PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads

ben916
January 23rd, 2012, 03:19
Ok, this thread will be pancaked with "Search you dumb M**F**ER!!" or "We chatted about this a bajillion times already..."

So I had Raven MS in Long Beach change out the brake fluid yesterday as it had NEVER been done before. It was Absinthe Green with bits of black pepper and the paint on the calipers banjo bolts had never been cracked so I know it was never performed!

Nevertheless, Matt took Selma out for a "test" of the DRC and the new brake fluid... He comes back and my brakes have THAT smell of heavy use. I didn't really think much of it and drove home.
I get home, look at my rotors and there is a huge blue circle in the middle of the front rotors. I am not blaming Matt for "testing" but I am more concerned with the EBC Reds that are installed, they are melting...

So now the question:
Which pads to go with now?
Hawk HPS Ceramic? http://hawkbrakesdirect.com/p-369-hawk-performance-ceramic-brake-pads.aspx
Hawk HPS Perf St? http://hawkbrakesdirect.com/p-364-hawk-hps-performance-street-brake-pads.aspx
Ferodo DS2500? can't find a size for these at the time of writing

P.S. - on the DRC front - Matt stated that my suspension was scary at 80mph...

kday
January 23rd, 2012, 05:05
The smell of hot brakes meant he was doing his job!

I don't know anything about EBC pads beyond what I've read here but I do not plan on buying any based on that. I have had good experiences with both Hawk HPS and Ferodo DS2500 on an almost-as-heavy car with almost-as-large brakes. (And the DS3000s were awesome at the track.) The Hawks lasted a long time and felt pretty ordinary. The DS2500s have more bite.

hahnmgh63
January 23rd, 2012, 07:49
I flush my fluid every 2 years with the Porsche DOT 5.1 non-silicone stuff.

Brav
January 23rd, 2012, 10:40
Dude, did you not read any of my threads? EBC Reds are SH*T. Those pads caused me so much pain and heartache. Also, did you see my car there? I left it during my trip to Italy. I always had over-bluing under light usage and over-temping issues under moderate, which always led to vibration problems and pulsation under braking.

MaxRS6
January 23rd, 2012, 13:07
Here is my less than .03 worth.

I had been using the EBC reds. This weekend I had some time...so I put the Hawk Plus pads on the rear. I have the Carbotech Bobcats on the front and they did not need a change yet. What an immediate difference in stopping power and bite! However; the Plus pads are meant for the track and they squeal like a pig herd that had a tazer net thrown on em. I put the Hawk Plus pads on just to get a feel for them as they may be in for a workout in early March- the Hawk Plus will be on the back, running Ferodo 3000 for the front, new rotors, and a fresh brake fluid change of Motul RBF600- :)

I have a rear set of the HPS Perf Street set in a UPS truck headed this way. I am going to throw them on upon receipt for the street use. I am hunting down a HPS Perf Street set to go on the front with my Alcon brake setup.

ben916
January 23rd, 2012, 16:33
Dude, did you not read any of my threads? EBC Reds are SH*T. Those pads caused me so much pain and heartache. Also, did you see my car there? I left it during my trip to Italy. I always had over-bluing under light usage and over-temping issues under moderate, which always led to vibration problems and pulsation under braking.

I saw your car there, right in front. I checked the rotors and they seemed fine to me, well, to the extent that I didn't drive your car.

I had been using the EBC reds. This weekend I had some time...so I put the Hawk Plus pads on the rear. I have the Carbotech Bobcats on the front and they did not need a change yet. What an immediate difference in stopping power and bite! However; the Plus pads are meant for the track and they squeal like a pig herd that had a tazer net thrown on em. I put the Hawk Plus pads on just to get a feel for them as they may be in for a workout in early March- the Hawk Plus will be on the back, running Ferodo 3000 for the front, new rotors, and a fresh brake fluid change of Motul RBF600- :)

I have a rear set of the HPS Perf Street set in a UPS truck headed this way. I am going to throw them on upon receipt for the street use. I am hunting down a HPS Perf Street set to go on the front with my Alcon brake setup.

This is what I am looking for...
I am not looking for late braking and then toss out the 20 ton anchor to reign in the beast at the stop light.
And skip the hog farm/tazering, already endured that from the Frozen rotors and the EBC reds for 600 miles of audio terror.

Brav
January 23rd, 2012, 16:41
Ben - this is because i had all rotors turned and got rid of the EBC reds about 2 weeks ago. Thats why they look normal now :) I am running cheap posi-quiets which I think were around 150 for front and rears.

lswing
January 23rd, 2012, 16:57
Again, the Hawk HPS Streets work, no noise or dust, but not a lot of bite until you get them hot in the corners. I'm mostly happy with them, great for daily driving and reliability I think, but not that oh shit you slammed on the brakes bite that is addicting. They do get some bite when warmed up, but that usually doesn't happen around town or freeway much.

lswing
January 23rd, 2012, 17:01

About the speed my DRC gets sketchy too....but that's way more than the speed limit so we should be fine, I'm sure that's what Audi was thinking...

ben916
January 23rd, 2012, 18:03
About the speed my DRC gets sketchy too....but that's way more than the speed limit so we should be fine, I'm sure that's what Audi was thinking...

Oh for shame! It sure is! (unless no one is looking:) ) John - shhhhhh....

So the HPS need to be warmed up a little?
Do they leave huge Blue rings on your rotors?

lswing
January 23rd, 2012, 18:07
Looked at my rotors last week and looking good, no blue rings or polka dots. The compound seems good to me, gets the job done when you're driving hard, without toasting your rotors. I would still only rate them a B+ due to the lack of grab around town, but that being said you can't have it all with pads. They work, no problems, and that part of it is really nice...

