PDA

View Full Version : Selling special sauce.....

speedtrapped
January 18th, 2012, 02:32
Ok, the headline is an attention grabber, purposefully. I'm at a crossroads of ownership. Since buying my beast, I have- added wagners, BBS-gts, kwv3(came with), snow stage 3 meth, new rotors, brake pads, a complete stage 3 DBR cosworth engine(swapped it has 56k miles), new timing belt kit(et al), new linkage in front, Custom built level 10 trans and TC, milltek cutback from the DBR racing cats, wideband with gauge, and a custom CF spoiler lip. Ok, so I love the RS6, but alas it's getting long in tooth. Spool, I was wondering what about an 08' RS4 with 49k miles, black/black coupe 6 speed with a bumper to bumper platinum coverage aftermkt warranty? Def less power, but updated. Down road maybe do the APR stage supercharger kit, 590hp. The car is mint, and well maintained by Dion, my Audi mechanic. He has stage 1 APR, custom exhaust...he wants $lo $40ks........am I crazy? Our cars are 9 years old! Also, for power I have a stupid fast cts-v wagon that I love, and frankly can spend another $3k to get to make reliable 620/630 rwp.
Flame on, but any advice at this time of indecision would be helpful. Also I am 6-4", I have driven an RS4 before, I fit, but back seat didn't exist behind me, like my previous 911.

speedtrapped
January 18th, 2012, 02:33
Damn autocorrect, spool is Soooo

kday
January 18th, 2012, 02:39
Long in the tooth?? My RS6 with 100,000 miles is the newest in my 4 car fleet by both age and mileage!

Maybe you should put the RS6 motor in the RS4... it's not impossible.

ttboost
January 18th, 2012, 02:47
I feel your pain Stephen...I habitually spend big loot on a cool car, ALWAYS with the intentions of modding it, spend thousands, sometimes tens of thousands modding it, get bored and dump it...only to start again on another POS... gotta stop the bleeding...my advice is just keep it and drive it....good luck with whatever you decide though...M

speedtrapped
January 18th, 2012, 02:52
Long in the tooth?? My RS6 with 100,000 miles is the newest in my 4 car fleet by both age and mileage!

Maybe you should put the RS6 motor in the RS4... it's not impossible.
I do have an extra cosworth, ;)

speedtrapped
January 18th, 2012, 02:54
I feel your pain Stephen...I habitually spend big loot on a cool car, ALWAYS with the intentions of modding it, spend thousands, sometimes tens of thousands modding it, get bored and dump it...only to start again on another POS... gotta stop the bleeding...my advice is just keep it and drive it....good luck with whatever you decide though...M
no shite, bleeding is spot on. I'm going to drive dion's car for a couple of days just to see if I really want to give up. He is not badgering me, but he wants my car badly, as he did all the work and knows the car better then me, mechanically.

ttboost
January 18th, 2012, 03:00
no shite, bleeding is spot on. I'm going to drive dion's car for a couple of days just to see if I really want to give up. He is not badgering me, but he wants my car badly, as he did all the work and knows the car better then me, mechanically.

Drive it for a while and drive it EVERYWHERE you've driven the RS6. Make your decision wisely my friend...My garage is almost done, so I will finally continue the modding on the RS6. Still need to do engine mounts, downpipes, wastegates, etc.. I will likely go back old school and tt another muscle car...thinking a 66-67 Chevelle...

JSRS6
January 18th, 2012, 03:10
Stephen, I don't know what to say...

ttboost
January 18th, 2012, 03:24
Stephen, I don't know what to say...

I didn't either....I tried to post a few times and didn't know what to say...

skribe
January 18th, 2012, 03:43
.................................................. .................................:snow:

ben916
January 18th, 2012, 04:21
Take example from one forum member -> Fonzie Audi

There are countless times where peeps sell their RS6 and about a month later, they wish they had it back.

Sounds like, to me, you need to find a set of Euro Recaros and be done with it...

kismetcapitan
January 18th, 2012, 09:44
ever stop to think and wonder why your mechanic wants your car so badly?

For better or worse, Audis are so far ahead in their technology that, nine years old, the only "old" aspect I can think of is that there's a cassette deck in the dash. No nav, auto-syncing BT for my phone, no in-car wifi, no finger touch spelling, or voice recognition. But that can all be easily added.

Or how about magnetorheological dampers like on the R8? Or head up display, or night vision? Does one really need that?

The only thing about an RS4 I can think of is that it's a manual. And less powerful. And smaller, but not in a good way.

