PDA

View Full Version : Is the R4/R5 on hold?

353S
January 17th, 2012, 15:33
With the VW and Porsche variants now on hold, what is the possibility of the same fate for the R4/R5?

tailpipe
January 17th, 2012, 16:01
It isn't clear whether the Porsche 550 Spyder, VW Convertible and Audi R4 are all on track. But what is certain is that the new chassis for all these models when the VW Bluesport was revealed a few years back will definitely see production. Porsche needs an entry level model, while Audi needs a more convincing chassis for the TT. It may be that a rear mid-engined R4 replaces the TT, but no one knows for sure, yet.

One model that does seem to have died is the Quattro Concept.

The RS6
January 17th, 2012, 16:14

I'm still hoping we'll see it as the new 2013 TT built on the new A3 chassis.

353S
January 18th, 2012, 01:10
I'm still hoping we'll see it as the new 2013 TT built on the new A3 chassis.

Why the A3 chassis?

353S
January 18th, 2012, 01:15
But what is certain is that the new chassis for all these models when the VW Bluesport was revealed a few years back will definitely see production.

Why do you say that? Reports state that VW would not be able to sell enough to justify, and Porsche reported that they don't want to dilute the brand. Without VW and Porsche onboard, I can't see the Audi surviving.

Personally, I would love to see the R4 be the next TT. A mid-engined layout with the Turbo 5 cylinder would be so nice! I'm loving my TT RS and this would only make it better!

darkop
January 18th, 2012, 09:03
Highly unlikely.

The RS6
January 18th, 2012, 14:54
Personally, I would love to see the R4 be the next TT. A mid-engined layout with the Turbo 5 cylinder would be so nice! I'm loving my TT RS and this would only make it better!

That's what I meant under "new A3 chassis". Correct me if I'm wrong, but the TT always shared it's platform with the A3.

The Pretender
January 19th, 2012, 18:26
The Next TT is already signed off on the new MQB platform with transverse front engine and Haldex 5.

The Pretender
January 19th, 2012, 18:52

The quattro Concept is dead the way it was showed, no busyness case.
It's not unlikely it get a technical redesign and be build on a Audi R8 space frame with 2.5TFSI mid engine and be called R5 quattro.

353S
January 20th, 2012, 15:37
The quattro Concept is dead the way it was showed, no busyness case.
It's not unlikely it get a technical redesign and be build on a Audi R8 space frame with 2.5TFSI mid engine and be called R5 quattro.

If it was priced between the TT and R8, I would be all over that!

tailpipe
January 22nd, 2012, 20:31
I think stories about the cancellation of the Porsche entry-level roadster, R4 and VW Bluesport are smoke and mirrors. Here's why:

1. VW has already engineered a RWD sports car chassis based on the new MQB platform - if they don't use it that money will be wasted
2. The merger with Porsche has not yet been completed and seems stalled until civil investigations concerning market manipulation by Porsche's previous management are resolved - VW will not assume complete control of Porsche while a threat hangs over it, especially a threat that could imply some kind of liability or penalty. I don't fully understand what's going on, but it seems strange, especially considering how well received both the VW and Audi show cars were.
3. Porsche will never achieve its sales volume goals without a new entry level model.
4. Porsche has been working on a brand new flat-4 engine. Without a new roadster, that investment would also be wasted.

In short, I don't think we've heard the last of this yet.

The Pretender
January 22nd, 2012, 21:40
I'm all for cancellation of the R4, useless product.
The only way it would make sense is if the Next TT would be "Coupe" only and the R4(5) would be "Roadster" only.
That way both the TT and R4(5) have there own ground within the Audi range.

The Pretender
February 11th, 2012, 17:34
Apparently still alive and kicking.

http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Audi-R5-fotoshowImage-2eeec565-568564.jpg

Sportscar between TT and R8.

* Front or maybe mid engine.
* 2.5TFSI 5 cylinder engine.
* Quattro.

The RS6
February 12th, 2012, 14:33
oh wow. I like that!

HKS786
February 12th, 2012, 19:14
I like it. If that was a little bigger in size and the front end had more shape to it it would be a great design. However, is there really a gap between the TT-RS Plus and the R8? At first glance it would seem so but really when you think about it the TT-RS Plus is already puting out 360bhp (probably under-rated too) and makes use of the 2.5TFSI.

I think the only way the R4/R5 could come into existence is if the future R8 (V8 model) has even greater performance i.e. at least 450bhp and lighter.

The Pretender
February 12th, 2012, 21:20
I'm just wonder could this R5 be the replacement of the TT RS and that the next TTS will be the top of the TT range. ???
Further, with a front engine it will not clash with the Porsche Cayman.
This R5 could end up with 380+ hp front engine and quattro, and the price can be justified because it's a stand alone model that way.

The Pretender
March 7th, 2012, 21:33
http://forums.fourtitude.com/entry.php?932-Proposed-Audi-R8-Baby-Brother-Rumored-R4-or-R5-Model-Not-Green-Lighted

AndyBG
March 7th, 2012, 23:30
I was hoping I will read some posoitive news about this project! To bad...

tvrfan
March 11th, 2012, 15:08
i think porsche is the reason why it get cancelled

tailpipe
March 11th, 2012, 22:03
This story isn't over yet.

Once VW completes its takeover of Porsche and it is fully absorbed into the Group - so that VW has full control over Porsche management, which I don't believe it has yet - things will change. Dramatically.

You can bet your last euro that Dr. Ferdinand Piech has created a comprehensive new product strategy for Porsche. I for one am very excited to see what will happen. I expect a brand new mid-engine sports car above the 911. I expect a 928 replacement. I expect a clean-sheet design for the Panamera. Development of the Macan will proceed and it should become the best selling Porsche ever. And to crown all this will be a brand new entry level roadster.

The Pretender
March 11th, 2012, 22:09
I think Porsche will go back to building sportcars and sportcars only.
I don't see any future for Cayenne and Panamera if VW get 100% control over Porsche.

andreadebi
March 12th, 2012, 06:46
I'm sure too porsche has plans (I add also ceo mueller said he wanted a car in the price-target between 911 and top 918 i.e. vs f12 berlinetta league)
Porsche is already designed responsible for next mss platform next r8-gallardo and future panamera (panamera probably also 2dr and coupé version,platform used also for next bentley). Audi will provide future q7-cayenne-audi q5&q6(a new versione vs bmw x6) and macan
I see Porsche will continue with the actual cars portfolio(no reasons to delete profitable models as cayenne-panamera), joining less costs with vw group