PDA

View Full Version : Replacing one front shock?

UrS6
December 9th, 2011, 18:19
My dealer just called and said the problem with my DRC was a hol in the fluid line. They are going to replace the lines, the valve and one front and one rear shock. Shouldn't these be replaced in pairs? The DRC recall was done about 18 months ago so the other shocks are not that old.

Hy Octane
December 9th, 2011, 18:50
One front and one rear is a pair..

mik15
December 9th, 2011, 20:03
i don't think the shocks need to be replaced in pairs, i knew you have to do this when changing the springs, but if the other shocks are ok i don't think is need it...anyway you can do a shock test after they change it and see if you have any differences between them, i have just replaced 3 of them, before doing this i did a shock test and on the rear the result showed the difference between left and right due to the left one, so they've changed it and both on the front...i am still not sure if they did the right thing or they should've changed them all 4...

UrS6
December 9th, 2011, 20:03
I figure they need to pull the springs to replace the shocks. I could get some aftermarket springs with no more labor incurred? What is the go-to brand? H&R?

Bigglezworth
December 9th, 2011, 21:28
They will only do what is covered by warranty. Anything more is on your $. This will include being billed time to swap springs - even though you are correct in assuming that the strut is disassembled to change just the damper. The DRC recall was applicable to just the dampers also, so if you have a failed line, be prepared to be billed for the entire failure. At least that is what my understanding is with things where I live. Good luck with things.

UrS6
December 9th, 2011, 23:31
They will only do what is covered by warranty. Anything more is on your $. This will include being billed time to swap springs - even though you are correct in assuming that the strut is disassembled to change just the damper. The DRC recall was applicable to just the dampers also, so if you have a failed line, be prepared to be billed for the entire failure. At least that is what my understanding is with things where I live. Good luck with things.

I talked to my dealer. They said the parts alone will be about $2400 and is covered by my aftermarket warranty company. So I called them and they said they would pay for an aftermarket suspension if it doesn't cost any more. So, KW V3? even if it costs me $500 it sounds like a good deal. I don't know the labor for the two DRC shocks, lines and valve but could it be a wash? I hope so.

JSRS6
December 9th, 2011, 23:46
If they are willing to do it, take the deal!

Bigglezworth
December 10th, 2011, 00:16
I talked to my dealer. They said the parts alone will be about $2400 and is covered by my aftermarket warranty company. So I called them and they said they would pay for an aftermarket suspension if it doesn't cost any more. So, KW V3? even if it costs me $500 it sounds like a good deal. I don't know the labor for the two DRC shocks, lines and valve but could it be a wash? I hope so.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I was thinking of the warranty on the DRC recall only. Not that of an aftermarket warranty that covers everything.

MaxRS6
December 10th, 2011, 00:24
If they are willing to do it, take the deal!

+1- That is a great opportunity to rid yourself of the oil demon

UrS6
December 10th, 2011, 01:20
Sorry, I misunderstood. I was thinking of the warranty on the DRC recall only. Not that of an aftermarket warranty that covers everything.

I thought the same. I figured as the DRC was replaced during the recall that Audi was going to fix it. When I later spoke with my service rep she said it was a warranty issue. I'm hoping that I can get the KWs or the Bilsteins and have them installed for about the same money that it will cost to fix the DRC. Does anyone have any experience with labor costs for that procedure?

Are the KWs better than Bilsteins? Is V1 suffiecient or do I really want the V3? PSS9 or PSS10? This is a street car/daily driver only.

Amar
December 10th, 2011, 02:49
But will Audi agree to fit anything other then DRC?

UrS6
December 10th, 2011, 03:45
But will Audi agree to fit anything other then DRC?
The dealer will. I asked if they would fit H&R springs. They said they would but it would be about $500 extra in labor to do all 4 corners instead of just the 2 they are going to do with the shocks. So I assume they will do the whole thing, too. If they won't I can bring it to an independent.

JSRS6
December 10th, 2011, 03:45
Your only real choices are kw v3, Bilstein pss9, or 2bennett. V1 are only height adjustable. Bilstein didn't make pss10 for us. Only difference is 10 adjustments instead of 9. Hence pss9. 2bennett coilovers are well make, and come preassembled for easy bolt in. Take your pick.

ben916
December 10th, 2011, 03:46
these go to fookin 11!!

JSRS6
December 10th, 2011, 03:46
Oh, and stasis Ohlins. Way too expensive IMHO.

JSRS6
December 10th, 2011, 03:49
Lol Ben. Your rapidly failing drc goes to 11?

ben916
December 10th, 2011, 03:54
Lol Ben. Your rapidly failing drc goes to 11?

http://youtu.be/ll7rWiY5obI

JSRS6
December 10th, 2011, 04:08
I know THAT ben...when are you gonna get your drc replaced???

ben916
December 10th, 2011, 07:13
I know THAT ben...when are you gonna get your drc replaced???

