PDA

View Full Version : US RS6 VIN list

ben916
January 17th, 2012, 03:48
I have been asked for the list on a couple of occasions (and have declined to those requests) and now I thought I would post/poll for your opinion:

One reason that I have declined is that if two people are managing the list: merging is a royal pain in the ass, who really holds the list?, etc

Thoughts, opinions, concerns?

kday
January 17th, 2012, 04:52
I always wondered what the point of this list was if it wasn't public...

na1mt
January 17th, 2012, 06:02
There should be a public salvage title/totaled list made public but otherwise who needs to know who we are or where we live posted publicly. Before vin numbers were given out to the public, I sure would like to see my Audi service logs

Bigglezworth
January 17th, 2012, 20:55
A public list of all VIN numbers is fine. Just ensure there is no direct link to owners either via User ID or actual name please.

Beastly
January 20th, 2012, 02:29
Agreed with Bigglezworth , should make it public and add a sticky for it (oh wait there is one)

Jimmy Joe
January 20th, 2012, 05:10
No, You're the keeper, Keep it private and use your good judgement on handing out information. the list contains some member's information that should be kept private by someone who cares and understands its intrinsec value. You strike me as someone that can and should be entrusted with it.

ttboost
January 20th, 2012, 12:50
Here is my .02...The reason for the list (as I understand it), is to know how many RS6's are actually here in the states, AND how many were wrecked, totaled, etc.... If Ben gets hit by a bus tomorrow, (god forbid) what would be the point of the list? Most of us don't know the numbers anyway. Furthermore, if we want to know any of the data, there is no actual single page to get it? Why don't you post a table/graph just showing quantities on the first page of the "Sticky"? You could have 3 columns: 1) Known driveable cars 2) Wrecked 3) Totalled (no longer exist) You would actually have to add all 3 columns to get total number of cars imported to US. With this information, there is no privacy threat and at least we can know how many cars are here. It would be nice to be able to see the VIN's, and I really don't see the harm in someone getting my VIN...

MaxRS6
January 20th, 2012, 14:43
I don't see a problem in sharing the VIN list with the basic info. Anyone can walk up to the car, obtain it anywhoo- and post it along with my license plate on this dang interweb thang .

ben916
January 20th, 2012, 23:47
Here is my .02...The reason for the list (as I understand it), is to know how many RS6's are actually here in the states, AND how many were wrecked, totaled, etc.... If Ben gets hit by a bus tomorrow, (god forbid) what would be the point of the list? Most of us don't know the numbers anyway. Furthermore, if we want to know any of the data, there is no actual single page to get it? Why don't you post a table/graph just showing quantities on the first page of the "Sticky"? You could have 3 columns: 1) Known driveable cars 2) Wrecked 3) Totalled (no longer exist) You would actually have to add all 3 columns to get total number of cars imported to US. With this information, there is no privacy threat and at least we can know how many cars are here. It would be nice to be able to see the VIN's, and I really don't see the harm in someone getting my VIN...

Excellent point!
So I will post the document on Google Docs and we will go from there.

Currently the information that I track are as follows:
F/S???? - is the car currently for sale?
VIN
Exterior color
Interior color
Forum username
Location (State only)
Mods/Misc - rims, wwp, cf, catback, exhaust, etc
Chip (usually MTM, VIPER, EC, Revo, EPL, etc)
Known accident history
DRC failure
Trans failure
Privacy - this is where if a prior owner would like to pass on any information to a new owner
Owner list - list of owners that, if known, are listed historically

NSU RS6
January 21st, 2012, 17:56
I think this is a great idea for these cars. They are so rare this actually works, and, if you think about it, it can be for the betterment of those that own them. A car's history is very important, and with a number as low as 860, this forum could easily serve as a "pedigree" forum - not unlike purebred animals - sorry for the comparison. But hey, we do call them "beasts" right?

Carfax, with all of its foibles, can take care of most of the serious legalities. I would imagine most of us are insured?

My RS6 is 905797, and more details will be provided once all can agree on how this will proceed.

Thanks Ben.

gregoryindiana
January 22nd, 2012, 05:17
Currently the information that I track are as follows:
F/S???? - is the car currently for sale?
VIN
Exterior color
Interior color
Forum username
Location (State only)
Mods/Misc - rims, wwp, cf, catback, exhaust, etc
Chip (usually MTM, VIPER, EC, Revo, EPL, etc)
Known accident history
DRC failure
Trans failure
Privacy - this is where if a prior owner would like to pass on any information to a new owner
Owner list - list of owners that, if known, are listed historically

This information is exactly what I would have proposed for dissemination. Nothing here that I would be afraid to have shown on a public list.

While the list is public, I still think a single person as curator is the best. So while I could view the list, I couldn't alter its contents. Appoint one person as the backup curator in case of incapacity of the primary person.

I would make particular note in the list of cars known to have met what should have been a permanent demise; and such things as flooded to the doorhandles in a hurricane, and so forth.

Back in Black
January 24th, 2012, 14:55
My 2 cents - the only thing that might be worth removing from a public list would be mods/chip. I recall from my B5 S4 days that some people had trouble with warranty claims being denied based on insurance companies reading the forum (but this was speculative/third party). Something to think about.

Other than that, I agree, it should be readable by forum members.