PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to get to the steering rack bolts?

speedtrapped
December 17th, 2011, 00:36
I bought some new stretch bolts, and would like to replace the ones that are in there. Why?, well the rack was removed and I don't think my mechanic replaced with new ones. They were cheap enough, was wondering if I would be able to do myself?

yokust
December 17th, 2011, 01:31
two easy from the rain tray, third one is not going to happen

speedtrapped
December 17th, 2011, 03:50
Thank you! Well 2 out of 3 not bad. I guess 3rd is next engine pull. Btw what is socket type?

JSRS6
December 17th, 2011, 05:21
IIRC torx or triple square.

speedtrapped
December 17th, 2011, 14:41
Ty Josh .

lswing
December 19th, 2011, 17:24
Hey, why was the rack removed, leaking seals? I've got a leak on mine, wondering how to get it out of the car, do you know what your mech did? Engine pull as in the books or a work around? Thanks!

yokust
December 19th, 2011, 20:20
I dont know if you could get the rack out with either the motor or trans still installed.

The headtsheilds covering the lower rack bolt cannot be removed with the motor/trans still installed.

If maybe someone had skinny enough little girl arms, might be able to reach in thru drivers tie rod opening to get bolt out once the pressure lines were removed. But I know I do way to many beer curls to fit in there

lswing
December 19th, 2011, 20:23
Thanks yokust, I really just want to put money into the car to make it fast, damn maintenance. This will be a good sized job...

hahnmgh63
December 19th, 2011, 21:06
That's why child slave labor should be legal, skinny little children's arms to help with these projects.

lswing
December 19th, 2011, 21:23
Ha, if only Audi would adopt Nike's business practices...all I can do is spend more money fixing other stuff to not feel bad about the $1500 for a leaking seal...

Aronis
December 20th, 2011, 00:31
you'll need an offset joint to get at them. It's a 12point socket type.

I tightened the top two two years ago....all is fine so far......I suspect the third is long gone.... LOL..

Mike

Hy Octane
December 20th, 2011, 17:22
When mine first came loose years ago, my Audi tech used a long socket extension with a kink in it to reach way down and tighten that 3rd bolt..Used a glob of loctite on each and no trouble since then.. It can be done, you need the right tool..

yokust
December 20th, 2011, 19:56
When mine first came loose years ago, my Audi tech used a long socket extension with a kink in it to reach way down and tighten that 3rd bolt..Used a glob of loctite on each and no trouble since then.. It can be done, you need the right tool..

You can do it on all other cars but the RS6, unless he cut a whole in the heatsheilds to get to the lower botl is the only way. I have done two racks on these cars, and bottom bolt is fully covered. Here is a pic of the manual of the covers over the rack.

And unless you remove the center and drivers side heatsheilds the lower bolt is not accesible.

On 4.2 n/a motors, 2.7t, and 2.8, they do not have those center covers to be able to access the rack bolts

yokust
December 20th, 2011, 19:57
And just to let everyone know, really only the pass side bolt under the coolant bottle ever comes loose. the drivers side since it has two bolts rarely comes loose, unless the pass side has been loose for an extended period of time.

Brav
December 20th, 2011, 20:30
I have been tracking down a clunk for a while, new control arm bushings didnt work.. maybe this is it.

speedtrapped
December 20th, 2011, 20:51
Brav, my clunking grew louder and louder....it was the rack bolts, NO more clunking

Brav
December 20th, 2011, 22:44
Yea, mine is getting worse. Even some grinding when going over steep driveway at angle when wheels are turned in. Was yours causing any high speed vibration?

Hy Octane
December 20th, 2011, 22:49
OK. Just to be clear.. There are 4 steering rack bolts.. only 3 are accessable.. The 4th really never comes loose..(thats the one you cant reach)..but its the other 3 that do.. and its the 3rd of these which I was referring to..

speedtrapped
December 21st, 2011, 00:06
Not that I recall

yokust
December 21st, 2011, 00:26
OK. Just to be clear.. There are 4 steering rack bolts.. only 3 are accessable.. The 4th really never comes loose..(thats the one you cant reach)..but its the other 3 that do.. and its the 3rd of these which I was referring to..

