PDA

View Full Version : How to change your RS6 headlights?

Majestic
January 14th, 2012, 23:10
My driver side headlight just went out so I thought this would be an easy change but I cant figure it out.
I opened the hood expecting to just take out the bulb and place in a new one but I see its not too accessible.

I unscrew the two screws on the top but tried to pull out the headlight, it jiggles a bit but it just doesn't come out, what am I doing wrong?

Does anyone have a DIY link with pics?
I googled it but nothing comes up.

Thanks,
Allen

speedtrapped
January 15th, 2012, 00:23
My driver side headlight just went out so I thought this would be an easy change but I cant figure it out.
I opened the hood expecting to just take out the bulb and place in a new one but I see its not too accessible.

I unscrew the two screws on the top but tried to pull out the headlight, it jiggles a bit but it just doesn't come out, what am I doing wrong?

Does anyone have a DIY link with pics?
I googled it but nothing comes up.

Thanks,
Allen

Allen,
The job requires you pull front bumper off. It seems hard, it is not, but it is a PIA just to remove headlight. There is a wiki on front bumper removal.
Stephen

hahnmgh63
January 15th, 2012, 00:51
If just the bulb is out you don't need to remove the headlight, just the cover on the back to remove the bulb. Low beam is a HID (D2S I believe), high beam is a H7.

hahnmgh63
January 15th, 2012, 01:04
For an A6 but you'll get the idea. Same basic headlight as our cars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtTpDq_Wy_c

Aronis
January 15th, 2012, 01:46
Did it myself last year. Tight space but you can do it.

Don't touch the bulb or you will limit it's life.

The OEM bulbs are $300 for a pair.

Enjoy the nice new bright lights. I did not realize how much the width of the beam narrowed over time.

Mike

Majestic
January 15th, 2012, 02:18
If just the bulb is out you don't need to remove the headlight, just the cover on the back to remove the bulb. Low beam is a HID (D2S I believe), high beam is a H7.

How can you remove from the back? Can you snap some photos on where to do it, its really tight back there and I dont see where I could unscrew something.

Does anyone know how much it cost to bring to the dealership?

Aronis
January 15th, 2012, 04:00
a heavy spring clip swings out of the way. It's the only thing holding the back part of the casing. It swings out of the way. On one side I had to disengage it to remove the back panel. One side is clearly tighter than the other. I think it was the passenger side if I recall.

Just swing the spring clip out of the way, it's about three inches across, you can't miss it.

Mike

hahnmgh63
January 15th, 2012, 05:32
I am half way around the world from my car so I can't take pics but here is one I found on the internet. Two clips that must be swung out of the way then the cover needs to be pulled back slightly to disengage it from the seal then slid out of the way.

JSRS6
January 15th, 2012, 07:38
Ours is only one clip.

January 15th, 2012, 14:33
Just happen to have my left side headlight out. I'm assuming the right is similar.

Looks like snap both clips off, but the backing has to come off from the inboard end first as the outboard clip doesn't clear the backing.

JSRS6
January 15th, 2012, 15:56
Nevermind.