PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine belt issue, power steering noise?

lswing
December 12th, 2011, 02:24
So I start up today, whirring vibrating buzzing noise from the front, amplifies and vibration increases when turning the wheel. Makes me think the serpentine belt is going, doesn't this power the AC and power steering on the car? After driving around for about 20 miles and things heating up, the noise went down some. I've been hearing a really light whining noise the last few weeks, I think that was the precursor to what just happened. Noise is worst at 1k RPM or when turning into a driveway, not too bad when driving. Think I'll try to get into the shop tomorrow. Any input or advice is appreciated as usual:)

Just another note, the Hakka R's that I put on feel good on the wet and dry, no snow or ice yet. A bit soft, but not too bad of a general driving feel for winter tires, and quiet too! I can spin them on the wet, couldn't do that with my summer Nitto's, damn torque:)

4everRS
December 12th, 2011, 02:31
I would first try new PS fluid. Sounds like your pump may be going, but new fluid could do the trick. I did mine a few weeks ago as I was hearing whining upon cold startup. You'll need a suction pump, but a turkey baster works alright too. Put new fluid in and turn wheel back and forth, and repeat .... like three times.

lswing
December 12th, 2011, 03:33
Thanks, was thinking power steering something for sure with the noise increasing upon turning into/out of parking spot or driveway...the noise really decreases on rpm increase though, still worried it might be a belt issue.

hahnmgh63
December 12th, 2011, 05:55
Pull the belly pan and you can inspect the Serpentine belt. Also you can pop off one of the power steering lines going to the front oil cooler to drain most of the fluid rather than just emptying the reservoir. If you do mostly a complete drain I would swap from CHF11S to CHF202 which is the new fluid Audi swapped to about a year or two after our cars were made. It is backwards compatible with the 11S as far a mixing and if you check on Amazon it also tends to be cheaper than the 11S. Porsche also swapped from 11S to 202 around 2005 time frame.

lswing
December 12th, 2011, 17:40
Over the phone, word from my mech is probably low on power steering fluid and the pump is suffering cavitation. He was saying the Audi's are notorious for leaking/using up fluid for some reason. Mentioned it's actually suggested to overfill a bit. Take it in tomorrow and see what we get.

Chung
December 12th, 2011, 21:22
My power steering screen is missing but I am told there is a screen in the reservoir that can get clogged. You might want to check that as well.

lswing
December 12th, 2011, 21:24
Will do, thanks for the info!

lswing
December 13th, 2011, 23:24
Drum roll..........power steering rack leak, passenger side seal, small leak for now, replacing the rack looks a bit nasty. New fluid, cycled, sounds and works just fine for today. The boot was torn, and this is the same corner that hit something with the previous owner, already replaced bent control arm. Sooooo, we're going to see how long the fluid lasts for now. I've had the car about 7 months, so hoping it's a really, really slow leak.

Rack is about $1,300 I believe, labor will take an engine pull I read, any of you have fun with this? If the engine gets pulled I'm clearing those downpipes, probably put the meth kit on also, any other ideas?

hahnmgh63
December 13th, 2011, 23:49
$1071 Audi Remanufactured 4B7422052CX or $1474 new 4B7422052C from Genuine VWAudi, both ECS & Impex prices are about $200 more each.

lswing
December 14th, 2011, 00:38
Hmmmmm......probably not a good idea, but?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Steering-Rack-AUDI-A6-S6-RS6-Stop-Leak-/300600066507

hahnmgh63
December 14th, 2011, 04:14
I notice it is Ebay motors UK but the fluid says Made in USA. And here you go on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10008-Power-Steering-Stop/dp/B000ARPVNO
But I wouldn't touch it, maybe for a car that took regular ATF but most Euro cars: VAG, Porsche, BMW, use a synthetic mineral oil.

lswing
December 14th, 2011, 06:16
Agreed, sounds like it's more for conditioning seals, where I think mine is a bit stressed from impact. Guessing the cold weather is allowing the leaking, I need a garage. Filled up with fluid, will check each week, maybe it will last months, one can hope!