PDA

View Full Version : 3800 mile RS for sale.

SAF
January 4th, 2012, 17:15
Wow. A new low?

http://www.audifans.com/marketplace/show.php?table=pm_audifans_Cars&id=6389

bakes
January 4th, 2012, 17:18
And in that little mileage they've still managed to curb a wheel!

mik15
January 4th, 2012, 18:29
initially i thought it's a 38k miles then saw that it's actually 3,8k miles...that's really low, i think it might even be unique with such low mileage....i couldn't see any pictures, i wish i could :)

lswing
January 4th, 2012, 18:38
Wow. A new low?

Most definitely a new low...for the person who didn't drive their car!

vitalian
January 4th, 2012, 18:54
Good grief, less than 4,000 miles in NINE YEARS? I'm a fairly low mileage driver myself (short commute, free public transportation, use the beast mainly for road trips), but that poor car should have at least 40-45K on it by now!

I can only imagine the issues that car is going to start having if/when someone starts driving it regularly...

ttboost
January 4th, 2012, 21:16
Someone bought it and forgot???

ben916
January 4th, 2012, 21:23
damn... my post didn't post...

so about 3 years ago, there was an 85 mile example in Oregon and he wanted $65k.
A forum owner purchased it and had it serviced in Oregon and just by chance, there were several AoA exec there and they commented that it was the lowest example that they had ever seen, aside from those in 2003. The new owner, who was active on the forum, drove it to TX. Then sold it in the near future...

Then about 1.5 yrs ago, there was a 12k mile example in TX and upon purchase (on the drive home) the CEL came on for Transmission/TC issues. There wasn't a pretty legal battle over PPI and Fidelity warranty...

There was also a 6800 mile example in SFO area about 3 months ago that sold for $42k-ish and that forum owner is on here also...

So there are examples out there, very RARE but they are out there...

Elevens
January 4th, 2012, 21:27
A 9 year old New Car. Definitely a source of Problems. All Rubber seals, Vacuum hoses, Tires and countless other things subject to Dry Rotting are about to do same. I would still buy it though, but not at no $47,000 maybe in the low $30K's............................

Amar
January 5th, 2012, 01:11
Thought mine was one of the lowest at 38k, guess I was wrong. Not looking forward to hitting the big 4-0.

Patrick Godfrey
January 5th, 2012, 19:36
I'm the offending purchaser of the 6800 mile example. Bought it in late July and about to turn 10K in the next few weeks.

It was $42K. But it checked out completely, and had major service(s) done based on calendar vs. odometer. The only issue upon delivery was a cracked headlight washer nozzle reservoir and the AC needed recharging. Knock on wood, nothing since. Based on extremely low miles, got Audi Platinum for 6 years and an additional 72K miles for $3K. Now that the Bilstein PSS9, RNS-E and Hartmann five spokes are on it, it's a good daily driver.

I don't know if I buy the idea that a lower-mileage car is at greater risk due to dry rubber. In fact, I know I don't buy it. $47K seems high for this one, once you look at the pictures. How did a lightly used car EVER get so dirty? And why not wash the damned thing? Not good salesmanship.

mik15
January 5th, 2012, 19:57
where can i see the pictures with the one with 3.8k miles?

bakes
January 5th, 2012, 20:46
The link in the first post has both a phone number and email contact. Use either one and the seller should be able to provide you with pictures.

QuattroRS
January 5th, 2012, 21:01
+1

I have no problem with low mile examples if they have been stored properly, serviced, run for a period of time every month. I would have paid 42k for an example like that with 6k miles.

I'm the offending purchaser of the 6800 mile example. Bought it in late July and about to turn 10K in the next few weeks.

It was $42K. But it checked out completely, and had major service(s) done based on calendar vs. odometer. The only issue upon delivery was a cracked headlight washer nozzle reservoir and the AC needed recharging. Knock on wood, nothing since. Based on extremely low miles, got Audi Platinum for 6 years and an additional 72K miles for $3K. Now that the Bilstein PSS9, RNS-E and Hartmann five spokes are on it, it's a good daily driver.

