PDA

View Full Version : Does the C5 RS6 share it's main radiator with the 4.2 NA engine?

silva
December 22nd, 2011, 02:48
Hi guys/ gals,
I have been a long-time reader, owned many Audis, and recently purchased an RS6. First mod was the obvious ECU flash to make the car a bit more fun to drive, so much so that I have been averaging a little over 12 MPG (Ouch!). It is a great family hauler, that's for sure.

Over the last few weeks, I have noticed on occasion a very faint smell of coolant. Just a few days ago I opened the hood and noticed a bit of steam coming through the A/C condenser. This is likely due to the fact that it was cold and raining, making the coolant leak much easier to spot. There is a pinhole in the radiator. It has never dripped on the ground, and has only gone though about 1/2 quart of coolant in the last month. Nevertheless, I want to repair this, and will likely do a second timing belt change at the same time.

So here is my question: Does the C5 RS6 share its main radiator with the 4.2 in the C5 A6? I see different part numbers in ETKA, as follows:
4B3 121 251 F - RS6
4B3 121 251 D - NA 4.2 A6.

On fleabay and many other aftermarket sites, they list the same radiator for both cars. I don't think it's right, but has anyone found out otherwise? I don't want to buy an A6 radiator to find out that it's different, but I also don't want to spend $1K on an RS6 radiator if the A6 one is the same, or nearly identical. From looking at the radiator though, it does appear that it is all metal, unlike the A6 which has plastic end tanks. Could this be the difference? Thanks in advance. Pic for hits :)

JSRS6
December 22nd, 2011, 04:02
The radiator is unfortunately specific to the RS6. It has different fittings. My shop found out the hard way.

Jimmy Joe
December 22nd, 2011, 04:54
I also had a pin hole in the radiator. A radiator shop fixed it for around 80 bucks, serviced, cleaning and painting included. The radiator is a Modine unit made of cooper, so it can be soldered. very resistant and very well made, not like those plastic/aluminium contraptions that are so common this days. no need to buy a new one.

good luck !

Jimmy Joe.

ben916
December 22nd, 2011, 05:10
Welcome Silva!

Got a VIN?
and where in the heck are you in this world?

Nice color choice! It tends to be the fastest...

MaxRS6
December 22nd, 2011, 11:37
Welcome aboard the..

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Ozzy%20at%20Emerald/CrazyTrainPoster1.jpg?t=1293713060

4everRS
December 22nd, 2011, 15:02
I also had a pin hole in the radiator. A radiator shop fixed it for around 80 bucks, serviced, cleaning and painting included. The radiator is a Modine unit made of cooper, so it can be soldered. very resistant and very well made, not like those plastic/aluminium contraptions that are so common this days. no need to buy a new one.

good luck !

Jimmy Joe.
Hmm. I though the rs6 had plastic end tanks as well?

Max, what does ABO mean in your sig?

lswing
December 22nd, 2011, 16:25
Very nice, enjoy the Beast! What tune do you have? I've got the REVO stage 1 and get 12.7mpg around town with some short freeway trips thrown in. On the highway going 70 I get around 24mpg. It also helps to keep my foot out of the gas, but not much...

silva
December 23rd, 2011, 04:04
Thanks for the suggestion to have the radiator repaired. I was thinking of that, but I didn't know whether it was possible on this particular radiator. Since it is made of copper, that should be easy for any rad shop to do.

I am located in Canada. The car was originally purchased in the US (New Jersey). It has had two previous owners, the first of which had an MTM tune on the car. Funny though, as I bought an EPL tune and could not flash it at home as I have with both my B5 S4 and C5 allroad (yes, a bit of an Audi fan, but heck, why not stick with something you know...how to fiX!). Anyways, I pulled the ECU to send it to EPL, and on the back of the ECU was a piece of masking tape with a customer name and a phrase stating: "Customer requests stock program". EPL confirmed this when they opened the ECU to find the riser board with an MTM branded chip. I wonder who in their right mind would return an RS6 to stock mode after being chipped! Anyways, the car now has an EPL stage 1 tune with the rear O2s eliminated (in case I want to put straight pipes on it, lol)!

By the way, some of you may or may not know of me. I have been around other Audi forums for about 10 years, mostly Audiworld and lately Quattroworld (same user name). I used to make short throw shifters for the B5, C5 and B6 cars, and also dabbled in some aftermarket intercoolers for the B5 S4 and RS4 (IPP intercoolers). I hope to be able to contribute something good for this platform.

bakes
December 23rd, 2011, 12:36
Hey Sergio!

Weclome to the board! For those Canadian readers, Sergio also can help you inmport up US car to Canada. As he did when I purchased Headshot's RS6! Great guy and superb service!

silva
December 23rd, 2011, 15:23
Welcome aboard the..

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Ozzy%20at%20Emerald/CrazyTrainPoster1.jpg?t=1293713060

Lol, I got on that crazy train many moons ago with the first B5 S4 I bought nearly 10 years ago. Surprisingly, i've never wanted to get off this train! On the bright side, it has been one hell of a ride.