PDA

View Full Version : 2-3 shift sticking under WOT

kismetcapitan
January 25th, 2012, 19:14
I found that my transmission, whether in manual, drive, or sport, will not shift from 2-3 when I have it floored (w/kickdown depressed) unless I let off the gas. 1-2 happens seamlessly. Due to concerns over my license, I haven't tested 3-4 at WOT.

Eurocharged Stage 2 flash, MTM TCU. Any ideas? It *feels* like the engine is really screaming at the end of 2nd gear and the transmission doesn't want to attempt the shift until the torque is reduced, and then the shift is a bit rough. That's what I'm imagining anyways.

SzymekCRX
January 25th, 2012, 19:17
Can You check for any ECU/TCU codes ?

kismetcapitan
January 26th, 2012, 00:11
I've run Rosstech, no codes in the TCU and ECU codes weren't relevant (2nd cooling fan - intermittent).

na1mt
January 26th, 2012, 01:10
That would make it a mechanical issue if there aren't any codes would be my guess.

4everRS
January 26th, 2012, 01:58
Pretty odd. I can only guess, and I guess it's a valve body issue.

kismetcapitan
January 26th, 2012, 02:01
TCU never throws any codes, which makes this a bit worrisome. Drivetrain issues are happening in both my cars; my Skyline finally fried its clutch the last week I was in Korea, three weeks ago. And now I'm worrying about the torque converter. <sigh> at least our engines are relatively bulletproof.

Has anyone else ever encountered this issue of sticking gears?

kismetcapitan
January 26th, 2012, 02:04
Pretty odd. I can only guess, and I guess it's a valve body issue.

that would be especially odd as the car came with a very recently installed Level 10 valve body...

4everRS
January 26th, 2012, 02:09
When was the valve body done? There was a key employee who left level 10 for 512. He knew and did everything. I don't know exactly when he left or remember his name. It was probably 2 years ago. This is when level 10 started to go downhill. I shouldn't talk as I have not had personal experience with them. Maybe others will chime in.

kismetcapitan
January 26th, 2012, 02:36
it was done early 2011; I have the receipt in my file. It took quite some time to discover this issue, because I rarely give the car full beans through that many gears.

speedtrapped
January 26th, 2012, 02:49
My level 10 trans has not given me a problem, and I beat on it. But I have heard that they can have problems from time to time. Tozo is on here from time to time, or pm him on Audizne...he might be able to point u in the right direction

TozoM8
January 26th, 2012, 03:26
I would scan it with vag-com, ign on, transmission, measuring blocks and press it to the floor to see if the kick down switch working. Sounds silly, but sometimes the carpet slides forward and stops the pedal from hitting the switch.

lswing
January 26th, 2012, 06:13
He's saying the kickdown is pressed down, all the while he's hoping to shift up gears.

All I can say is I get practically full power at 3/4 throttle, and it feels like the car is going to rip itself apart when my foot gets close to, or hits the kickdown, which drops a gear obviously.

Maybe your confusing the tcu by accelerating with the downshift (kickdown) depressed???

4everRS
January 26th, 2012, 13:23
Shouldn't matter if the kickdown is hit, it should shift either way when it hits redline.

hahnmgh63
January 26th, 2012, 14:01
The guy who left Level 10 and started his own business is Sam and it was about 3 years ago he started www.517trans.com (http://www.517trans.com) , he is really big with the S4tt crowd with 500bhp engines on the 5HP19 but does do the 5HP24's. Curiously he also does a lot of Diesel trans for the Dodge/Cummings engines and such.

4everRS
January 26th, 2012, 18:26
There ya go. Sam. 517. Not 512.

kismetcapitan
January 26th, 2012, 18:46
would be annoying to have to redo the valve body, seeing as it was one of several key points in choosing my car (upgraded valve body already done).

I ran some tests this morning. 1-2 shift goes smoothly with the kickdown switch pressed, and shifts at 6500. 2nd gear runs to 7000 and if I'm pressing the throttle all the way to the kickdown switch but not engaging it, it shifts into 3rd, but with a bit of a jerk.

4everRS
January 26th, 2012, 21:28
Tested mine today. Shifts at about 6500 with or without kickdown at WOT.

TozoM8
January 26th, 2012, 21:53
It is not a valve body problem. It will shift when the TCU tells it to shift. The TCU will shift when it sees the right throttle position---RPM---vehicle speed. Did you have the battery going dead recently? I would do a throttle adaptation with vag-com and go from there.

kismetcapitan
January 26th, 2012, 23:08
Thanks Tozo, I saw the function on Ross-Tech but haven't tried it yet. I did disconnect the batteries a couple times in November, when I was swapping over to dual PC925s.

SzymekCRX
January 27th, 2012, 06:56
Tozo, I wouldn't go for manual TB adaptation because it's done automatically (in my RS6 like every second/third start) !

Go to measuring block 60 in the engine module and check min and max values for all (4) values

hahnmgh63
January 27th, 2012, 16:26
I would recommend the throttle adaption too. The manual recommneds the Throttle adaption on KWP-2089 protocol cars anytime:
The vehicle's battery has been disconnected and re-connected
The ECU has been removed and reinstalled
The Throttle Body has been cleaned or removed and reinstalled
The Accelerator Pedal has been removed and reinstalled

ben916
January 27th, 2012, 18:52
I would recommend the throttle adaption too. The manual recommneds the Throttle adaption on KWP-2089 protocol cars anytime:
The vehicle's battery has been disconnected and re-connected
The ECU has been removed and reinstalled
The Throttle Body has been cleaned or removed and reinstalled
The Accelerator Pedal has been removed and reinstalled

REALLY?!?!?
I installed Plus Pedals and didn't do anything but start her up and drive......

hahnmgh63
January 27th, 2012, 18:59
Just saying, that's what the book say's. I also installed plus pedals and didn't do an adaption and had my battery disconnected (engine out of the car, and cleaned the throttle body) for 6 months and didn't do one yet but plan on it in the next week or so.

hahnmgh63
January 28th, 2012, 02:13
Correction for anyone that cares, we use the KWP-2000 protocol, my tt uses the 2089.

ben916
January 28th, 2012, 02:30
Just saying, that's what the book say's. I also installed plus pedals and didn't do an adaption and had my battery disconnected (engine out of the car, and cleaned the throttle body) for 6 months and didn't do one yet but plan on it in the next week or so.

Is this a VAG COM thing?

hahnmgh63
January 28th, 2012, 02:53
The dealer does it with the VAS program but Vagcom does have the ability to do it too, actually fairly simple.