PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood 9980HD installation - Assistance dearly needed

formula1man
January 19th, 2012, 22:37
So, rather than get a RNS-E so the instal would be somewhat easy, as there is plenty of information provided, I decided to risk it and purchase a Kenwood 9980HD receiver. I could really use some help with all the parts I would need to make this happen. I also would like to rid the Amp as I have 2 from my previous 5000T. The navigation I see that it may need a special adaptor for it to work and the CAN-BUS as well. After looking at all of the possibilities for failure by purchasing incorrect of unneeded parts, I feel fairly lost at this point and any help would be greatly appreciated.

bmlee007
January 20th, 2012, 02:41
Crutchfield sells those, you could call them and most likely get everything you need for the install.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX9980/Kenwood-Excelon-DNX9980HD.html?search=kenwood+9980

formula1man
January 20th, 2012, 17:42
Well they were certinaly friendly, but have difficulties with the RS6. I recall purchasing Alpine Pro speakers and they stated 5 1/4", then I found we have 6 1/2's (arrg).

formula1man
January 21st, 2012, 23:28
Anyone else have any assistance? FAKRA single or double antenna with amplifier to use the shark fin? Correct wire harness? I am going to keep the Bose amp initially to see how a 8" sounds....
Thanks much

kday
January 22nd, 2012, 00:51
For my RNS-E install I used the GPS antenna lead that runs to the defunct OnStar system which is under the glovebox behind the carpet. That is a single FAKRA connector. You'll need an ~18" extension to go from there to the head unit.

formula1man
January 22nd, 2012, 01:35
Thanks, I ordered one today along with the regular connectors that will hopefully work after reading here, Audiworld and 246. Appreciate the assistance!

Benman
January 22nd, 2012, 18:39
I'm subscribing to this thread, definitely want to know how it comes out. The Kenwood looks great. :cheers:

formula1man
January 23rd, 2012, 20:56
I should have all of the gear for the install this Friday (crossing my fingers as they are coming from 3 different suppliers). I will take pics of the trials and tribulations. BTW anyone perhaps interested in some brand new Alpine 13SPX-Pros? I have pairs for the front and rear. They fit in the RS6 fine. I just may go with kenwood all around at this point.