PDA

View Full Version : Does sport mode change anything other than shift points?

Chung
December 3rd, 2011, 04:15
I am curious if sport mode changes the throttle response or anything else.

SzymekCRX
December 3rd, 2011, 10:44
Good question, because I noticed that 0-60 at 'S' is more agressive... It should only change TCU map though...

Maybe it's some kind of placebo only :)

kismetcapitan
December 3rd, 2011, 20:02
I've also wondered about it changing the throttle mapping and/or boost control; it does seem more aggressive with the same throttle inputs.

Brav
December 3rd, 2011, 21:48
99% sure its shift points only..

speedtrapped
December 3rd, 2011, 21:56
I know not apples to apples, but my V auto has torque limiters programmed in. When I staged 2 the car, the shop also tuned the transmission so when in sport the TQ limiters are removed....the car explodes in Sport.

ttboost
December 4th, 2011, 22:02
To me it seems like another actual gear? When you pull it back into "S" while you are driving (holding a steady throttle), you gain RPM, doing NOTHING else. It seems to shift at the same time to me, even with the MTM chip?

Aronis
December 5th, 2011, 00:52
You "gain" RPM? Sounds like your torque converter is unlocking when you switch to sport.

Check codes with vag com

Mike

kismetcapitan
December 5th, 2011, 00:59
it just puts you in a lower gear, which raises your RPM relative to your speed. Upshift with the paddle and the RPMs will drop right back down.

ttboost
December 5th, 2011, 01:02
it just puts you in a lower gear, which raises your RPM relative to your speed. Upshift with the paddle and the RPMs will drop right back down.

Basically yeah...If I'm cruising at 2000rpm and pull it back into "S", it cranks up another 500rpm or so... and is much more responsive...

4everRS
December 5th, 2011, 01:20
its just changing gear not?

SAF
December 5th, 2011, 02:26
Drive with paddles all the time and achieve the same thing by shifting at higher RPMs than regular drive mode in automatic.

V8weight
December 5th, 2011, 04:02
I know in the S4 it changes the throttle adaption and the timing....never logged the difference in timing and throttle angle in the RS6....somebody should get on it!

SAF
December 5th, 2011, 14:26
I'll run some seat-of-the-pants tests today and LYK. ;)