Nine years on, the only Audis to top the RS6 is, well, the RS6 (C6), and that V10 makes the C6 a poorer handling car than the C5. And the V10 R8.

Long in the tooth, is a phrase I wouldn't use with the RS6. Maybe the styling? When I chose this car, consideration was given to the R8 4.2, and the Nissan GT-R (R35). I just can't give up the practicality however; as you have a wagon, you might be able to. In that case, go two-seater. Lotus Exige. Or if it must be an Audi, I'd wait for the resurrection of the Quattro (the C5 will remain quite relevant until then!) If you're going to have contrasting cars, for god's sake make them contrast!

speedtrapped
January 18th, 2012, 10:46
Long in tooth is more of a description of my relationship with cars....I tend not to hold them long. D3 S8, 1 year, CL65 amg 4 months.....I really needed someone to say, he'll ya do it. I do luv my RS6, and it's fast as shite. More then likely you can be assured this is a wasted thread. In order for me to make car fun reliably I would have to drop some big cheese. Also, my S8 was a great car, but ironically when I bought the RS6 I fell in love with forced induction....1st turbo'ed car. Matter of fact I was driving the RS6 so much, the S8 sat.
Dion knows it's mechanically near perfect, and since I am only 1 of 2 DBR stage 3 in states, unique. Alas, out of pocket for me is $14k, and that's still with a NA engine.
Thanks guys, I had a moment of insanity. $10k down the road can be used for something useful like manual swap.

sandcam
January 18th, 2012, 12:35
I think about selling the RS4 every day now that I've owned an RS6 for about a year. I'm sure that will wear off over time but who knows. The RS4 is bone stock except for a milltek exhaust and I recently had the RS6 custom tuned so it is significantly faster than the RS4. (ditched the MTM tune after about 4 months). I bought the RS4 brand new and just turned 30k miles the other day. It's a fantastic car. Totally different than the RS6. I'm 6'4 as well and fit in it just fine. RS6 is my daily driver and the RS4 sits in the garage staying perfect. If I feel like being sporty, getting into the twisties and being loud the RS4 is the way to go. If I just want to cruise, relax and build effortless speed on the highway I drive the RS6. They really are night and day.

hahnmgh63
January 18th, 2012, 12:55
Keep the RS6 and update it just a little (other than power goodies obviously since your already there) with and RNS-E & Bluetooth, maybe some LED tails if you don't have them already then if you feel the need for another car just buy another & keep the RS6. I currently have the RS6 & 5 other cars & a truck & a motorcyle. If you need more room just build a shop. I'm still thinking of getting another Viper(GTS (faster than the SRT) this time instead of a RT/10, maybe a used 997 Turbo, selling the tt & getting a newer A3 or Golf Diesel for the usual daily commuter (new 2.0t Diesel is a screamer & there is aftermarket stuff that bumps it up well & over 40mpg).

bakes
January 18th, 2012, 13:05
Don't forget about the nasty carbon build up issue with RS4's as well.

kerry
January 18th, 2012, 14:17
I just purchase my rs6, I love these car.I want to put the best of the best in this car. So I tollally understand the bleeding concept. Anyway good luck

kday
January 18th, 2012, 16:17
For better or worse, Audis are so far ahead in their technology that, nine years old, the only "old" aspect I can think of is that there's a cassette deck in the dash. No nav, auto-syncing BT for my phone, no in-car wifi, no finger touch spelling, or voice recognition.

I think this is a good point. If my experience with my 1994 S4 is any guide, we have a good 5 years or so before the C5 RS6 starts to feel dated.

The other aspect is the unique engine. That's always going to be pretty exclusive. (Though I was a little disappointed to realize that there were a few other biturbo V8s in my parking lot at work -- a Panamera and a couple Cayennes. And just a matter of time before the BMWs show up.)

nistah
January 18th, 2012, 17:07
Thanks guys, I had a moment of insanity...
Stephen, so are you still thinking of parting w/ special sauce or did you reconsider....seems that Dion has dibs...put me down as next in line on the interested parties list ...

BTW Dion did my 75k Timing /Water pump etc. in Dec 2011 while I was in NJ for a friends wedding....Def. Reccomend Drive Autoworks in Lyndhurst NJ to all on this forum, Dion has a team of RS6 Experienced & Qualified staff who are also super cool, the service was A+++++ thanks for putting me in touch w/ Drive they are great!