I don't know if I buy the idea that a lower-mileage car is at greater risk due to dry rubber. In fact, I know I don't buy it. $47K seems high for this one, once you look at the pictures. How did a lightly used car EVER get so dirty? And why not wash the damned thing? Not good salesmanship.

hotgrips
January 5th, 2012, 22:03
Wow. A new low?

Here is the link for 16 photos.

http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/i350/hotgrips/2003%20Audi%20RS6%20450%20hp/

Hello everyone. I am the owner of the RS6 with the low miles. The car is always garaged, inside an insulated reinforced concrete multi-bay garage that is built into a hillside, so there is a stability of the temperature always year round in the 50-55 degrees F.

I read the comments on (this thread) about dry rot and anticipated problems of a new 9 year old car, and I just haven't seen that phenomena, maybe it is the kind of storage I have. I sold my 1995 Porsche 993-C4 with 2,040 (two-thousand and forty) (Speed Yellow 911 AWD) which I bought from Autohaus Porsche of PA new in 1995, and it had no dry rot nor seal leakage issues. I sold it to a Florida man who transported it to a NJ port directly from my house, and on to an eager buyer in Europe. I had an email with the Florida buyer and he reports the European new owner is very pleased with the car. I would be happy to dig out the FL buyer's contact info if someone wants to follow up. The 993-C4 is at: http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/i350/hotgrips/

All of the vehicles I own have super low miles because I have accumulated so many, and while getting older (age 61) I lost interest in cars. Not totally, now and then I get bitten, like last summer I picked up a new 2011 Cadillac CTS-V with factory 556 hp. It has under 1800 miles on it now, after 6 months, and I bought it with 1600. My 5 month old 2011 Lexus LS460 AWD I use the most, with just over 1000 miles on it now.

My accumulation of cars (and motorcycles) had shrunk in 2011. I sold 5 cars and 2 motorcycles because keeping up with battery tending and fuel had become too much of a chore. My 1998 Honda VFR800 sold to a Maine buyer with 31 miles (thirty-one) on it (I bought it new in 1998), and my 2003 Honda ST1300 had 70 miles when sold (again bought new in 2003). http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/i350/hotgrips/ST1300%20%20Nov%205%202011%20Pickup%20day/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16 I still have the contact information for both buyers who can report on whether or not low miles has resulted in failed seals and dry rot issues.

Perhaps simply garaging a car with daily swings of temperature and humidity, along with seasonal swings in temperature and humidity make it worse for rubber seals. I can only speak of my own experience with my underground (bunker) garage and how it has not been an issue. The bunker houses a Rotorway 162F and 12 motorcycles and I haven't spotted any problems with leaking seals. Several of the motorcycles are from the mid-70s, one which I raced in Austria in 1976. It's a 2-stroke 340cc so there is no engine oil, but the gearbox is leak-free.

Jim Hollander
West-Central New Hampshire near Vermont.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.1222745052097.34491.1333094365&type=3

MaxRS6
January 5th, 2012, 22:09
A very nice welcome aboard the..

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Ozzy%20at%20Emerald/CrazyTrainPoster1.jpg?t=1293713060

GLWS!

Elevens
January 5th, 2012, 22:21
Welcome Mr hotgrips. I don't mean to deter from the sale of your car in any way. I think a car with such low mileage is truly phenomenal. And I guess if kept under the right conditions which apparently you have done, reliability issues could be kept to a minimum. $47K I don't know but then again it is practically a new car. Good luck with the sale.......................

SAF
January 6th, 2012, 01:12
I'd like to see the bike list. :)

Thanks for posting!

