PDA

View Full Version : In the market for a RS6... do you think this one is a safe bet

wagensport
January 26th, 2012, 21:57
Hey guys, first post here. Im a volkswagen guy, making the move over to audi. Was thinking to go b7 s4, for the manual, but ive long dreamt of a c5 rs6 so i think im going to make the automatic sacrifice. Anyways, The vehicle im looking at has 117k on the clock, carfax says everything is straight with the beast. Carfax, also says the transmission was replaced at 90k along with the engines rear main seal. ( thru the life of the vehicle it appears to have a ton of service and replacements from audi dealers as well) Im thinking the rear main and the newer trans sounds like a safe bet..I just want the opinion of you folks. Ill link the carfax for anyone interested as well. Let me know what you think. Thanks guys
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=WUAPV64B43N905530&partner=ECL_0

wagensport
January 26th, 2012, 22:01
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=WUAPV64B43N905530&partner=ECL_0

Brav
January 26th, 2012, 22:07
not much to go off of there. new trans is a plus. link to ad? price? colors?

wagensport
January 27th, 2012, 00:40
http://www.chaseautogroupnj.com/web/2442/vehicle/1502839/2003-Audi-RS6

twinsteve
January 27th, 2012, 01:19
http://www.chaseautogroupnj.com/web/2442/vehicle/1502839/2003-Audi-RS6

This may or may mean anything, but this car has been on eBay FOREVER (or at least it seems that way)

hahnmgh63
January 27th, 2012, 02:05
It scares the hell out of me seeing all of the things that have been replace. Granted I'm at under 70K still but wow. The rear main seal should have been done by any competent shop when they did the tranny R&R at 97K to save another tranny pull later. A lot has been replaced which is probably a plus. Tranny, power steering pump, upper control arms (will probably need lowers if it doesn't already), fairly new rotors, looks clean, DRC done. It does show radiator replaced in 1/06 and again at 10/06, different dealers too? I would like to see how it looks underneath to be sure, any impacts or obvious leaks? I know it's at a Porsche dealer but what about an Audi dealer or independent inspection?

wagensport
January 27th, 2012, 03:01
I have noticed that the dealer has placed this rs6 on ebay several times. I live in Maryland where as the car is about 4 hours away from me. I was planing to go out and buy the car in place... but i inquired on shipping and was quoted $400 bucks which seems like an awesome deal to me compared to 8 hour commute. The way i was looking at it, all new parts = a big plus. I mean... that would be hoping its not a rolling lemon. They are offering a extended warranty of 4 years, for the price i was going to pay for it. Which... even though the dealership is ridiculously far away... i figured for $500 bucks i could have the vehicle shipped off back to them for repairs... which would seem worth it to me if something decided to go horribly wrong. I was thinking ( maybe hoping ) the rear main was done seperatly from the trans simply because the seal was caught at a differnt time then the trans.... i mean regaurdless its replaced now, I at least enjoy the fact that it looks like for the most part all work was performed by audi. Being an out of work mechanic ( out of work for quite a long time, because of a rediculous amount of points i incurred on my license when i was younger ) that i can handle 99.9% of any work that comes my way for just the cost of parts. What i dont want to be stuck with is a lemon rs6. I understand upkeep will be costly, but thats going to be the case with any high performance european car. Its just the price to play imo. That being said, and of you veterans see anything i should be terribly worried about. Thanks again guys, i really want to make the most out of purchasing my RS6, and from what i see on the boards, you folks are fairly indispensable.

hahnmgh63
January 27th, 2012, 03:13
If your getting it for close to the price listed on the internet with a warranty I would say go for it especially if you can do most of the mx yourself. What kind of extended warranty? Is this something you can't use anywhere else except for at that dealer? It would be an inconvenience to have a warranty that was only good at a dealer 4 hours from your house and what if you were on a cross country trip over a thousand miles away?