I am calling Raven MS tomorrow to get the ball rolling for some "warranty work/repair/replacement" on the DRC ;)

Amar
December 10th, 2011, 14:07
Swap your springs with this fella.

http://www.audiaddict.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2296

Aronis
December 12th, 2011, 03:07
If one line leaked then the result is the loss of the fluid inside the strut. This will damage the strut's internals and it will fail even if refilled after changing the tubing.

The Central Accumulator MUST be replaced as you will have a loss of system pressure.

When a fitting fails and believe me the fittings are really weak -they can snap off when you try to remove one - you loose an UNMEASURABLE amount of the hydraulic fluid. As a result the pressure in that pair (diagonal pair linked by the central accumulator) will be reduced. The factory spec is 20 bar, minimum is considered 12 bar (big range of 'normal'). If they don't replace with a fully charged accumulator then your system will be out of balance and the driving dynamics will become scary as the car yaws back and forth after hitting a pot hole.

They were supposed to have a new device to allow the shop to safely 'recharge' an accumulator and thus not have to buy a new one ($1800 each), but this is a long shot as few Audi trained mechanics have actually done this.

The biggest problem those of us who had the first DRC failures was the fact that none of the Audi mechanics had a clue how to properly replace a DRC system nonetheless TEST one.

If you want to keep the car long term and drive it reliably GET RID of the DRC.

The KWV3 are about $2500 plus installation. The ride is great and the handling is at least as good as a fully function factory fresh DRC.

If a KW fails you replace ONE.

Mike

UrS6
December 14th, 2011, 23:55
So the dealer said they would put in a coilover system for me and the warranty company said they would pay. Then the dealer called and said that this was all getting too complicated and the valve and hose would still need to be replaced (which it wouldn't) and they weren't comfortable with the whole thing. So I told them I would pick up my car and bring it somewhere else. They called me back and said they could do it but, I had already made other arrangements.

So I dropped my car off at my trusted mechanic and Audi guru today. I am going to get H&R coilovers and I figured if i'm there I should get some Hotchkis bars, and I figured if i'm doing that, i'll have him do a Unitronic flash........so.........i'm excited to get it back.

kday
December 15th, 2011, 02:26
Maybe have them throw in the 6 speed while they're at it? :)

UrS6
December 15th, 2011, 02:48
Maybe have them throw in the 6 speed while they're at it? :)
I'm just waiting on you Kevin. You are the missing link. Marc and I were talking about it today. I have his S4 while he deals with my car.

MaxRS6
December 15th, 2011, 03:35
So the dealer said they would put in a coilover system for me and the warranty company said they would pay. Then the dealer called and said that this was all getting too complicated and the valve and hose would still need to be replaced (which it wouldn't) and they weren't comfortable with the whole thing. So I told them I would pick up my car and bring it somewhere else. They called me back and said they could do it but, I had already made other arrangements.

So I dropped my car off at my trusted mechanic and Audi guru today. I am going to get H&R coilovers and I figured if i'm there I should get some Hotchkis bars, and I figured if i'm doing that, i'll have him do a Unitronic flash........so.........i'm excited to get it back.

Good call and way to handle the crazy dealer! They just lost out on a good amount of service work for being idjuits. Good luck with your repair and I expect you will love the changes..

kday
December 15th, 2011, 04:29
I'm just waiting on you Kevin. You are the missing link.

I've been told that before, but in the context of hominid evolution. /rimshot

Marc and I were talking about it today. I have his S4 while he deals with my car.Ah, cool. Good choice of mechanics!

UrS6
December 16th, 2011, 02:37
Now, after taking my car from the dealer and bringing it to my mechanic (2 hour round trip) they told him they will not allow the installation of a coil over kit as it "significantly alters the original design of the car". (They had previously said I could do it and explained that a significant alteration would be like someone putting a 14" lift kit in their truck)

I called them and explained that not only will this repair cost less than fixing the DRC, and will get them off the hook if it breaks again in the next two years (which it probably will), and that I will absolve them of any future repairs to the suspension. The are holding a hard line and refusing. The guy on the phone said they are well aware of the issues with Audi suspensions. Seems kinda stupid to me.

I'm going to call again in the morning and bitch more and try to strongly suggest that this is a faulty design, as evidenced by Audis recall and the numerous problems. Any suggestions for further action? I'm almost considering telling my mechanic to just put it in and if he gets called on it that I'll reimburse him. But i'd rather just have them agree to fix it properly.

Aronis
December 16th, 2011, 19:35
Find a good independent shop.

You may even find that your Audi tech also runs a "weekend at home shop", mine does.

Some dealers will do that swap without a question. I saw a 1 year old RS6 get lowered springs with the DRC left in place and that was still under new car warrantee.

I did the job myself, it was slow going but if you have the proper tools its not bad.

Mike

MaxRS6
December 16th, 2011, 19:45
Find a good independent shop.

You may even find that your Audi tech also runs a "weekend at home shop", mine does.

Some dealers will do that swap without a question. I saw a 1 year old RS6 get lowered springs with the DRC left in place and that was still under new car warrantee.

I did the job myself, it was slow going but if you have the proper tools its not bad.

Mike

I think URS6 is having trouble with his warranty company approving it. It sounds like he has found an Indy shop to do the work if he can get the warranty company's approval.