PDA

View Full Version : Temp gauge readings

Hammer
December 18th, 2011, 04:21
I have noticed bizarre readings on my temp gauge lately. It reads at the half way point...and then drops
to nothing as I'm driving. Will stay that way and then next time your start the car it reads normal again.

What is dying?

Rick

JSRS6
December 18th, 2011, 04:37
I assume you mean the coolant temp gauge.
Your coolant temp sensor is either going bad, or you have air in the lines.

Hammer
December 18th, 2011, 05:18
Yes...coolant. Thanks for the info.

Hy Octane
December 18th, 2011, 18:16
Thermostat.

SAF
December 18th, 2011, 19:10
x2> coolant temp sensor.

kday
December 18th, 2011, 19:32
Sounds more like a bad thermostat to me. The classic symptom of a thermostat sticking open is the coolant temperature being normal at low speeds and too low at high speeds.

I have a similar issue that I just noticed. I replaced my G62 sensor a few days ago (it was setting a code and causing the fans to run all the time), and then went on a trip. At highway speed, the coolant gauge is halfway between C and vertical. In city traffic the gauge is vertical, as it should be. (I really wish they put graduations on all of the gauges.) The oil temperature gauge also reads low on the highway and higher in the city. Having this second view of engine temperature via the oil is useful, as otherwise it is possible (though unlikely) that my new G62 coolant temperature sensor is reading incorrectly. I am confident that my thermostat is sticking open. For whatever reason, Audi thermostats don't last very long. I've had this issue multiple times on other Audis. I am due for a timing belt change in 5k anyway, so I am going to do it early and do the thermostat then.