PDA

View Full Version : Currently have a GIAC TCU - should I opt for the MTM?

mdegracia
January 3rd, 2012, 14:37
Performing a major overhaul on the RS6 and I was planning on changing the TCU out to MTM. However, I just found out a GIAC is already in there. Should I leave well enough alone, or is there a definitive reason I should change over to the MTM?

Matt

JSRS6
January 3rd, 2012, 15:05
Go MTM. You will notice a difference for the better.

marklar182
January 3rd, 2012, 15:11
YES.

GIAC is crap compared to the MTM.

From my initial install; http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21687-MTM-TCU-self-install?p=200096&viewfull=1#post200096

"Wow, after a nice cruise this morning I can tell many differences between GIAC and MTM.

- GIAC feels like they just altered the stock programming a bit (hold gears longer, ect), MTM feels like a complete remap.
- In Tip mode GIAC will still downshift automatically if you mash the gas, MTM holds the current gear (better IMO).
- GIAC would downshift hard into 1st when coming to a stop, MTM is smooth as silk.

Overall power delivery is noticeably linear with MTM."

QuattroRS
January 3rd, 2012, 20:46
From a long standing debate on this forum. In the same manner as some of us swear by Aces.

GIAC products generally suck. Overpriced crap that does not perform. = junk. Kinda goes like that.

marklar182
January 3rd, 2012, 20:56
Maybe crap was the wrong term to use......

MTM TCU performs better than GIAC TCU IMHO.

QuattroRS
January 3rd, 2012, 21:55
Oh yeah, it is the new year and all. When a company such as GIAC hypes its products so much and charges an arm and leg for its products. You would think it would actually perform?

Maybe not.

There was this guy on Audiworld that performed a head to head with GIAC, Revo and APR. The results were amazing.

Your mileage may vary.

Heck for that matter, the Vagcom guru's have sport coded US spec TCU's for years. Free, freebie, no charge.

4everRS
January 3rd, 2012, 22:47
I went from APR TCU to MTM. APR just holds gears longer. MTM is really a remap as mark said.

On a side note, QuattroRS, where are located?

mdegracia
January 3rd, 2012, 23:08
Thanks guys!

Well I emailed Hoppen and have not heard anything back from them yet.

How does their process work? Mail out TCU and they chip it and ship back? What does the $125 price cover, just the chip?

Matt

marklar182
January 3rd, 2012, 23:30
Hoppen will install the chip in the TCU and send it back for $125 (maybe plus return shipping?)