wagensport
January 27th, 2012, 04:52
I know im beginning to put the chicken before the egg here a bit but as far as mods... I was thinking of making the 12 hour or so commute to Alabama and having APR install there ecu/tip chip ( as i contacted them and their dealers are no longer "allowed" to do it themselves, they say because of updates to their chip but... i believe probably just incompetence on some of the apr dealers behalf) and the RNS-E radio/nav. Besides starting a costly exhaust expedition, i think those two options sounds pretty excellent. What are your thoughts, as far as where to spend excess car funds? BTW: pretty pressed to get apr because i really stand behind their products and work. I have honestly not been let down once by their power or reliablity. Now this is only from experience with my 1.8t volkswagen, which has been through an incredible amount of beatin brutality and tons of miles, but also ive had a deal of experience on their 2.7t chip and other assorted go fast parts and have been more then satisfied. ( i mention this because ive read the chip threads here) Also the car i linked to earlier has the SE exhaust. Does anyone here have some video/sound clip of particularly what the 4.2tt sounds like with this option. Ive seen the s6 4.2 clips with the SE option, but i have a feeling the boosted 4.2 sounds a bit different, and Im just curious. Again, thank you guys. I hope to become a permanent annoyance/fixture on these forums soon enough.

ben916
January 27th, 2012, 05:06
Hey wagen!
First off, welcome!
These cars are very addicting!

Are you basing your search on what is closest to you OR what is in your price range?

Typically it is not always best, at least there have been some examples of that shown, to purchase the lowest mileage one you can find.
There are also several examples that are 140k miles or more (Biggelzworth has one at 215k, MaxRS6 has one at 152k, Brav has on at 140k)

The 4.2tt has a different note that the N/A 4.2 due to the turbos, you will understand soon enough.

Depending on the state of the suspension, you might have to save that APR $$$$ for a new KWv3 or PSS9...

wagensport
January 27th, 2012, 05:19
Thank you! So i have heard about the suspension. I beleive the entire DRC system has been replaced by audi recently....not that it says much...and i have read time and time again on these forums that some of these higher mileage rs's are worth it. I know audi has the 4.2 down to a science and has for quite some time... so im somewhat trusting. Audi can build a solid 4.2 like chevy can build a 30 mpg 500hp pushrod v8. My main concern is the transmission. I feel safer knowing this car has had it replaced within the last 30k along with the rear main... now whether the trans was new or build from the scrap yard is a different story. Otherwise i have no problem working on the brakes, or suspension etc... at home. I just REALLY do not want to sink the cash or time into doing a transmission or pulling the engine for that matter in my back yard. I will if i have to, i have the knowledge and tools... but my back just doesnt want to lay on the ground for a nice dug in week long trans/engine pulling session.

wagensport
January 27th, 2012, 05:21
also about how much to pss9's cost for this beast? I recall seeing a price tag of 2k for my jetta, and shying away quickly. I can only imagine what they cost for this mammoth

JSRS6
January 27th, 2012, 05:32
You can get them for that, of not a little less. I paid around 1850 for mine.

wagensport
January 27th, 2012, 13:22
I was just emailed back by the dealership... the guy says the car has audi cpo im guessing referring to my warranty question... but isnt this vehicle way to old to qualify for an audi extended warranty?

twinsteve
January 27th, 2012, 18:09
I was just emailed back by the dealership... the guy says the car has audi cpo im guessing referring to my warranty question... but isnt this vehicle way to old to qualify for an audi extended warranty?

yes...I am guessing whatever "extended warranty" they are providing is worth next to nothing

hahnmgh63
January 27th, 2012, 20:46
Looks like DRC on 9/09 & Tranny on 2/10 both by Biener Nissan Audi who coindidentally I purchased my dailly drive tt from over the internet a few years back.

wagensport
January 31st, 2012, 02:44
Does anyone know about this? Good idea or bad idea?

bakes
January 31st, 2012, 13:44
At a minimum, I would have them send the car to the nearest Audi dealership for a pre purchase inspection. You need some neutral party to inspect the car and validate conditon, look for leaks etc. If there is nothing wrong with the car the place selling it shouldn't hesitiate to take it there for you.

