PDA

View Full Version : The List: Power Steering replacement to do's...

lswing
December 28th, 2011, 16:59
Thanks for the input all, here's my list with a few questions, please add to it if needed. Looking through ETKA, those top bolts on the shield look horrible to get to, so I'm guessing the engine is coming out.

Power steering rack- new or rebuilt? It's about a $300 difference. Do they buy the core back?

Aluminum Oil cooler tube and seals (oil cooler mod)-

Valve cover gaskets-

Cam Tensioner seals-

Engine Belts-

Rebuild turbos, seals, washers- Scroll?

IC Hoses (4 out of the 6 are already done)-

Post run coolant pump-

Gut and ceramic coat DP's- Who, and how much more noise? I have SE already.

EGT and O2 sensors-

Water hoses, seals-

marklar182
December 28th, 2011, 17:32
Be sure to post some vids of the exhaust once you gut with the SE. I am curious to hear how it sounds.

Are you gutting precats or all cats?

lswing
December 28th, 2011, 17:35
I've just been thinking of the DP's, will look further into it. Just looking to reduce a bit of back pressure, maybe still pass emissions if I need to someday...

Elevens
December 28th, 2011, 19:17
It would seem that you have most everything covered. While mine was out every Vacuum line was replaced also. So you might want to look into that also. It may seem that you are spending a lot of money now, but for peace of mind for the next few years its worth it. After all our cars are 8 going on 9 years old. But when setup properly there's nothing more rewarding than driving these Beasts. Good Luck with the Repairs...................................

marklar182
December 28th, 2011, 19:21
I've just been thinking of the DP's, will look further into it. Just looking to reduce a bit of back pressure, maybe still pass emissions if I need to someday...

I am pretty sure you will pass sniffer emissions with just the pre cats deleted :)

Aronis
January 1st, 2012, 02:11
That's a long list. What are you thoughts on the Turbos? If you get new, you will have a 12,000 mile, 12 month warrantee...?same for rebuilt? That is one of my biggest concerns on the car's life expectancy. I know turbos don't last for ever.

I am waiting until the spring to get new intercoolers installed. My drivers side one has a small leak, can hear the tell tale noise but no CEL or performance difference according to VAG logs....

Good luck with the repairs.

Mike