PDA

View Full Version : Probable Problems. Need trans expert. Tozo?

4everRS
January 30th, 2012, 04:32
I was driving to MSP airport parking for a biz trip today and had a little problem. I drove for 1.5 hours without incident to the parking ramp. Then, going up the ramp I decide to roll down my windows in the relatively empty ramp, hitting the throttle hard going up the bumpy ramp. These cars sound so awesome.

Anyways, I notice myself not being pinned to the seat ad hard as I should. I look at the dash and see PRNDS lit up. Awesome. Soooo, I park the car, turn it off, and take a deep breath. Get out and look under the car. It's not pissing any fluid. I guess that's a positive. I counted to ten and started it again. No PRNDS lit up! I take a non eventful drive, shifting in tippy mode in 1st, 2nd, then briefly in 3rd. Things seem ok. Plug in the scanner:

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/1408f114.jpg

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/bc85851b.jpg

Either I burnt up the 2nd gear clutch packs, or I need fluid. My plan is to drop the pan and inspect. If I wrecked 2nd gear, will I see metal on the magnets?

For now I am gone all week for work and get to stew over this.

MaxRS6
January 30th, 2012, 04:44
Kyle- Dang- I hope it is realtively minor. I can tell you that I had the same ratio error during the turbo transplant. It came up during a sprited test when the turbos were overboosting. I thought for sure I had toasted the tranny. However; the indy tech determined the fluid was low (the idjuits at the Audi dealership had changed my tranny fluid just prior to this time). The indy tech topped off the fluid, and I haven't had an issue or error since.

The only time I had the PRNDS light up was when my tranny bit the final bullet.

I need a night cap anyway- it was a long weekend of converting accounting databases. I'll throw out a toast that your issue is a blip or is minor. The weather was perfect outside and I was stuck inside pounding out pennies. Oh well- gotta work to have play time until I find that sweet sugar momma. Wifey says that is fine with her as she'll be first in line with her lawyer- Ooof...;0

4everRS
January 30th, 2012, 05:00
I LOL'ed. You might want to start doing some "special" accounting to show your biz is losing money. Tell wifey she can have 1/2 of a failing company. Hehe. Oh man Randy, I hope I get to meet up with you sometime. If mrs. Max is around she'll probably punch me in the stomach. I hope your right about the tranny.

TozoM8
January 30th, 2012, 11:28
It could be a dirty trans cable connector on the (bottom front) of wet TCU or and low fluid. The first gear clutch was slipping, but because it shifts up fast, it shows 2nd gear incorrect ratio. The 1st gear clutch is on in second too.

4.2Crew
January 30th, 2012, 13:08
Crap!... Nothing worse than having to chew on this while traveling---and playing the "what if" game! If you need anything, give a shout.... I'm less than 15 minutes from MSP...

4everRS
January 30th, 2012, 13:24
It could be a dirty trans cable connector on the (bottom front) of wet TCU or and low fluid. The first gear clutch was slipping, but because it shifts up fast, it shows 2nd gear incorrect ratio. The 1st gear clutch is on in second too.Thanks for the input Tozo. I will inspect the footwell. I've not had a problem with that before, but there's a first time for everything.

4everRS
January 30th, 2012, 13:24
Crap!... Nothing worse than having to chew on this while traveling---and playing the "what if" game! If you need anything, give a shout.... I'm less than 15 minutes from MSP...

Thanks for the offer. I hope not to take you up on it. :)

MaxRS6
January 30th, 2012, 13:48
I LOL'ed. You might want to start doing some "special" accounting to show your biz is losing money. Tell wifey she can have 1/2 of a failing company. Hehe. Oh man Randy, I hope I get to meet up with you sometime. ..

Good idea- LOL...Only problem is she is also a CPA and somewhat good with numbers..;0 I too hope we get the chance to meet up. Mrs. Max is gonna go to HPT in June/13 for the event Josh is putting together. I certainly hope you make it to that- I'll bring Mrs. Max's choke collar in order to protect ya- she really looks good in it..;0

SteveKen
January 31st, 2012, 13:54

You might want to stew on this as well???

http://www.kendrish.com/galleries/RS6/conversion/hmmmmm.JPG

4everRS
January 31st, 2012, 14:28
Lol steve. I dunno. Is the software part all figured out?

