PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in an Aquamist kit?

Pit Viper
December 9th, 2011, 20:30
I'm parting out my 2.7 A6, and realized that some of the RS6 owners might be interested in my Aquamist setup.

It's an HFS-6 system, which is the best system Aquamist ever made, IMO. I have a variety of extra jets, inline filters, etc...
Aquamist switched to using mostly barbed compression fittings for their lines. You never have to worry about leaks with this setup! Also, you can use a variety of different methods to active it, and it uses what is essentially a fuel injector to match the fuel injector pulse-width of your car so that you always get the same % of water/meth sprayed, no matter the rpm you're at.
I also have an 8-port manifold for it. I ran mine direct-port to my intake manifold, and then ran the extra 2 lines to a pair of jets prior to the TB.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r257/dimone2/A6%20Stage%203%20for%20sale/Aquamist05.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r257/dimone2/A6%20Stage%203%20for%20sale/aquamist01.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r257/dimone2/A6%20Stage%203%20for%20sale/Aquamist02.jpg

It's a steal at $700.

Pit Viper
January 3rd, 2012, 21:42
Guess not. :)

lswing
January 3rd, 2012, 22:24
I've been looking at a DevilsOwn system, this seems to have a few more levels of monitoring/adjustment to it, still spendy for a used system though, I think I can get into the DO's for around $500, only needing two injector points for the Y-pipe. Details?

I see it for $900 or so online, so $700 is high used IMO, guessing you have extra parts with it?

Pit Viper
January 4th, 2012, 16:17
I can't knock DO's stuff, I used to run one of their kits, and talked to Chance pretty regularly. I'll try to do a quick comparison here.

DO uses a controller that activates based on boost. You set your "on" boost, and your "full flow" boost points. It does this by varying the pump speed (and thus pressure). Relatively straight forward. Push-to-fit connectors and typical injection jets.

Aquamist HFS-6 uses a completely different setup. The pump is a constant 160 psi pressure. Instead of varying the pump on/off to control flow, Aquamist uses an inline high-speed valve, which is essentially a fuel injector. The controller reads the fuel injector pulse-width, and matches it with the high-speed valve. That way you can get an exact % match of water/meth to fuel, no matter what boost level, rpm, etc... The controller also reads a MAP or MAF sensor, although really you could use any 0-5V sensor that you want to use as a trigger. You can set your "on" parameter to be based on a certain fuel load, or a certain boost or air flow point, etc...

The kit uses all barbed fittings, with barbed compression fittings at the higher pressure points. I've never, ever had a leak with this system.

The HFS-6 has a lot of adjustments as well. There is a Threshold Adjustment to set the triggering point. There is an IDC Trim, which allows you to adjust your water/meth flow relative to the fuel flow, +/- 20% of the IDC. There is an IDC Gain, which allows you to increase or decrease the gain at the top end. There is a Boost Compensation adjustment, which can add duty cycle to the water flow based on boost levels.

Then there's fail-safe's. The system has a gauge, which has an on/off button for the system, and also measures flow. This was my initial bit selling point on Aquamist. I've run other systems where the pump is running, but there's air in the system and no water flow. There is no way to tell if this is the case with most systems. Aquamist actually measures the amount of flow. You can set it to trigger fail safe's if the flow is too low or too high (leak after the valve). There is a water level sensor you can install in your tank to let you know when your water is low.

As for optional parts, outside of the main kit, I have multiple inline filters, a 1-gallon tank (along with a bracket you can use to mount it), multiple extra jets, an 8-port manifold, Y-splitter, 1-to-4 connector, and an Wastegate By-pass valve. This valve can be used to drop your boost if the system detects an error (low or high flow, no water, etc...). That can save your engine if something goes wrong during a high-boost situation.

For all this, I consider $200 off the purchase price of the system to be a good deal.