PDA

View Full Version : AVIC Z130BT Install Questions

Mattionals
December 20th, 2011, 05:16
Ok so the time has finally come to where I want to update the in dash receiver from the RNS-E that I bought installed in the car. I'm not getting rid of the RNS-E, just going to replace the unit with something more modern. So far I have purchased my unit and a CAN-MULTI so I can connect VCC and switched power, emergency brake, and all of that fun stuff.

My questions are, and I have done some digging, is that I would like to retain the stock Onstar mic. My onstar is no longer connected, but the mic is being used for bluetooth and I'd like to hook it up that way with the AVIC if possible. Is this doable via some sort of adapter? Can it be done by splicing the mic wires from the car into the ones provided for the AVIC?

My second question is retaining the use of the sharkfin GPS. I have searched to find many people have "spliced" the pioneer cable to the factory harness, but IMO that would probably cut down on signal quality and strength if it isn't a good splice job so what adapter would I need here?

One last thing is that I will lose connectivity to the cluster right? I figure that I would and it isn't a real big deal as the only thing I actually ever looked at was what road I was on, but a 7 inch touch screen should provide a bit easier view of that!

Thanks in advance!

-Matt

bakes
December 20th, 2011, 15:14
Please keep us posted on how your install goes. The unit you are installing was one a I was considering replacing my symphony with. It will be my spring project I hope. Pictures of the install when complete and feedback on the unit would be great!

MNRS6
December 21st, 2011, 18:06
Mattionals, what are you using for a faceplate?? How does it look?

Mattionals
December 29th, 2011, 04:06
Hey all!

Sorry for the work stoppage but the holidays and the real job have been crazy! So far it seems that I am answering my own questions, little by little. As some back story I purchased the vehicle from Jee, SRC4S on the forum here. If you ever want to buy a vehicle that he is selling, go for it as he is the nicest and most genuine car enthusiast and private seller that I have met! Very wonderful experience! Now onto the radio. I loved the RNS-E but it really has become dated and since I won't put a single performance mod on my beast, I decided it was time to go for some better sounding, and more 21st century sounds.

The AVIC z130bt is a beautiful unit first off. It also sounds great and works very intuitively! What I have used so far in my installation is the Connects2 CTSAD003 interface. This is for stalk, read MFSW, controls but it allows for the connection of the stock wiring harness directly to a CAN-BUS break out device! This gives the benefit of switched power, VSS, illumination, reverse, and the parking brake which all get connected to the AVIC. Now my problem here lies within the fact that the parking brake did not seem to work. I'm not sure if reverse or VSS work yet as I have yet to take the car for a spin.

Right now I have tried to adapt the NAV pins from the standard Symphony II wiring to the mic input on the AVIC. No joy, so it looks as if I will have to go with the pioneer mic and try to hide it somewhere. I tried swapping the FAKRA connector on the factory GPS RF connection with the one from the Pioneer unit and this is also no joy. No problems as I have mounted the antenna, magnetic ftw, beneath the dash and in the same location on the firewall that many suggest for doing the Symphony II to RNS-E upgrade. I have also mounted an XM antenna there as well. The factory Sirius was lifetime, yet I do not get baseball games and I am a DIEHARD Washington Nationals fan, hence the name, so I went with the pioneer XM add on. So far I have connected everything up and things are working, yet I do not know about VSS and in order to get the Nav working correctly, I may have to tap that line off the harness somewhere.

I am using the Metra faceplate surround and although it looks alright, not flush on the bottom, I have already broke it and will be looking for another solution. The only other issue is there is ZERO room behind that radio deck so I have no clue how I am going to get all the wires to stay in place. Will update in the future and thanks for viewing/posting!

bakes
January 19th, 2012, 14:57
Any update on your install?

Mattionals
February 11th, 2012, 20:47
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been going crazy with work lately and have only found short amounts of time to get everything straightened out. So for about the past two months I have the AVIC installed.

The CAN-BUS simulator died out on me so I ordered another one but this one didn't seem to work correctly so the VSS and Switched ignition wires were all that were used from the factory wiring, just by extending some wires from behind the console.

Sounds and works great, and really the only things I have to gripe about are the AM/FM reception is now terrible even with the power adapter and the illumination isn't hooked up so when I turn my lights on, the Navi doesn't switch to night mode.

Pics in shortly!