PDA

View Full Version : Mileage at when your turbos went (if they did) please...

lswing
January 4th, 2012, 05:45
At 90k here contemplating turbo rebuild when I pull the engine, but do I need to?

Elevens
January 4th, 2012, 06:58
At 90,000 mi that should be a no brainer. But If money's an issue then I understand. Mine had about 68,000mi on them and while they didn't fail there was some smoking on startup, which was not apparent until I went Catless. The cats seemed to have masked the smoke. However after the Turbo's were rebuilt the smoking issues disappeared, which lead me to think that the seals were on their way out. Once again its your call, but at 90,000 I would definitely have them rebuilt. The KO4 is a pretty reliable Turbo, but mine were definitely on their way out........................................

lswing
January 4th, 2012, 16:13
Thanks for the input, good points. Looking at around $2k for the shop work and rebuild, along with the $2k for power steering, along with another $1k for miscellaneous, but now would be a great time with the engine out. Will probably get the turbos done, just wondering how many folks are running fine at this point on stock...mine seem to be doing fine.

Chung
January 4th, 2012, 18:23
I have a list of stuff that I need to have done with an engine pull but I have not yet found a shop in Seattle that I am truly comfortable with. Maybe I will have a garage by the time I need to do mine and I will do it myself.

As bad as it sounds, 5k for turbos, powersteering and misc. doesn't sound too bad if they know what they are doing. Does that include labor?

lswing
January 4th, 2012, 18:31
Yep, they are a great shop and that is with labor roughly. Parts are $1,400 for rack, $1,700 for turbos ($400 of which is buying an old set to rebuild so they don't have to wait). They dropped the trans in a good amount of time earlier this year, and have pulled many engines. Will be putting on the water/met kit also for another $750 parts and labor roughly. Might as well drill the y-pipe while it's out...

Chung
January 4th, 2012, 20:44
Is the shop in Portland or Eugene?

lswing
January 4th, 2012, 20:51
Eugene, part of the reason I bought the car, knowing I had two good mechanics around...

What work is your car needing out of interest?

Elevens
January 4th, 2012, 20:56
Definitely a good Price for what's being done. I am really thinking about a meth Kit Myself, now that the weather has gotten cool around here (South Florida). This thing has become a missile. I thought it was stupid fast before, but with 50-60 degree temps this thing has become insane. Its amazing how lower intake temps can transform your beast. Definitely gona look into this Meth thing. Good luck with the Repairs..................................

lswing
January 4th, 2012, 21:00
Agreed! Great to hear how well the car is running for you. My car is running amazing when it's 40 degrees and crisp, love it! No timing being pulled, like a rocket!

Must...get...water/meth...before...spring.....

Amar
January 5th, 2012, 01:20
Elevens, didn't you sell your car? Have you got another? I remember you posting a photo with it on a trailer going to its new home? Could have been a similair car and I'm going mad...

lswing
January 5th, 2012, 01:59
Anybody? Bueller? Would like to save the $2k if your turbos are holding up with a tune...probably will do the work anyhow, would be interesting though...90,000 miles of those things spinning, amazing, now if only my door would open smooth, damn you Audi!

Elevens
January 5th, 2012, 02:10
Elevens, didn't you sell your car? Have you got another? I remember you posting a photo with it on a trailer going to its new home? Could have been a similair car and I'm going mad...

No Amar that was Pat (V8Weight) who sold his Ride. Would never sell mine. Love it too much and too much money Invested. I'm Keeping this thing until it Blows up or Wrecks (of which I hope neither occurs of course).............................

lswing
January 5th, 2012, 02:36
Getting close to 10k after paying 26k, keeper forever is the plan...some parts are getting better than stock which is excellent, small details not so much, but I can drop most any car in a 0-100:)

kday
January 5th, 2012, 04:54
If you're asking for opinions on whether you should have your turbos rebuilt just as preventative maintenance... I would vote no. There's a non-zero probability that you will introduce a problem that isn't there. 90k isn't anything extraordinary for a turbo, especially a journal bearing unit.

lswing
January 5th, 2012, 05:51
kday, I would agree to some point, but the cost of pulling the engine to fix a turbo in six months if needed is at least $1k just for the pull, I think it must be done at this point, a chance of a problem should be much less than a turbo going at 100 or 120k...

It's unfortunate that there isn't more input on this, but I will assume that's good and most folks are still running stock turbos...

hahnmgh63
January 5th, 2012, 10:10
I also did my Turbos when I pulled the engine for the broken (my fault) exhaust downpipe stud at 67K. No problems with the Turbos but just like your thinking and Elevens, I thought it was preventive maintenance. I have heard of some RS6 Turbos failing before 100K but for the most part they seem to go 150~200K. You might try posting the question on RS246.com and see what you get there.

Aronis
January 6th, 2012, 17:41
I am at 123,000 miles. You're making me nervous! LOL....

Mike

lswing
January 6th, 2012, 17:53
Mike, have you been running a tune? You're getting a new car anyhow, but can you part with the RS6 is the question...

Leaning strongly towards doing the turbos, thanks to MaxRS6 for selling me his old ones helps greatly!

Here's an interesting note from Genuine Audi...

Hi Lou, Audi only has the re-manufactured available. In fact, they only have one in stock in North America. Keep in mind that it is remanufactured and not rebuilt. There is a difference. The warranty is the same as new: 12months/12,000miles. The $200.00 core charge is refundable as long as it is remanufacturable. In other words, it can not be damaged from outside influence, such as an accident. The part number you have is correct. Thanks, Bill

Aronis
January 6th, 2012, 18:12
I did not tune the car. I was going to after the final payoff, but I am concerned I'll cause a turbo failure!

It would be hard to change to any other car as my primary daily drive. The 2008 second-hand A4 Cab I picked up is fun as a convertible, but no performer!

The new S6 is tempting (depending on price and the transmission! D'ooh) as one might be able to tune that car to 2003 RS6 performance, thus new car, same performance....

Mike

Elevens
January 6th, 2012, 18:29
I am at 123,000 miles. You're making me nervous! LOL....

I wouldn't worry about it Mike. I had over 150,000 on my A6 2.7T with no issues and that uses KO3's which are less reliable than the KO4's. So as long as you take care of your Turbo's I would say you'll be OK. Its just that once the engine is out for some added insurance I would redo the Turbo's If they have let's say 80,000 and above miles on them........................