MaxRS6
January 6th, 2012, 01:26
^+1 and pics of the bunker & contents...00

lswing
January 6th, 2012, 03:05
Cool story, interesting stuff, but I can't get over how dirty the car looks in some shots. Coffee spilled in the console, mud and debris all over passenger side, piles of tree debris around the trunk, mess inside, even the leather looks a bit worn for so few miles. Looks like the car was not treated well and left outside a lot, not in the bunker. Hope you take better care of the other vehicles, you're fortunate to own them...admitting I am OCD about things being clean. Too bad you never got to experience a tune on the car, world of difference!!

QuattroRS
January 6th, 2012, 04:02
Montana plates

NH and VT?

Has the car ever seen MT? Oh boy

Hello everyone. I am the owner of the RS6 with the low miles. The car is always garaged, inside an insulated reinforced concrete multi-bay garage that is built into a hillside, so there is a stability of the temperature always year round in the 50-55 degrees F.

I read the comments on (this thread) about dry rot and anticipated problems of a new 9 year old car, and I just haven't seen that phenomena, maybe it is the kind of storage I have. I sold my 1995 Porsche 993-C4 with 2,040 (two-thousand and forty) (Speed Yellow 911 AWD) which I bought from Autohaus Porsche of PA new in 1995, and it had no dry rot nor seal leakage issues. I sold it to a Florida man who transported it to a NJ port directly from my house, and on to an eager buyer in Europe. I had an email with the Florida buyer and he reports the European new owner is very pleased with the car. I would be happy to dig out the FL buyer's contact info if someone wants to follow up. The 993-C4 is at: http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/i350/hotgrips/

All of the vehicles I own have super low miles because I have accumulated so many, and while getting older (age 61) I lost interest in cars. Not totally, now and then I get bitten, like last summer I picked up a new 2011 Cadillac CTS-V with factory 556 hp. It has under 1800 miles on it now, after 6 months, and I bought it with 1600. My 5 month old 2011 Lexus LS460 AWD I use the most, with just over 1000 miles on it now.

My accumulation of cars (and motorcycles) had shrunk in 2011. I sold 5 cars and 2 motorcycles because keeping up with battery tending and fuel had become too much of a chore. My 1998 Honda VFR800 sold to a Maine buyer with 31 miles (thirty-one) on it (I bought it new in 1998), and my 2003 Honda ST1300 had 70 miles when sold (again bought new in 2003). http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/i350/hotgrips/ST1300%20%20Nov%205%202011%20Pickup%20day/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16 I still have the contact information for both buyers who can report on whether or not low miles has resulted in failed seals and dry rot issues.

Perhaps simply garaging a car with daily swings of temperature and humidity, along with seasonal swings in temperature and humidity make it worse for rubber seals. I can only speak of my own experience with my underground (bunker) garage and how it has not been an issue. The bunker houses a Rotorway 162F and 12 motorcycles and I haven't spotted any problems with leaking seals. Several of the motorcycles are from the mid-70s, one which I raced in Austria in 1976. It's a 2-stroke 340cc so there is no engine oil, but the gearbox is leak-free.

Jim Hollander
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.1222745052097.34491.1333094365&type=3

hotgrips
January 6th, 2012, 04:31
I used to be OCD about keeping cars perfect, but it's a little unhealthy when carried to extreme. And darn impractical when you have 14 garage doors and no room to add any more vehicles indoors. When I was younger my wife used to tease me about having to clean my cars every Saturday, this was back 20+ years ago, when I had 3. Now at my ripe age of 61, I don't go overboard on car cleaning, in fact my wife is a little OCD about my having my laptop (and related stuff) on the kitchen island all the time. It's just life, you change over the years. I'd be totally insane if I felt I had to have all my vehicles perfect all the time. That wouldn't be enjoyable to me. I don't have a paved driveway, so cars get grit tracked into them now and then, it cannot be helped depending on the pattern on my shoe soles. By the way, I've already gone thru the stage of my life where road racing was important, thru SCCA both in the SSC class (New England SSC class champion in the mid-90's) and A/S class (the Camaro would need 20 hours of work on it for every hour on the track), raced internationally for 5 years in the International Six Day Trial and got my Bronze, 2 Silver, and a Gold medal, 1 DNF (off-road motorcycle enduro) and I've long since gotten driving at the limit out of my system. And as far as I'm concerned, just in time to not pass on the racing obsession to my son when he might have been impressionable.

