PDA

View Full Version : Replace gearbox without engine out.

kilian tuning
December 6th, 2011, 09:34
Ive heard lots of stories about getting the gearbox out without removing the engine, but for some reason, no one can tell how...they dont want to tell the secret? so there must be a step by step guid how to...

vikingrs6
December 6th, 2011, 10:43
I have seen the process described on an RS6 site, sure it was on here - have you done a search?.. Will have a look later and post back if I find it..

The RS6
December 6th, 2011, 12:11
Try asking Ken

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22631-Manual-Conversion-Thread-RS6-with-01E

"First off, I can attest that the RS6 slushbox can be removed without pulling the motor. I've done it at a leisurely pace over the last few days with the car on stands. No lift. It wasn't fun, but it can be done."

SteveKen
December 6th, 2011, 14:39
Try asking Steve

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22631-Manual-Conversion-Thread-RS6-with-01E

"First off, I can attest that the RS6 slushbox can be removed without pulling the motor. I've done it at a leisurely pace over the last few days with the car on stands. No lift. It wasn't fun, but it can be done."

Feel free to PM me on this. It's not easy, but it can be done.

yokust
December 6th, 2011, 20:49
I personally think its alot harder work, but yes it can be done.

You need to support the motor with a very strong brace due to weight.
Remove subframe completely from vehicle
Remove downpipes
Lower motor so that the Pass turbo bolts can be removed
Remove turbo oil lines and coolant fittings once top turbo bolts are removed
Once turbo is removed is nothing different then any 2.7t or 4.2 n/a motor trans removal

ben916
December 6th, 2011, 22:17
Yokust, SteveKen, Pat and Tozo have all done it... ^^THIS^^

yokust
December 7th, 2011, 00:43
Like Ive said before though, I have done it twice. And will not do it that way anymore.

I personally think it only saves a few hours at best, and is much harder work. And there is so many things on these cars that you HAVE to remove motor to work on, and it never fails when doing a trans/tc you will find something once the trans is out that is leaking or on its way out. And you are back to the original boat of pulling motor

But as always, to each there own.