You'd have to offer to pay for the inspection but it is worth it if you ask me.

kismetcapitan
January 31st, 2012, 19:59
I have an SE exhaust; it's pretty quiet on the inside, but roll down the windows and go full throttle and it sounds pretty nice, but it won't sound wild or aftermarket by any stretch of the imagination.

that car was on my short list when I bought my RS6 last August; location, interior (I wanted white leather), and mileage put me off. Am I getting old or has the price been dropping as it has been sitting for sale for so long?

The front grille RS6 badge is not in the correct location, I wonder why? And with the car having been for sale for so long, I do wonder why previous prospective buyers have passed on the car. Pre-purchase inspection is a must.

If it all checks out, don't forget to do the MTM TCU reflash along with the ECU. From stock to Stage 1 is a huge jump in power. Stage 2 (from Eurocharged) is a smaller difference, felt really only on the top end.

The RS6 is the first automatic car in my entire life (past cars: '86 ur-quattro, '90 300ZX TT, '94 Sentra SE-R, '91 Skyline GT-R), and after learning how to drive automatic (yes, it takes a bit to learn how to get the most out of a slushbox), I don't really feel I'm missing much. I've never driven an RS6 without the MTM TCU reflash, but I can say I can't ever recall feeling I was in the wrong gear, or just a millisecond away from it with a click of a paddle.

January 31st, 2012, 22:45
They are awesome cars. Just keep in mind that they take a little more maintenance $$ and time over your average Crown Vic. Ok, a LOT more. So don't stretch your budget so that you wind up with a really nice piece of yard art. I left 2k extra in mine when I bought it for the T/C but so far it doesn't look like it needs it :)

kevin
January 31st, 2012, 23:05
I left 2k extra in mine when I bought it for the T/C but so far it doesn't look like it needs it :)

yet... ;)

January 31st, 2012, 23:10
Ain't that the truth Kevin! But at least I have a little pad. Seems like there is always money to be spent, and I hope someday to drive it more than I've worked on it!

TechGurru
March 13th, 2012, 14:24
Hello, first post for me. I have worked for Audi for about 3 years now and currently own an '01 B5 S4 because about 3 years ago, these RS6 cars were still getting near 30 grand which was way too rich for me (although I really-really-really wanted one).

Looking now, prices have dropped 10 grand or so BUT the mileage on them have risen...I figured I would *try* and find one just out of CPO warranty because any longer, the mileage and repairs needed would be too much....well this car you all are talking about from Chase Auto after several emails and phone calls--I bought it.

I was able to pull up all the history and verify CPO just ended mid-2010 with the trans, both turbo's and about 12 grand in parts worth replaced within 20K ago (just before it went out of warranty at 100K). I had the seller take the car into the local Audi Dealer for under-carriage pictures, timing belt inspection, oil leaks, etc. etc. and it came back with clean bill of health needing nothing (tbelt due in 20K). We agreed on $17K which I think is a really good price considering all the work done and the fact I wanted black on black. I'm on the west coast so its due to arrive via carrier by this Friday :-)

Adam

SteveKen
March 13th, 2012, 16:34
Hello, first post for me. I have worked for Audi for about 3 years now and currently own an '01 B5 S4 because about 3 years ago, these RS6 cars were still getting near 30 grand which was way too rich for me (although I really-really-really wanted one).

Looking now, prices have dropped 10 grand or so BUT the mileage on them have risen...I figured I would *try* and find one just out of CPO warranty because any longer, the mileage and repairs needed would be too much....well this car you all are talking about from Chase Auto after several emails and phone calls--I bought it.

I was able to pull up all the history and verify CPO just ended mid-2010 with the trans, both turbo's and about 12 grand in parts worth replaced within 20K ago (just before it went out of warranty at 100K). I had the seller take the car into the local Audi Dealer for under-carriage pictures, timing belt inspection, oil leaks, etc. etc. and it came back with clean bill of health needing nothing (tbelt due in 20K). We agreed on $17K which I think is a really good price considering all the work done and the fact I wanted black on black. I'm on the west coast so its due to arrive via carrier by this Friday :-)

Adam

Sounds like a good deal and welcome.