My son is 19, does race MX, but not obsessed or compulsive about it, well balanced, great student, studying to be a mechanical engineer at RIT, into SolidWorks, problem-solving, R/C cars, a little of everything. There's more to life than having a shiny car or two that is always nice enough to eat off of, and all set up for track days. I hope none of you that are like that take this the wrong way, I do know what you're going thru as I've been there, but that's my past. I enjoy just sitting at my laptop and spending hours solving a machining problem, and working out the methods with BobCadV24 or FeatureCamV15. Or using Esprit-Wire EDM software to cut something clever in tool steel. A wire EDM for those of you that don't know about it, will cut hardened tool steel 6" deep (with my low-end Brother HS-50A machine) with a spool of .010" diameter brass wire in a submerged tank of distilled water. A wire EDM can easily cut with repeatable accuracy to .00005" (and cut at angles if you need) so that the fit between two mating pieces takes very close scrutiny to see. To me that is much more satisfying (in terms of a sense of accomplishing something useful) than polishing my car's paint and scrubbing brake dust off my wheels. Taking some quick photos of my RS6 without washing, vacuuming, and detailing the dash with a soft brush isn't a crime. I don't drink coffee so someone is imagining they spotted a coffee spill in one of the photos. Ditto for wear on the leather interior. The photos were taken for the gentleman who bought my 1995 993-C4, and he just wanted some quick(and dirty) pictures at the time. He felt my price for the RS6 in August 2011 at 52k was too high. He paid $48k for my 16 year old Porsche with 2,040 mi. on it,. and it had the original tires on it. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I wouldn't hesitate to give any of the 5 purchasers of my cars and 2 motorcycles in 2011 to any of you as a reference if you want to follow up and find out how I take care of my motorized toys.

The underground bunker is a Caterpillar shaped Dome, from Monolithic Domes of Texas. After excavating for the base, an air-form in the shape of a caterpillar is inflated with high volume, low pressure air. When the skin is taught, the inside is sprayed up with 6" thick closed cell polyurethane foam insulation. Shot-crete (sprayed concrete) then covers the entire interior to a depth of 2" as I recall. Then re-bar is put up inside against the PU foam in a 6" x 6" pattern, and layer upon layer of sprayed concrete is built up until a depth of 5" is reached. The intersections of the 3 domes (caterpillar shape) has to have a massive built up rebar-concrete structure that is about 15" x 15". We hung 9 chains from the re-bar inside it for future use. After a long time curing and drying out, the interior is painted in white paint, electrical conduit is run where needed, and the structure is covered in sand and then earth, and is strong enough for a bulldozer to drive over the top.

hotgrips
January 6th, 2012, 05:08
The 2003 RS6 has never been further than New Haven, CT. I'm sure MT is a wonderful state, I believe I drove thru there back in the 1970s on the way to Oregon or Washington in my 1970 Ford van. Motorcycles get permanent plates the first year, and when a car is 11 years old, permanent plates are available. Search Google for Bennett Law Office in Missoula, MT. (Thad Brinkman is a good contact there)

ben916
January 6th, 2012, 05:54
James,

I, and I am sure others, appreciate you taking the time to explain about your car(s) and bikes.
Sometimes the forum crowd can be a little rough and critical and I am sure that there isn't any harshness meant with a new forum member.

