PDA

View Full Version : Navigation??

2manycars
October 16th, 2003, 02:02
My new RS6 (the white one), had the horrible Navigation system in it. The damn thing splits the state 3 blocks from my house. At least in the old Mercedes the unit was in the car, not the trunk. Any way to somehow upgrade/change the unit to a different type and still use the same screen for output?

I had looked in the European Nav. unit, but was told it was a lot of labor to install it, as well as not being able to integrate with the onstar system in any way.

Your feedback would be appreciated

Erik
October 16th, 2003, 08:52
I'm using a Pioneer DVD Navi and I'm very happy.

It costs less and gives you way more, but the cost can only be compared of you're buying a new car.

bilbozilla
October 16th, 2003, 15:47
My wife's Volvo nav system is nicer than the Audi's. I'm not big on aftermarket interior accessories on new cars, so I don't want to install a 3rd party nav unit in my RS6. However, I am addicted to having the Nav info readily available.

I was somewhat dissapointed, however, after ordering my RS6 with Nav that the US wasn't getting the Nav+ system like Europe has. I should know better by now that actual items may differ from pictures.

Not that I'm complaining.

btumble
October 17th, 2003, 15:14
My experience with the Nav on an Allroad was so mediocre that I opted not to get it on the RS6. The directions often send you way out of the way and the alt. route for traffic feature never did any good. Also didn't like not having a display map. You do get to your destination though often in more time than you expected. I am researching the aftermkt options will post when I make a decision.

2manycars
October 17th, 2003, 22:00
I looked into some options, including the european nav plus unit. The problem seems to be with its onstar integration. I like onstar, and have been told any change, even the European unit will disable onstar.

Not sure how true that is, so any experience would help. Also is there any way to upgrade the current unit(change the trunk unit or the like), so it uses less discs?

john hulbrock
October 18th, 2003, 02:53
2 many cars:

I would appreciate any info you have gathered regarding the European system- I don't mind giving up the on star if the Euro system with the display can be installed.
jh

rs6w
October 18th, 2003, 05:52
I've acutally been pretty happy with my nav in the S6.

I find it easier than the COMAND that is in my wife's E320.

Yea it doesn't have the nice screen but I think for my needs it's quite functional.

Quite honestly the best nav system I've seen is in the Acuras.

JP4
October 18th, 2003, 11:47
Originally posted by rs6w
Quite honestly the best nav system I've seen is in the Acuras.

I'm under the impression that the system in the Acura's is made by Alpine.

I have an aftermarket Alpine in my truck and I can tell you that it is fantastic. Very functional and lots of features. For example...you can enter most business location waypoints just by entering the phone number. You can sort common destinations by distance such as Italian restaurants or Baskin Robins Ice Cream shops. The unit I have will also play DVD's, CD's, CDRW's, and MP3 files. You can interface video sources directly into it and it will interface with Satellite Radio.

I have the factory NAV in my RS6 and I'm quite satisfied with it overall. It's better than the NAV system that I had in my '00 A6 4.2. The newer system in the Audi has several software enhancements that make it more useable.

Klint
October 18th, 2003, 12:51
Hi,

Does the Audi NAV system have an AUX connetion?

If so, it might be possible to purchase an aftermarket NAV control unit, which has the GPS antenna, DVD slot and an AUX connection etc to simply connect up to the Audi NAV.

I'm sure there are some out there as there are some TFT Screens avaliable on their own without some kind of Input/control unit. Alpine? ;)

:cheers:

JP4
October 18th, 2003, 15:01
Originally posted by Klint
Does the Audi NAV system have an AUX connection?

Any comment I make on this subject is PURE speculation. My guess is that the NAV+ system in Europe does have AUX connections. As for the US version...I would guess that there are no AUX connections to the system other than for satellite radio and Phat Box.

Erik
October 18th, 2003, 15:03
Audi Rs6 Japanese version has some widescreen edition.
Pictures are in some thread from before.

Volvo uses Alpine DVD. Audi's new system looks so much better!

Klint
October 18th, 2003, 15:34
Originally posted by JP4
Any comment I make on this subject is PURE speculation. My guess is that the NAV+ system in Europe does have AUX connections. As for the US version...I would guess that there are no AUX connections to the system other than for satellite radio and Phat Box.

If the speculation is correct, then the AUX can be used for more than the Satellite Radio and phat box alone. Unless the software in the NAV is only configured to be used with these two devices, but I can't see that happening.

I'm not sure how much the VW NAV resembles the Audi Nav unit. So, anyone with the NAV system care to go through the different screen options?

The Aux connection might appear on the screen where you change from radio, wether it's FM, MW or LW to the likes of the Multi CD player, in the boot.

I have a couple pictures of the VW NAV screen, where the AUX is shown but isn't highlighted as there is nothing connected to the AUX socket. I can post these if necessary.:)

2manycars
October 18th, 2003, 16:18
My biggest issue has a lot to do with where I live. The 9 discs would not be a problem, except in the Princeton area, the state is split diagonally across the area. The split comes about 1000 feet from my dealer, and again 3 blocks from my house. This makes for some interesting driving. Between myself and the dealer who is less than 6 miles from me, the navigation goes from off map to on map 4-5 times as I drive back and forth apparently across the split. The same problem occurs driving some of the major roads and highways near me. The BMW sytem did this many years ago, then they were able to eliminate 2 discs and it was fine. Now of course with the DVD system, it is not an issue at all.

The best unit I ever had was in my Lexus SC430. The touch screen and DVD was terrific, other than having to be stationary to enter new data.

My dealer suggested I try the MB discs, but they have the identical unit and split apparently.