I'm guessing that you should have no issues working on it if you need to do it.

TechGurru
March 13th, 2012, 16:52
Sounds like a good deal and welcome.

I'm guessing that you should have no issues working on it if you need to do it.

Thank you!
Yes, employee cost on parts, near-free help from our Audi Technicians and being and X-Ford Technician are the only reasons I am even considering this car. I will write back once the car arrives. Chase Auto has over 200 (all positive) feedback selling cars on eBay, so I hope this one is a reflection of that.

MaxRS6
March 13th, 2012, 17:31
....I bought it.

Welcome aboard the...

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Ozzy%20at%20Emerald/CrazyTrainPoster1.jpg?t=1293713060

Jimmy Joe
March 14th, 2012, 05:02
Hello Techgurru, welcome to the forum ! I'm pretty sure you are going to enjoy your beast to the maximun, besides driving it you'll get the chance to work on it and get the things done the way you want ! not many of us can do that. I, for one, would like to really know how to fix this cars. I guess that might take a little aprehension off of owning one. You are in an excelent position to really enjoy your car. ¿ To run an RS6 for the price of parts?. priceless.

TechGurru
March 30th, 2012, 15:50
Ok guys, the car arrived about 9 days ago... didn't want to jump on here until I had our shop detail it and due a full inspection because it came 2,970 miles on an open carrier! :doh: ...luckily, it was bottom row and against the cab!

It was so dirty I thought to myself what did I just do (it was that bad). $1050 for delivery was better on the pocket them $2500 for enclosed was my thinking. ...anyway

Our detail department spent a whole day on it and although there are small imperfections here and there, I'm happy with the condition buying it site-unseen...my cost $180. The battery was toast $175 my cost (I installed it); RF/LR DRC only had 2 bar in it (clunk over bumps).. my cost $15 bottle fluid and $20 to the tech, LOF $105 my cost. Power steering hoses to cooler slight leak $150 my cost + $20 to the tech. Brake flush due...another $20 to the tech. Driver seat rocks, my cost about $12 for bushings and I will replace at home in the garage. All 4 wheels curbed $200. ..Thats about it. Some dings here and there that I will pay PDR to due come this summer. The front bumper did have some minor work done to it at some point which is why I think the RS6 grill emblem was not in the right place..a 30 second fix to remove clip and position correctly.

So far everything seems to operate as designed. Its been pooring buckets here in Oregon, so as soon as there's a break, I will try and post pics! :addict:

Upgrades to come (probably in this order):
Valentine One Radar Detector
eBay RNS-clone DVD/BT Touchscreen radio head unit
oCarbon Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

lswing
March 30th, 2012, 17:41
Nice, other Oregon RS6! You should update your profile with location...

Bigglezworth
March 30th, 2012, 19:02
Don't lose sleep over the mileage pill. These are handbuilt engines that use the best of the best and as long as you properly maintain things, they will go strong for many many miles. I'm always surprised at the logic people have WRT mileage on vehicles. If you have a documented car that has high mileage, has great compression, and has had a host of mileage related maintenance done to it, they why would you bawk at it? These cars are in many instances (aside from things like seat wear) are in better condition than those that have yet to have any parts replaced. I'd take a car with 200+K with suspension, turbos, steering, brakes, tires, etc., all swapped out for newer parts over a 70-100K unit that has had none of that work done every day of the week and twice on sunday... Hey wait - I already did that.... :hihi:

PixieVC
April 3rd, 2012, 05:53
So many parts replaced means one of two things: It was a lemon, or it had an abusive owner who drove the crap out of it. Or it could be both.

I think it's a red flag - I'd stay far away from that car if it were my money. At the very minimum, I would advise you have a minimum $5,000 slush fund available to fix whatever goes wrong...