Brav
January 23rd, 2012, 21:31
Looked at my rotors last week and looking good, no blue rings or polka dots. The compound seems good to me, gets the job done when you're driving hard, without toasting your rotors. I would still only rate them a B+ due to the lack of grab around town, but that being said you can't have it all with pads. They work, no problems, and that part of it is really nice...

This is true, what is best will come down to personal preference. And honesty.. real world driving scenarios.

ThrillHouse
January 23rd, 2012, 23:23
All this pad talk makes me rethink the EBC yellows I have waiting to put on this summer at some point (on new OEM rotors)

arS6
January 23rd, 2012, 23:56
All this pad talk makes me rethink the EBC yellows I have waiting to put on this summer at some point (on new OEM rotors)

Well if you decide to toss the yellows, sell them to me. I've been wanting to try Something with a little more bite than the reds. I've been using reds for about 2 years wih no issues. Actually, I did remove the reds once and put on track only pads to clean up the rotor. Then the reds went back on and are working fine with no issues.

4everRS
January 24th, 2012, 01:25
I think I many be one of very few owners that don't have an issue with the DRC (knocking on wood). No less than 3 times per month I have my car at or above 140. The suspension has always been composed. Even taking turn 1 at BIR at 140 feels alright.

Something is screwed up if it feels bad at 80

4everRS
January 24th, 2012, 01:29
Looking very forward to hearing your feedback on the pads Mad Max. And a GoPro video too!

MaxRS6
January 24th, 2012, 01:45
Looking very forward to hearing your feedback on the pads Mad Max. And a GoPro video too!

tick..tick..tick- if the stars continue to line up- I hope to do such research- Purely for research purposes of course for my friends..

4everRS
January 24th, 2012, 01:48
What a great guy. And right in the middle of tax season!

ben916
January 24th, 2012, 04:32
Something is screwed up if it feels bad at 80

Things were GREAT with the DRC for the 1st 6 months then something strange happened and I don't know what it was but the car just didn't corner properly or handle properly...

QuattroRS
January 24th, 2012, 06:05
After finally getting my EBC reds broke in and quiet....all things seem fine. No hot spots on the rotors but I dont drive in stop and go traffic. Hmmm, I guess its time to just monitor and continue.

MaxRS6
January 28th, 2012, 16:16
I received the Hawk Street pads for the rear and threw them on. The Hawk Plus tazered net hog herd squeal is gone, and the hogs are penned until the next play weekend.

My initial impression is they do the job and they are quiet. As expected- not quite the bite of the Hawk Plus. However; I'm pleased with the switch to the Hawk pads with less than 100 miles rolled.

MaxRS6
January 28th, 2012, 16:23
Things were GREAT with the DRC for the 1st 6 months then something strange happened and I don't know what it was but the car just didn't corner properly or handle properly...

Bite the bullet- strip the DRC cancer out- throw the KW v3 on- Have fun!

Tell family CFO you are doing it for the children. Your purchase will help the economy, providing economic boost, employment along the supply chain, tax revenue, and ultimately providing opportunities for your daughter. You don't want the children to be deprived do you???? 00

Brav
January 28th, 2012, 16:33
Lol@ best brake noise description.

MaxRS6
January 28th, 2012, 17:05
^ .......

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Misc/napoleon-the-pig.jpg?t=1327770541

gazzab
March 10th, 2012, 04:28
Ben - this is because i had all rotors turned and got rid of the EBC reds about 2 weeks ago. Thats why they look normal now :) I am running cheap posi-quiets which I think were around 150 for front and rears.

Brav,

I am about to do my RS4 brake pads, Zechausen recommended the Posi-Quiets for street use, how have you found them, I don't do tracks these days so just for street use.

Cheers Gazzab

Brav
March 10th, 2012, 05:07
Brav,

I am about to do my RS4 brake pads, Zechausen recommended the Posi-Quiets for street use, how have you found them, I don't do tracks these days so just for street use.

Cheers Gazzab

They aren't bad at all for the money. I did over temp them once with repeated freeway stops. Started smoking and some squeel here and there. Bt they are fine. If you arent going to track or Autocross or crazy canyon carve you should be OK. Repeated braking over short term, you will need to upgrade.

gazzab
March 10th, 2012, 05:11
They aren't bad at all for the money. I did over temp them once with repeated freeway stops. Started smoking and some squeel here and there. Bt they are fine. If you arent going to track or Autocross or crazy canyon carve you should be OK. Repeated braking over short term, you will need to upgrade.

If upgrade what would you go to next?

Gazzab

Brav
March 10th, 2012, 05:13
I will probably run Hawk next.

gazzab
March 10th, 2012, 05:25
Cheers Gazzab

kismetcapitan
March 12th, 2012, 20:00
generally, pads with lots of initial bite will fade quicker. More sporting pads need warmup time but won't melt away so quickly. I'll take pads that feel greasy when cold over pads with "bite" any day of the week. Depending on the pad though, it may need some preheating. During winters in my old Skyline (with track-spec pads), in the first minute of driving, I'd drag the brakes a bit while moving forward. I forgot once, and had to panic stop from 100mph, and the lack of stopping power from ice-cold sport pads left me with brown underwear and a lesson I won't forget!

and remember that we don't have to deal with just braking. I smelled smoking pads after a very spirited exercise in high speed corners and never really hit the brakes. It's that damned traction control that uses brakes instead of limited slip diffs.

but RS6 drivers are a more diverse bunch than people really focused on highly tuned cars. So pads with lots of initial bite could suit a majority of us. They just won't hold up when you start to really flog this two-ton beast.

Ben, maybe check both the health of your DRC (pressure) and alignment? I've found that pressure changes in the DRC system can throw the alignment out. And if the DRC needs servicing, that means a realignment as well.