PDA

View Full Version : New turbos or rebuilt?

lswing
January 1st, 2012, 18:19
Talking with a few audi guys, they were saying the turbo on the rs6 is a k04 I believe (according to Scroll)? The only difference being the exhaust connection sizes? I've heard people say new turbos are $3-4k for the rs6, maybe not though, sources?

I'm hoping to order two new or rebuilt, and send mine back for the core money. Anybody have a place online for this?

And how high are your miles on your stock turbos? I've got 90k on mine, running great, but have to pull the motor so am replacing.

And a quick edit, we were really interested in putting a slightly larger turbo on, same pipe fittings obviously, just a bit bigger to handle the slight boost increase.

lswing
January 1st, 2012, 18:29
This doesn't look too bad...

http://www.turbochargerpros.com/addtocart/2003_Audi/RS6/Turbocharger/40-30074.html#

MaxRS6
January 1st, 2012, 18:30
You might consider Scroll for a rebuild.

http://site.scrollproducts.com/en

MaxRS6
January 1st, 2012, 18:34
This doesn't look too bad...

http://www.turbochargerpros.com/addtocart/2003_Audi/RS6/Turbocharger/40-30074.html#

Don't do the 40-300074AN. I had a bad experience with these as several failed.

Go with the OEM, Scroll or another option.

lswing
January 1st, 2012, 18:39
Thanks much good sir! Now what about going up a size on the turbos? While I'm at it...

Elevens
January 1st, 2012, 20:25
Your Looking for Trouble Mr Iswing. Unless your going for some Extensive modifications later on, why mess with Turbo Charger size. That's only going to result in Reliability and Fitment issues. Shawn at ScrollProducts has done a tremendous job on Hahnmgh63 and my Turbo's. So unless you want to spend $4000+ for New KO4's Scroll is the Best way to go. All internals are upgraded, all seals are pressure tested and the spinning components are balanced to over 160,000 RPM. They also looked brand new upon return. I can't say enough..................

lswing
January 1st, 2012, 20:37
Message into Scroll about the rebuild, thanks!

hahnmgh63
January 2nd, 2012, 01:19
Scroll Products :)

ttboost
January 3rd, 2012, 01:08
Your Looking for Trouble Mr Iswing. Unless your going for some Extensive modifications later on, why mess with Turbo Charger size. That's only going to result in Reliability and Fitment issues. Shawn at ScrollProducts has done a tremendous job on Hahnmgh63 and my Turbo's. So unless you want to spend $4000+ for New KO4's Scroll is the Best way to go. All internals are upgraded, all seals are pressure tested and the spinning components are balanced to over 160,000 RPM. They also looked brand new upon return. I can't say enough..................

Scroll Products :)

I see Scroll does a compessor upgrade for the RS6 turbos? Is this what you guys did?

Sort of still on topic: Does anyone know who makes a new or "upgraded" wastegate?

Jimmy Joe
January 3rd, 2012, 05:31
Scroll all the way !

hahnmgh63
January 3rd, 2012, 10:29
Did a stock Scroll rebuild with new Shafts and they do a few reliability upgrades that have been incorporated on the newer K04's since our RS6's were built.

SzymekCRX
January 3rd, 2012, 11:54
Any1 one knows whether it's a Polish company with the USA office or the other way round ? :)

lswing
January 3rd, 2012, 17:41
Had a good chat with Sean at Scroll, very knowledgeable about the rebuild and options. The guy is into his work, always a good sign! Looking at $1,300 for full internal rebuild with shafts for both. He couldn't say enough about how well these are built from the factory, and still adding that the ones I will get back will be even better.

I'm a bit unsure about the shipping and repair turnaround time of a week or so total, so am considering buying a set to have rebuilt, any one have some old ones? Contacted Shokan about it also. The cost might be too high though.

MaxRS6
January 3rd, 2012, 18:36
^ I actually have a couple of used cores that came off when I had new turbos installed.

The driver side turbo is just as it came off the car and in working order- ready to be rebuilt.

The passenger side core, the shop disassembled a bit to find out where it had failed. They determined a metal piece from the exhaust manifold had messed up the fan. However; it still a good core candidate for a rebuild, and all the parts are still with it.

Let me know if you want to negotiate...;0

lswing
January 3rd, 2012, 18:51
Hmmm, sounds like they should be ready for Scroll then. I wonder if he would replace the fan using the one that is still together, cost might not be to high for a fan, might. Ok, first offer, $400...I'll pass the price on when I sell mine to someone else eventually...thoughts?

MaxRS6
January 3rd, 2012, 18:59
I don't want to bust a sale. However; one other thing is the warranty. I ended up buying my turbos from the tech. I'm glad I did as when the new turbo set went south, the tech covered the second, third, and even fourth repair on their dime (parts & labor). Obviously, I would not expect there to be any issues with a scroll rebuild, it is worth considering as you ponder the options.

It is just something to consider in the overall picture.

PM me if you want mine and I'm sure we can work it out. I'm willing for Scroll to inspect them before you send any funds to make sure they will work for you.

ttboost
January 3rd, 2012, 19:18
Hmmmm...another turbo vendor, who is a Borg Warner rep, said that these RS6 KO4 parts are no longer available? I wonder if Scroll is using parts from...you know...? ...and how good are they? I guess people are having success with them?

kday
January 3rd, 2012, 20:11
What makes these K04s specific to the RS6? I could see not being able to buy new housings anymore (though that would be unfortunate), but bearings, seals, shafts, and wheels are probably shared with some other K04 models.

formula1man
January 3rd, 2012, 20:17
A Little off the topic, but who would "we" suggest for the tranny upgrade? I kept hearing until now how great Level 10 was.

lswing
January 3rd, 2012, 20:23
Just a note, Sean at Scroll said he's never seen a better housing on a turbo, Audi made this out of an amazingly strong alloy to take heat, others are swiss cheese, or so says a turbo expert...

lswing
January 3rd, 2012, 20:25
A Little off the topic, but who would "we" suggest for the tranny upgrade? I kept hearing until now how great Level 10 was.

Highjack, that's who...kidding, but this was turbo rebuild...I guess rebuild gives it some vague connection, good luck with the trans rebuild...

kday
January 3rd, 2012, 20:45
Just a note, Sean at Scroll said he's never seen a better housing on a turbo, Audi made this out of an amazingly strong alloy to take heat, others are swiss cheese, or so says a turbo expert...

That's interesting. I wonder if it's the same stuff Garrett uses on some of their units. I put a GT2560R on my Miata and had the choice of a regular exhaust housing, or one made of "Ni-resist" for extreme duty. I got the Ni-resist one and it is noticeably different stuff than your usual turbo housing. Came with an Inconel exhaust wheel as a bonus :)

speedtrapped
January 4th, 2012, 21:23
Lou, I have spoken to scroll numerous times. The rebuild seems ideal, I believe the newer shaft installed is OEM but has mor oil lubricating holes. Also I did ask about larger turbine and compressor wheels, a la hybrid(dahlback, or loba) bit the additional 5 mm on the compressor side requires modify ing the inlet, the rubber o ring ridge would be too thin after porting polishing to allow for the bigger wheel. Scroll said he has done it and warranties it, but it's mo $$.

lswing
January 4th, 2012, 21:42
Agreed, had a good conversation with Scroll about those details. I think the updated shaft has rifling like a gun barrel, allows more oil in. $300 more for that option, making it $1300 for the two, not bad really...