PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket exhausts

BuffaloRS6
January 2nd, 2012, 08:08
Who here has upgraded their exhaust? I have the SE exhaust and I think it sounds great, I'm just looking to add a little extra "oomph" to it. I've searched the forums and couldn't really find anything. Anyone here just upgraded their mufflers to an aftermarket brand? I'm looking to keep the carbon tips too. Not really looking to do aftermarket downpipes (yet). Read about gutting pre cats...just how involved is this? Just looking for the best bang for the buck upgrade for this exhaust. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks

lswing
January 2nd, 2012, 08:29
I'm in the same spot, pulling the engine next month so anything goes. Really like the sound of the SE, but reducing the back pressure would be nice, along with pulling the pre-cat. I assume this is before the turbo? Putting a new up-pipe and high flow cat on my wrx was a world of difference...

BuffaloRS6
January 2nd, 2012, 08:59
What are you pulling the motor for? Also, quick question - how do you like your MTM shift chip & REVO tune? Been thinking about one of those to go with a Viper or REVO tune possibly. But my car's previous owner blew the tranny 3 days after installing a tune. A new transmission was installed by a local Audi dealer before I bought it. So, naturally, I'm very worried about chipping this car. Level 10 makes a transmission rebuilding kit which will probably be necessary in the long run for reliability purposes... USP Motorsports has mufflers for our cars as well as a custom x pipe section I believe, or so this YouTube video would have me believe. Might give them a shout this week & see what they offer. Their website only shows B&B exhaust & APR systems. No individual parts for sale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QES9tDTu2d8&feature=related

hahnmgh63
January 2nd, 2012, 11:36
Stay away from Level 10 as their quality has went down dramatically in the last few years, just do a Google search and look at the '08-on feedback, not the old stuff and I'll tell you why in a minute. As far as the exhaust goes there is a multitude of options depending on what you want and what your local county Mounties want. Do you need to pass emissions? I have heard that any RS6 that has gutted the pre-cats and is in normal working order has passed any state emissions (by the time you get to the emissions station the car & main cats are warmed up and working good). I also know of a few tuned RS6's that have passed state emissions with no cats (remember that almost all state emissions are much less stringent that the OEM EPA emissons, but not Cali.). If emissions aren't a factor you can gut both downpipes (even better purchase some Catless Milltek downpipes from Unit 20 in the Uk for around $1100~$1150 shipped). I was going to gut my pre-cats but when I found out how cheap I could get the Milltek's from Unit 20 compared to anyone in the U.S. w/shipping included I went that route. With stock SE exhaust & Catless downpipes it sound throatier from in the car and out at idle but just slightly over stock, almost like the stage from regular to SE. At cruise it is almost imperceptible increase in noise until you put the hammer down then she opens up. Without the Cats (and Milltek Downpipes are a 1/4" larger than stock and better bends without the Cat chambers) the Turbos spool a little quick and seat of the pants is definitely quicker. Earlier boost is a fact and more HP is a fact but who knows how much. 20~25bhp has been quoted without the Pre-cats and without all the Cats I would guess at least that much and more for sure. I expected a fair amount more noise but it turned out about perfect, no noise complaints but people know there is a beast lurking when you cruise by because of the growl.
I don't think there is Cat Back exhaust out there that is going to increase your HP. Sound changes yes but HP increase of 1~2 is probably pushing it. Check any magazine that has done actual Dyno work with a Catback change and you'll see. Especially on a Turbo car. I won't slam the APR / B&B but there are many that don't like the 4 tips. I haven't seen it in person, just in pics and I am not a fan. On the other hand I have two Porsches (944T & older 911 w/ late model 3.6ltr motor) that have B&B exhaust and I can say their quality is very good in that they are not a fly by night exhaust manufacturing company, so to each his own. But since you already have the SE you might want to go with the gutted Cats, or if emissions isn't a factor I highly recommend the Millteks. Elevens down in FL talked me into the Millteks and it was one of the best investments I did to the car and once again the price from Unit20 was cheap, even with shipping all the way to WA state. See what other opinions you get here and let us know what you decide and once you do it let us all know your opinions good & bad.

QuattroRS
January 2nd, 2012, 19:06
Viper or Eurocharged seem to be the better ECU flashes. MTM TCU chip is a must if you go with Eurocharged.

Revo is ok but you may need to trim the fueling as it can run lean.

BuffaloRS6
January 2nd, 2012, 21:42
@hahnmgh63 Thanks for that info about Level 10 & the exhaust options. Basically what I'm looking for is a little louder/throatier exhaust note than the SE system currently has, BUT with keeping the somewhat civil inner cabin noise levels. So gutting the precats & maybe USP mufflers is what I'll probably end up going with. I have a VAST Stage 3 B5 S4 that has no cats & has been coded out to pass inspection (I'm in NY) & it's LOUD, but I LOVE it. As far as tuning goes; I'll probably go with the MTM TCU & Viper tune in the spring. I'll let you all know my impressions of it once I get it done.

covertw12
January 3rd, 2012, 16:25
I can't say enough grat things about the system that USP built for my car..... I'm assuming from your handle that you're in NY ? they Partner with EPL labs in CT and tony there could likely duplicate my system I'd think..... I did 3" tubing on Labree DP's with Cat deletes, Xpipe and APR cans and then Miltek tips...... in the clip the car was still having boost issues due to the bad MAF seals - broken in and running right it can be either mild or make mom's pull their kids onto the sidewalks in a panic..... all depends on the laod and boost.....

the net was expensive but it gave the car the soul it needed, and the DP's truly added lower end torque.....

Email me if you have any questions -

E

BuffaloRS6
January 3rd, 2012, 21:16
@covertw12 Thanks for the reply. I love the way your exhaust sounds man. Sounds truly beastly. I am in Buffalo, NY. Were you able to buy the mufflers separate from USP since you had them build the system for you? How much was the whole system if you don't mind me asking? I am on the fence about keeping this car close to stock, but after owning it for about 3 months now, I'm starting to get the itch. Bad. How do you like the Wagner IC's as opposed to stock? I'm considering doing up the whole car - 19"s, KW3's, MTM TCU, Viper tune & full exhaust. I'd like to make this thing faster than my S4.

covertw12
January 3rd, 2012, 21:29
It's a disease ....and a really good one. I had them build it up as I lived in FL at the time, they did all the work on the car - well worth finding someone who's got the time working specifically with the car to do your build if your so inclined.... it's dealing the little things that make it all work together. for example my car ran like junk after we did the exhaust, ic's and msic other work - all because with the new tune and flwo the OEM maf's seals failed.... as did the injector o rings.... and gapping the plugs in conjunction all made it run perfect.... one day later it was a whole new car. I'm not sure who's closest to you but ther are shops in NJ and CT and perhaps Stratmosphere ?

The Wagners really just keep the car running cooler - a huge thing given the Texas summer we just had. I'm not sure I'd do it in your climate but for sure do the hoses....and t-clamps. and be sure to delete the foglights if you do..... seems just silly to me to upgrade ic's and then cover half the effective surface....

email me direct if you want more info or details on anything - sounds like you're headed down a familiar path !

E

BuffaloRS6
January 4th, 2012, 01:58
Nice! Thanks again. I'm going to give them a call @ USP. I figured doing the IC's would benefit everything else being added. i.e. - exhaust, tuning, etc.