It is rare enough to find any original owners as a majority of the US owners now are the 2nd/3rd/4th owner.
It is MORE rare to find a super low example of an US RS6...and the original owner.

lswing
January 6th, 2012, 06:54
What is all over the center console in photo 2? Looks very dirty, or am I missing something?

http://m1089.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/hotgrips/2003%20Audi%20RS6%20450%20hp/DSC_5535.jpg.html?o=1

lswing
January 6th, 2012, 06:59
Picture 4 looks horrible, trashed carpet and not a stock mat, very odd, seen cleaner cars with 50k, just saying...

http://m1089.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/hotgrips/2003%20Audi%20RS6%20450%20hp/DSC_5533.jpg.html?o=3

Cochese
January 6th, 2012, 19:10
Welcome aboard!

mik15
January 6th, 2012, 20:11
interesting story...i am sure the pictures don't do justice to this car, probably if a good cleaning would be performed the car would look great, however i must say i am a bit disappointed by the way Jim keeps the car, i am not either a freak, at least not as i used to be when it comes to cleaning the car, but i do clean it at least once/week and i try not to get all the dirt inside when stepping in, etc...

Jim, i am just curious, since the car is 9 years old, over this period of time have you done all the maintenance required by age? obviously you couldn't have done it by mileage :), like timing belt, fluids, tires or is it everything original as it came? Also, it looks like the passenger front headlight is not as clear as the driver side....

kevin
January 6th, 2012, 21:44
I noticed the interior grime as well. Sad...

hotgrips
January 6th, 2012, 22:47
The engine oil and filter, timing belt, and tires are all as it was delivered to me in 2003-2004. But I did wash it at least once a year. :lovl: The headlights are identical and flawless, photos attached. Caterpillar Dome front attached also.

MaxRS6
January 6th, 2012, 23:02
^Now that is a cool bunker...I want one full of toys for next Christmas...00

hotgrips
January 6th, 2012, 23:18
http://www.monolithic.com/topics/domes

ntrcptr
January 7th, 2012, 14:42
very fishy

ntrcptr
January 7th, 2012, 14:44
fishy....

Jim Hollander

SAF
January 7th, 2012, 14:51
very fishy

What's on your mind exactly?

hotgrips
January 7th, 2012, 17:31
RS6 was sold this morning.

MaxRS6
January 7th, 2012, 17:42
^Congrats on the quick sale- We hardly knew u...;0

mik15
January 7th, 2012, 18:51
maybe we'll have the new owner on the club, would be really nice to have his opinion after buying the car regarding to what was necessary to do to the car...what was the price in the end you sold it for?

ben916
January 7th, 2012, 20:01
RS6 was sold this morning.

Congrats!!!!!

QuattroRS
January 8th, 2012, 00:01
Never even had the oil changed? Oh boy

JSRS6
January 8th, 2012, 03:56
9 year old oil and filter es no bueno...

mik15
January 8th, 2012, 05:59
mechanically the car should be ok, given the fact that hasn't been driven so no tear to the engine, transmission, suspension, etc...once all the fluids are changed everything should be just alright! However i do think that who bought it will have to replace almost all of the rubber bushings, CV boots and hopefully none of the engine/gearbox seals, anyway with a 9 years old oil sitting in the bay i am not really sure how good that can be mainly to the oil pump and seals. Given all these, i wish i could've had the opportunity of finding such an example here and i am almost sure i would have bought it :) . Once again, i do hope the new owner joins the club and shares with us the impressions....

nyc123
January 9th, 2012, 01:27
I would of bought this car. I cant get the link to open so cant get a phone number but if for any reason the buyers falls thru please PM me.

SAF
January 9th, 2012, 03:28
I would of bought this car. I cant get the link to open so cant get a phone number but if for any reason the buyers falls thru please PM me.

Hmmm, looks like the entire advert post has been pulled from Audifans. I've never seen that happen before. Ever.

MaxRS6
January 9th, 2012, 03:49
I wonder if this guy was the seller?

http://dailytopnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/rod-serling.jpg

4everRS
January 10th, 2012, 06:23
This whole thing is really f-ed up. What a joke.

Not as if it's the same, but if I don't properly store my snowmobile every spring, I run into issues when getting it running again the following winter.

The same oil ! ........Really?