PDA

View Full Version : Causes of low MAF level

Chung
January 5th, 2012, 21:41
Well I am still getting a CEL for a intermittent low MAF signal.
So far I have:
- Replaced the MAF sensor
- Re soldered the MAF wires (where they appeared to be frayed)
- New Air Filters
- The connector has been rewired at some point

What I am confused about is that I am still getting solid sensor data when I do logs on it. Would my MAF seals cause a low signal from the MAF sensor? Does anyone know what else can cause this error?

Thanks

hahnmgh63
January 5th, 2012, 22:17
Could be the seals if you get solid data but the airflow rates are low. Probably not the cause but there is another short rubber hose that goes from the Turbo compressor inlet to the bottom of the Aluminum MAF connector pipe. I say probably not because it is exposed to some heat back there but is under no pressure and I know your MAF's have been removed a few times so that is why I would think it would be the seals first. Have you taken a good look at your seals? You could try disconnecting your MAF's from the airbox and installing them directly into the seals and see how the fit is.

Chung
January 6th, 2012, 02:18
I plan to get the Apikol seals when they are released.

What is low?

4everRS
January 6th, 2012, 03:30
Looks like pretty normal numbers. I'm guessing an intermittent connection issue.

ttboost
January 6th, 2012, 13:25
I would think if your seals are bad, air goes AROUND the MAF, thus the low reading? (path of least resistance?)

speedtrapped
January 6th, 2012, 21:35
Chung the seals are available, as far as I know. I have had them installed for about 2 months

Chung
January 7th, 2012, 01:03
When I asked they said they are still testing and that they should be ready in 2-3 weeks.

From your posts it seems that after you super glued them they are working well?

speedtrapped
January 7th, 2012, 21:57
Tight as t#ts....

ben916
January 8th, 2012, 02:50
Yeah Ryan, the Apikol seals seem like an item long overdue...to the need of the end user = US!

What about a smoke test to see if unsealed air is bypassing the MAF seal?

Chung
January 9th, 2012, 23:51
I have not done a smoke test but it sounds like a good idea (depending on price).

How goes the MAF extender project?

ben916
January 10th, 2012, 00:24
I have not done a smoke test but it sounds like a good idea (depending on price).

How goes the MAF extender project?

Ah, see! Someone remembers!!!
I have the OEM clip that plugs into the MAF and the OEM rubber shield. I have to get the actual metal contact pieces (not sure ETKA has them or not)

The last time I approached my tech buddy, we did the Komfortblinker mod.
I also asked him about that project and he was ready, but i wasn't...
Reapproach soon..