LIRS6
January 18th, 2012, 19:45
I recently saw an RS4 and had a discussion with the owner. He was unfamiliar with the RS6, but the more I described it to him, the less interesting his car was to me. 8 yrs/108k .. I remain very happy with it. In a way, it's a curse - I have the bug to get something new, but it has spoiled me so much that there is nothing else that really interests me to any great extent.

speedtrapped
January 18th, 2012, 22:21
Well, sense has come.....I'm going to keep her. Again, everyone's advice appreciated. As suggested, I still have the black leather recaros to install, so interior will be freshened up a bit. the more I thought about it the more I realized she is awesome. Can't match speed, handling AWD for the price. Egg on face....

ttboost
January 18th, 2012, 22:22
Welcome back...glad you came to your senses...

ThrillHouse
January 18th, 2012, 22:25
Thanks guys, I had a moment of insanity. $10k down the road can be used for something useful like manual swap.

... done by a mechanic that knows/wants the car. I'm still 'new' with the RS6 (7 months) but every day I look at it - even just sitting in the parking lot - I am happy. Nearly everyone who sees it gives me the "omg, that car looks great" then I tell them 100k and its an '03 and they are floored. They don't even really know what the RS6 is and all about, just that there is "something" about it even parked.

MaxRS6
January 18th, 2012, 22:34
Phewwwww- Glad my reality is back into focus....;0

Elevens
January 18th, 2012, 22:49
I tell you speed After seeing this Video A few years ago I was almost tempted to go the RS4 route. But they were way to expensive and that's without the Supercharger. So I went the RS6 route and never looked back. Glad you decided to stay with us..........................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBkX8GS5FoY

speedtrapped
January 18th, 2012, 23:00
Thanks fellas, glad this community rocks! Ya, APR $15k is nuts, albeit reliable. That said I think if I decide to jack up ludicrous speed, I will continue to molest the V, it's way cheaper to do so. I might do the the straight pipe route on the beast, I need her louder! And it. Should be cheap enough to do.

na1mt
January 19th, 2012, 01:39
Glad to see you're not a quitter....hehe

dcsweet
January 19th, 2012, 02:28
Speedtrapped, I have had my "6" for about 7 weeks now and the ways she feels is still fresh in my mind. I just arrived back in France for work and a friend picked me up at the airport in his recently acquired 2007 RS4 Avant. Blacked out model, sport suspension, with very nice Recaros (Euro spec). My impressions were of a great car, a little basic in the interior (read sporty), and it seems to handle very well. The torque that you are used to is not there, you've got to rev this engine to get the power and the engine note is a higher pitched snarl as opposed to the RS6's throaty, bassy roar. Interior space is less, as to be expected.

The ride quallity is good for stock but I think that coilover set-ups that some RS6 users have here would perform better. Engine start button and sport buttons are nice but my lasting impression was how much more I enjoy the cockpit and interior of my 6. It's more exec. Better Recaro seats would be an excellent option, I would like to do this because the seats in the RS4 car are amazingly supportive and comfortable. Flat bottomed steering wheel looks good but the bottom section in grey is actually plastic, perhaps alu or carbon are an option but the plastic is not nice. I know the US spec is different but just pointing out what I see.

We are going up to the Alps this weekend and will see what she is made of, more to report back on Monday..................

DC

speedtrapped
January 19th, 2012, 02:33
Ty for that...enjoy the alps! That's awesome.

ttboost
January 19th, 2012, 02:45
Now that I think of it, I recall going for a ride in a RS4 when they first came out. I bought some turbos from a guy for my 996 turbo. I seem to remember thinking, wow.. revs so high, but doesn't really go anywhere?

Chung
January 19th, 2012, 05:09
Holy crap gone for a few days...

I think the RNS-E is a good idea if it keeps you off the ledge. Get the 2010 version and you will think you have a new car (I am not speaking from experience since I am too cheap for that upgrade).

Hahnmgh, if you get a Viper I get a ride.

vitalian
January 19th, 2012, 16:33
Count me in for that ride also, hahn and Chung!

Speed, I'm so glad you came back from the ledge! Let's just call it temporary insanity and move on!:)

4everRS
January 19th, 2012, 23:18
Reading through this thread makes me even happier that I own an rs6. There are not many cars that are timeless. Don't get me wrong, it's no f40 or ford GT. But it is something special. Glad to see you sticking with it Stephen.

kevin
January 20th, 2012, 02:03
Reading through this thread makes me even happier that I own an rs6. There are not many cars that are timeless. Don't get me wrong, it's no f40 or ford GT. But it is something special. Glad to see you sticking with it Stephen.

Dittos!!

Jimmy Joe
January 20th, 2012, 05:20
I totally agree with friend Hahn. Get something else but don't sell the Beast. The C 5 is destined to become a classic.