Edit: Oops. Guess you bought it. Good luck... :)

ben916
April 3rd, 2012, 06:29
Ok guys, the car arrived about 9 days ago... didn't want to jump on here until I had our shop detail it and due a full inspection because it came 2,970 miles on an open carrier! :doh: ...luckily, it was bottom row and against the cab!

It was so dirty I thought to myself what did I just do (it was that bad). $1050 for delivery was better on the pocket them $2500 for enclosed was my thinking. ...anyway

Our detail department spent a whole day on it and although there are small imperfections here and there, I'm happy with the condition buying it site-unseen...my cost $180. The battery was toast $175 my cost (I installed it); RF/LR DRC only had 2 bar in it (clunk over bumps).. my cost $15 bottle fluid and $20 to the tech, LOF $105 my cost. Power steering hoses to cooler slight leak $150 my cost + $20 to the tech. Brake flush due...another $20 to the tech. Driver seat rocks, my cost about $12 for bushings and I will replace at home in the garage. All 4 wheels curbed $200. ..Thats about it. Some dings here and there that I will pay PDR to due come this summer. The front bumper did have some minor work done to it at some point which is why I think the RS6 grill emblem was not in the right place..a 30 second fix to remove clip and position correctly.

So far everything seems to operate as designed. Its been pooring buckets here in Oregon, so as soon as there's a break, I will try and post pics! :addict:

Upgrades to come (probably in this order):
Valentine One Radar Detector
eBay RNS-clone DVD/BT Touchscreen radio head unit
oCarbon Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

I need to know how to do this one also!

Brav
April 3rd, 2012, 07:16
I need to know how to do this one also!

Same here!

vitalian
April 3rd, 2012, 15:32
Me three!

MaxRS6
April 3rd, 2012, 22:55
...Good luck... :)

I vote Avatar of the year..;0 +1- Whatever Pixie posts

Robert Wendel
April 11th, 2012, 05:12
Mine is for sale
Low milage - around 33,000
Original owner
New Transmission last summer
Actually new engine - so current motor less than 7500 miles on it - long story but new engine paid for by local Audi dealer after the engine died following their timing belt maintenance

Robert Wendel
April 11th, 2012, 05:16
mine is for sale
low milage about 33,000
New motor provided about 7500 miles ago so current motor very low miles - faulty mechanic work that resulted in a timing belt disaster/issue that caused the motor to seize and die
Transmission failed July 2011 and replaced

TechGurru
May 9th, 2012, 18:10
Well, I am sad to say I have to make a tough decision on what car I ultimately keep (the RS6 or the S4). With a new baby now, I realized I have to free up some time and funds so one of my 3 cars must go. I am having a hard time desiding on which to keep, so I am posting both cars for sale and see what happens.

119,000 miles
Service is up to date. The timing belt is not due for 20,000 more miles. (reciepts provided)
Just passed emissions (DEQ) last week! First owner had the vehicle Certified Pre-Owed for 100,000 mile Audi Warranty and during that time it has had the following repairs done:
Transmission replacement
Both turbo's replaced
Radiator replaced
Alternator replaced
Power steering pump replaced
(4) new Pirelli Pzero Rosso tires (7/32nds remaining)
Suspension replaced under recall (all new struts)
There's more but these are the big items
NO oil leaks etc :-)

. . ..within the last 2-years all of the above was done totaling about $15,000 in parts ALONE.
I just had the car detailed and serviced at Audi including new factory Audi specific RS6 oil, filter, wiper blades and new factory Audi battery.

You can read thoughout this thread (above) for more details or text me at 5O3-73O-O975 if you are interested. I will try and get pictures up, or I can text/email you some.
Based on my findings with other RS6's out there and with all the work that has been done at Audi and work that I have done over the last couple of months, I would like to see $22K.

The car doesn't need anything (which is why I bought it), just drive/enjoy it !!!

-Adam

PS: Should I make a new topic?