Only 3 total rack bolts. 2 are accesible from the rain tray, one under coolant bottle and one under brake booster. 1 bolt points up from the bottom of the car which is covered by the covers shown in picture.

Drivers side has 1 up and 1 down, and passenger side has one down

aussie rs6
February 15th, 2012, 17:26
You can do it on all other cars but the RS6, unless he cut a whole in the heatsheilds to get to the lower botl is the only way. I have done two racks on these cars, and bottom bolt is fully covered. Here is a pic of the manual of the covers over the rack.

And unless you remove the center and drivers side heatsheilds the lower bolt is not accesible.

On 4.2 n/a motors, 2.7t, and 2.8, they do not have those center covers to be able to access the rack bolts

I have for second time had the steering rack bolts come loose at 45,000 miles, producing the charasteristic "groan" through the steering column at low speed when parking and not so much, but occasional groan when driving, when stress is placed on the steering rack mounting bolts by turning. The groans freak out the wife when driving the RS6!

First time was just after a transmission/engine pull and transmission replacement at 20,000 miles and the rack mounting bolts were not torqued up correctly by the dealer.: ( and only the two accesible bolts tightened up by dealer while engine in car, but I was not told that at the time!)

Second time now at 45,000 miles.

My indie mechanic could only tighten up 2 steering rack mounting bolts, with the one on the left hand side looking to the front very loose-finger tight.

Most likely the two (?) bolts that cannot be accessed without engine pull, are loose from the 20,000 mile installation and this results in outside accesible bolts coming loose with continous stress on the rack mounting.

If the Indie mechanic was of a simian flexible nature, he might be able get at the 3rd bolt that Aronis/Yokust/HyOctane speak of, but the 4th bolt needs the engine pull.

The lesson to be learned here is to double check that all four steering rack mounting bolts should be torqued correctly with new stretch bolts before the engine/trans go back in.

I have asked mechanic next time the two accesible bolts come loose ( and they will given the stress on the rack mounting) to look at drilling the heads of the bolts and wiring them after torqued up correctly.

Although a wonderful beast, such is life with a C5 RS6 when the Audi dealer mechanic screws up. :vgrumpy:

Talk about the 'Law of unintended consequences'! and 'Stitch in time saves nine'

Oh well, when the TC goes as it will, I can install an ACE converter, my 3" catless miltek down pipes and new steering rack bolts plus replace all the other sensors that you cant get at without an engine pull!

You dont have to be a masochist to be an RS6 owner, but it sure helps!
:addict::addict::addict:
john

4everRS
February 15th, 2012, 18:23
Again, I dont think there are 4 bolts, but 3. If there are 4, let's see a pic.

Also, a groaning would likely indicate a fluid issue. I would check, and likely replace the fluid to see what happens.

SteveKen
February 15th, 2012, 18:27
There are three (3) bolts. They are a 12 point 10mm I think. Two (2) on the top, one (1) on the bottom.

lswing
February 15th, 2012, 18:27
I'll let you know for sure next week, my car goes to the shop tonight for the steering rack and....water/meth, coated headers/DP's, Scroll turbos....

My mechanic, who has worked on many Audi's, said the low speed groaning/shudder was the center dif wearing out.....I'll let you know if it goes away after the steering fix...

aussie rs6
February 15th, 2012, 18:35
Gentlemen, thank you for your prompt post. Much appreciated. My indie mechanic was of the view that only three bolts holding the rack with the third lower bolt tightening/replacement, an engine out job.

I was just going off a previous post on the four bolts, but appreciate clarification.

The groan was not your typical power steering unit noise or slipping belt and it was not constant but intermittent.

Anyway, on tightening the two upper steering rack bolts today, all noise has gone away and sweetness and light has returned in this department.

Again thanks for the prompt posts.

john

Aronis
February 16th, 2012, 23:14
Those top two are easy to get to. I just had a wrench on my top two last weekend while searching for the source of a slight noise up front. (they were still tight from two years ago.) The third is underneath and blocked by the engine.

Two out of three should be fine...

LOL..

Mike