I have 1 of 2 stage 3 DBR RS6's in the US....I run everything in the kit, except I have the stock airbox back on with K&N's...I have felt no loss in power.....I can say this, my set up was dyno'ed at KMD 4 years ago on thier Maha....Dion is suppossed to get access to use the Maha again(in the works), I can run my car w/ stock box and see if there is a diff

yokust
February 1st, 2012, 23:38
I have dynos of the Apikol one, from same day. Installed Stock airbox 5 runs, installed Apikol intake made 6-7runs(make sure was adapted). And the Apikol Every run made more power to ground

I am sure if you really wanted to proof, I could pull up all the dyno runs and scan them in. And the same info can be obtained from Apikol

hahnmgh63
February 2nd, 2012, 04:40
By schooling I am an Aero major but too stupid for that so I had to fly planes. I have always though from the volume of the stock airbox that there was pleny of volume but the restriction lies in the air intakes to the aribox. The large round intakes to the carbon fiber airbox are just fine, it's just the silver plastic intakes that pankake down to accept air through the front grille is what's restirctive.

kilian tuning
February 2nd, 2012, 07:18
I have dynos of the Apikol one, from same day. Installed Stock airbox 5 runs, installed Apikol intake made 6-7runs(make sure was adapted). And the Apikol Every run made more power to ground

I am sure if you really wanted to proof, I could pull up all the dyno runs and scan them in. And the same info can be obtained from Apikol

I would love to see your scans.:)

speedtrapped
February 2nd, 2012, 11:15
By schooling I am an Aero major but too stupid for that so I had to fly planes. I have always though from the volume of the stock airbox that there was pleny of volume but the restriction lies in the air intakes to the aribox. The large round intakes to the carbon fiber airbox are just fine, it's just the silver plastic intakes that pankake down to accept air through the front grille is what's restirctive.
So, if the DBR/Apikol are installed then more air...I say this because both mate to front air scoops and then are also open all the way around, so def getting more vol in.

CornersWell
February 4th, 2012, 18:22
I also have the Dahlback air intakes. On the hottest days, there is an effect. Not major, though. I also have the Eisenmann and recommend changing out the stock DV's. It's a good set-up, though I haven't upgraded the ECU or TCU. At this point, I don't think I will. Just going to wait for the C7 to come along...

CW

Elevens
February 4th, 2012, 22:29
So you have the DB Air Intake and the Eisenman Exhaust, and have no plans to upgrade the ECU, TCU. Hmmmm...............................

speedtrapped
February 5th, 2012, 00:11
So the PO asked same question on RS246, and almost unanamisouly all members there said no way heat soak would kill performance. So I'm going to do a little experiment. I bought a remote thermometer and will reinstall the DBR CAI. It doesn't datalog, too expensive, bit I can video. I will tape thermo wire to end of ring that holds the filter, from the underside. Let the car sit and idle and get nice and hot. Record it. Then WOT and record if temperature drops enough. Put this baby to bed.

CornersWell
February 7th, 2012, 19:32
So you have the DB Air Intake and the Eisenman Exhaust, and have no plans to upgrade the ECU, TCU. Hmmmm...............................

Yup. For years, I wouldn't do anything that violated and invalidated the factory extended warranty. By the time the warranty lapsed, the car was old enough that I started thinking about replacements. However, I also started spending less and time at that home, and the importance of upgrading the RS6 diminished for me.

There's an APR dealer nearby, and I might take the plunge, but the car is now getting SO long in the tooth, that I wonder if I wouldn't just be better off going for something newer. The problem is, of course, what can replace the RS6? I like the CLK63 Black Series and Aston DBS, but neither has the capabilities of the RS6 (4-door, substantial trunk and AWD). I'm eagerly awaiting the C7 RS6, IF it comes. But, the price range, if it doesn't, probably won't make much sense to me ($150K, maybe?). In the alternative, I was trying to find a 4-matic E55 or E63 Estate (wagon), but I don't think they made any (and, frankly, I'm not really as much of an MB/AMG fan these days anyway). At least none that I can find.

CW

lswing
February 7th, 2012, 19:39
Here's the fuel....if you haven't driven a tuned RS6....now the match......you haven't driven an RS6.....:) I know it's not the best way to put it, but damn is the increase in torque and power a big lift!

I'm sure that 90+% of the driving experience is there without a tune...

speedtrapped
February 7th, 2012, 20:39
u could literally spend $500 on a stage 1flash(vendor left blank), and the car will come alive from your standpoint.

Elevens
February 8th, 2012, 02:21
Yup. For years, I wouldn't do anything that violated and invalidated the factory extended warranty. By the time the warranty lapsed, the car was old enough that I started thinking about replacements. However, I also started spending less and time at that home, and the importance of upgrading the RS6 diminished for me.

There's an APR dealer nearby, and I might take the plunge, but the car is now getting SO long in the tooth, that I wonder if I wouldn't just be better off going for something newer. The problem is, of course, what can replace the RS6? I like the CLK63 Black Series and Aston DBS, but neither has the capabilities of the RS6 (4-door, substantial trunk and AWD). I'm eagerly awaiting the C7 RS6, IF it comes. But, the price range, if it doesn't, probably won't make much sense to me ($150K, maybe?). In the alternative, I was trying to find a 4-matic E55 or E63 Estate (wagon), but I don't think they made any (and, frankly, I'm not really as much of an MB/AMG fan these days anyway). At least none that I can find.

CW

Your a better man than me CW. I simply could not resist releasing the Full potential of the beast as soon as I got it. I must admit it does tax the rest of the Drive-train, but I smile whenever I step on the gas and the Viper Tune (or any other Tune) Kicks in. The Torque is Relentless. Good luck in your search for a new Ride.......................

NSU RS6
February 8th, 2012, 04:17
This is the slip and slide thread I do not need to read.............

speedtrapped
February 8th, 2012, 14:01
if u are referring to flash or not, u are leaving a lot on the table if u leave the car stock, but then again I am a speed addict