Weird thing is too, the car is my daily driver and oddly enough I kind of like the auto. Maybe not right now, but when it's working, it's fine.

ThrillHouse
January 31st, 2012, 15:54
Do Want.

speedtrapped
January 31st, 2012, 16:06
steve, good question, software? I spoke with Pat @ redline speedworx...they are planning on a swap and said they have it figured out?

4everRS
January 31st, 2012, 16:25
I had some communications with an Audi RS6 tech who now works for a indy shop. He thinks that it could just be low on fluid, but to inspect the pan and filter. I mentioned the trans fill proceedure and he said that he usually puts the plug back in at 25*C instead of 35. Said that the ZF seems to like being slightly overfilled.

ben916
January 31st, 2012, 17:39
You might want to stew on this as well???

http://www.kendrish.com/galleries/RS6/conversion/hmmmmm.JPG

The "check engine light"? ;)
The fact that your car is from the MF future!? or the Y2K bug hit?

Just kidding!

I rarely get jealous of things, but after driving Riccardo's 6speed RS6 this summer, I wanted the 6 speed manual - BADLY!

nistah
January 31st, 2012, 18:07
I was driving to MSP airport parking for a biz trip today and had a little problem. I drove for 1.5 hours without incident to the parking ramp. Then, going up the ramp I decide to roll down my windows in the relatively empty ramp, hitting the throttle hard going up the bumpy ramp. These cars sound so awesome.

Anyways, I notice myself not being pinned to the seat ad hard as I should. I look at the dash and see PRNDS lit up. Awesome. Soooo, I park the car, turn it off, and take a deep breath. Get out and look under the car. It's not pissing any fluid. I guess that's a positive. I counted to ten and started it again. No PRNDS lit up! I take a non eventful drive, shifting in tippy mode in 1st, 2nd, then briefly in 3rd. Things seem ok. Plug in the scanner:

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/1408f114.jpg

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/bc85851b.jpg

Either I burnt up the 2nd gear clutch packs, or I need fluid. My plan is to drop the pan and inspect. If I wrecked 2nd gear, will I see metal on the magnets?

Wow same thing happend to me this weekend started car & see PRNDS lit up along with very weak shifts/performance then I park the car, turn it off and started it again. No PRNDS lit up! car shifts
normal. Any thoughts appreciated, car is under warranty so I want this sorted on warranty co's dime thank you very much:lovl:

4.2Crew
January 31st, 2012, 19:52
I had some communications with an Audi RS6 tech who now works for a indy shop. He thinks that it could just be low on fluid, but to inspect the pan and filter. I mentioned the trans fill proceedure and he said that he usually puts the plug back in at 25*C instead of 35. Said that the ZF seems to like being slightly overfilled.

Is the tech's first name Tom by any chance???...

kevin
January 31st, 2012, 21:15
We do the same here...

4everRS
January 31st, 2012, 21:44
Is the tech's first name Tom by any chance???...

Not Tom. Jeff. He was actually the first RS6 tech in the us back in 2003.

4.2Crew
January 31st, 2012, 22:59
Not Tom. Jeff. He was actually the first RS6 tech in the us back in 2003.
Is he a local MN boy?...

4everRS
February 1st, 2012, 00:09
Yep. Imola motorsports.

4.2Crew
February 1st, 2012, 00:23
Cooool!.... That being said, hope we don't send him too much corrective repair business!...

4everRS
February 4th, 2012, 19:15
Good news, I got home from the airport without incident. I babied it for the first 45 minutes or so. I then proceeded to do some harder acceleration. Ran across a twin turbo dodge stealth - lots of fun. Good thing the authorities weren't around. Got into triple digits a couple times. The stealth sounded nice, but was no match for the beast.

All seems well. I think the combination of going up the ramp, with the bumps, made for a ATF starvation situation. I will still drop the pan, maybe replace the filter and get more fluid in.

4.2Crew
February 4th, 2012, 22:21
Good to hear!... Thanks for the update. Not much else on this car as scay as the potential tranny problems!

MaxRS6
February 4th, 2012, 22:52
Good news about bullet dodge..