PDA

View Full Version : RS6 turbos FS, 90k, working fine, spam

lswing
January 13th, 2012, 16:31
Hey all, having another set of turbos rebuilt at Scroll, and mine will be up for sale at the end of February. Not sure on the cost, probably around $800. They have 90k on them, the last 20k boosted, there is a scratch/gouge on the inside of one of the turbine housings due to a chunk of metal destroying the turbo, on the car it was attached to before, if you remember MaxRS6's mystery metal in the turbo:)

The turbos will be at Scroll all this month, so they could also be rebuild with better/new internals for $1,300 while there, making a sweet new set for just over $2k basically.

Sean at Scroll said the scratch/gouge on the housing should not affect anything, although it will have some minimal dynamic change on the airflow, could be nothing, but it's there. I opted to pull the clean turbine housing off my car for the rebuild. Pass it on, they go on eBay in March...

ben916
January 13th, 2012, 16:35
Did you look at your exhaust manifold to see if it was "MaxRS6"-ing (meant peeling like an onion) ?

lswing
January 13th, 2012, 16:39
None yet, fingers crossed, I'm still amazed by the peeling part, air intake right...

MaxRS6
January 13th, 2012, 17:40
The exhaust manifold was the source of the metal material. While they have them off, give them a good inspection. Mine came apart at the inlets...

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/RS6%20Turbo/exhMF1.jpg

lswing
January 13th, 2012, 17:44
Damn, is that the exhaust manifold, or the turbo hot side? And what is that chunk, peeling?

MaxRS6
January 13th, 2012, 18:44
Exhaust manifold..the inner tube's weld came apart along with some of the da metal.

I replaced both exhaust manifolds while they had the engine out and the turbos were being replaced.

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/RS6%20Turbo/exhMF3.jpg

lswing
January 13th, 2012, 18:48
Yikes, how hard are you driving that beast! Thanks for all the help and info!

It was interesting chatting with Sean, a lot of "what the hell got into this turbo" and "it will work just fine rebuilt, but..."

MaxRS6
January 13th, 2012, 18:54
^ Uhhh- As hard as it will go- of course...Is there any other way??? ;0

I was actually quite happy when we found out it was the exhaust manifold and nothing had passed through da engine. It is back to running like a champ again- and I'm anxious to get Crazy back out on da track...

Around here- it is actually driven relatively mildly as indicative of clean driving record...The insurance agent (my ol college buddy) thought for sure he would have some good reasons to jack my rate..So far- no go- LOL

Chung
January 13th, 2012, 23:43
Hahnmgh63 had his ceramic coated when the engine was out. If nothing else they looked awesome.

lswing
January 13th, 2012, 23:49
Nice! Getting my DP's done, don't know if i want to let the coat company touch my turbos...

BTW, I've heard the pre-cat tossed around here, but just looking over ETKA I see header direct to turbo, am I missing something?

My WRX had an up-pipe from header to the turbo that had a cat...at one point...

speedtrapped
January 14th, 2012, 00:14
ya...the pre cats are post turbo, literally 1-2" below where the D is attaches to the hotside outlet. when u pull the DPs you will see the pre's easily,gutting them is another story

lswing
January 14th, 2012, 00:31
Ok, thanks, so just after the turbo before the DP's...I'll see if my mech wants to get in them with a large screw driver and hammer...I should get them coated also, will gutting them throw a code?

speedtrapped
January 14th, 2012, 01:13
yes..the pre cats are in the DP, all one unit, bulged and near the flange that attaches to the turbo. and yes you will throw codes...can be tuned out. also search, gutting is about a 4-6 hour job with an air chisel, not kiddin.

4everRS
January 14th, 2012, 02:06
A screwdriver will do nothing.

I used 2 nice Snap-on air chisels. Both with 16" blunt tips. It's a mess. I did it in an hour and a half for both. Obviously, that not removal/reinstall of the DP's

Here's a pic of my DP's before install. Pre-cats in the buldge towards the turbo flange

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/Newdownpipes.jpg

lswing
January 14th, 2012, 18:15
Thanks for the pics and details, I'll leave as is and have read that it's a very nice and efficient exhaust, I've got the SE. Stage 2 will be my max tune, I think the flow should be good. On the topic of coating, seems like the turbo flange down to the mesh would be enough to keep heat out of the engine bay. It's going to cost $100 just to ship these for coating I bet, damn...

ben916
January 14th, 2012, 19:11
A screwdriver will do nothing.

I used 2 nice Snap-on air chisels. Both with 16" blunt tips. It's a mess. I did it in an hour and a half for both. Obviously, that not removal/reinstall of the DP's

Here's a pic of my DP's before install. Pre-cats in the buldge towards the turbo flange

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/Newdownpipes.jpg

This is how mine should look after?

lswing
January 14th, 2012, 19:50
If you pick matte black:)

MaxRS6
January 14th, 2012, 19:57
Zing........waiting for reply

4everRS
January 14th, 2012, 20:39
Ben, I think you should go pink

ben916
January 14th, 2012, 21:38
Ben, I think you should go pink

I am not sure Selma would like that but I can ask...