PDA

View Full Version : Question about S-Tronic gearboxes

tailpipe
December 5th, 2011, 21:27
Guys,

My RS3 is the first car i've owned with an automatic / S-Tronic box. Having had one such S-Trinic box go down on me, I'm keen to make sure that my driving style doesn't in any way have a detrimental effect on the gearbox of my second RS3.

I should point out that I am not a hooligan behind the wheel. I drive in a sane and sensible manner 99.9% of the time (because I'm married with kids and live in a European capital city). Only occasionally, when alone on an empty B-road, do I let my hair down, so to speak.

What advice can the technical experts on RS6.com give me about driving cars fitted with S-Tronic gearboxes. In particular, does anyone know what happens when you brake to a stop. Does the gearbox select a neutral mode until you lift your foot off the brake? Or is it simply a power struggle between first gear and the foot brake?

If there is no automatic selection of neutral, and you ride the brake - as you do in slow moving traffic - is there a chance of frying the clutch? As a precaution, I put the car into neutral when I stop for more than 2-3 seconds. but is there anything else I need to do to look after the gearbox.

It would be very helpful to have the benefit of an expert opinion and any advice on what to do and what not to do.

(Qisha a your thoughts would be great.)

thanks.

Moschops
December 6th, 2011, 21:57
Hi TP,

Never been told how drive a DSG/S-tronic car, so I just drive it as I would a manual. Although like you I do occasionally pop into neutral if O know I'm going to be stopped/standing a while. Otherwise just sit with the foot on the brake. :revs:

No idea what happens inside the box when the car comes to a stop, I guess soemthing must tell it your slowing and the gears dis-engage floating round to be re-engaged at a mircro seconds notice...ready for the traffic light GP...:race:

Only real thing that I don't like is the box learns your driving style, so every now and again, go and give the car some beans...:idea:

HTH

Cheers

Wayne

PS, my Suzuka Grey car has now finally been confirmed at the factory....:mech: Now idea on when it will arrive. The otherhalfs A1 BE will arrive before it...:love:

Qisha
December 7th, 2011, 09:53
Dear tailpipe,

as i a little short on time, please admit a quick reply:

What happens when the car is stopped, engine running:

Position P or N: 1st gear and reverse are engaged. -> to allow immediate driveaway f.e. from a standing stop. Forward AND reverse gear are already preselected.

Is there anything else I need to do to look after the gearbox?

During all driving conditions NO, except for towing. (1. Lever in position "N", 2. max. towing speed 50 km/h!, 3. max. towing distance 50 km!) |WHY? Oilpump is not driven leading to insufficient lubrication. 50 km/h is the max. speed because of the high rotational speeds within the gearbox <one gear is always preselected in BOTH sub gearboxes!>

The Gearbox as well as the clutch unit both are covered by fault protection through the TCU unit. (temperature level, oil level, pressure etc.)

You might want to watch this info video: (low quality but to name the basics)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs4wiWXH4Lk

Hope this helps and if you do have specific questions, please ask.

Qisha

tailpipe
December 7th, 2011, 20:44
Qisha,

Thank you for that. Very interesting. If you see the guys who developed the RS3, please say 'thank you' from me. I love it. Truly amazing, both engine and gearbox.