PDA

View Full Version : C6 RS6 Carbon Ceramic Rotors Delamination

sallyh
December 9th, 2011, 10:03
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone out there with a C6 and the optional Carbon Ceramic rotors has experienced delamination, particularly on the fronts?

Skaala
December 12th, 2011, 05:29
have 120.000km on front ceramic 420mm rotors on an S8. Absolutely no sign of wear, and defenitely no delamination.

never heard about ceramic brakes delaminating before, didn't think it was possible.

sallyh
December 20th, 2011, 11:41
This is kind of an unusual discussion. Yeah, it, delamination, definately happens. Also to Porsche and Ferrari drivers who take their carbon ceramic brakes to the track. Apparently a total marketing con (which sucked me in). You can drive for yonks on the road (300,000 kms plus) which is kind of cute but is at times is not as good as normal brakiing as per steel discs. So you are left with the wonder of light weight carbon ceramic discs with low unsprung mass which helps you around the corner at the track in a 2.025 tonne car. I had a lot of fun doing this. Which is good but if you use them to haul the car up (as you do at the track), the brakes overheat, the calipers change colour from silver to gold, the wheel weights heat up and fall off. And you destroy your very expensive carbon ceramic rotors through delamination. Which even though you have only one 25,000 kms are not covered by the Audi Warranty despite it being well within the three years.

And I totally love the C6 RS6 and am a woman driver! Anyway, am totally disappointed in Audi, sick and tired of of their hype and false promises. Bring on Porsche!

Anyway, totally over Audi, why anyone would buy an R8 is beyond me.

So, I am buying a Porsche!

Skaala
December 20th, 2011, 14:38
I have tracked the car as well, on the nordschleife. The brakes were smoking after the first laps, burning off dirt and salt from norwegian roads. After that the brakes worked perfectly, and I did not end up wil gold calipers :P

sallyh
December 21st, 2011, 11:14
Hi Skaala

Well, you would think the nordscheife would find any problems, so it is great to know that your brakes worked perfectly. Anyway, best wishes with yours and keep enjoying it! I am looking into replacement steel rotors. Have decided that I still love the RS6 (although perhaps not Audi Australia).