PDA

View Full Version : RS6 squeaking from rear

PixieVC
December 1st, 2011, 18:18
I have two interior squeaks. One is definitively diagnosed - as the HVAC fan that sits up front under the glovebox. I know what the fix for that is - either get a new fan, or clean it out. Either way, it's a minor issue that's under control.

The real one that's driving me absolutely batty is a squeal/squeak from the rear - sounds remarkably similar to the HVAC fan, but it is definitely coming from the rear seat/trunk area. I haven't been able to localize it further, but I am at a loss as to what the cause might be.

My car has some strange passive cooling option with a solar panel integrated into the sunroof - does anyone know if this system has a fan located in the rear area of the car that might potentially be making this noise?

Thanks in advance.

lswing
December 1st, 2011, 18:57
That's the warm weather package, one of the standard options, really like it in the summer here myself, don't notice it otherwise. Do you have the power rear sunshade also? Not sure about the other noises, I've got a little clicking/creak by my sunroof...

Oh yea, is there a fan on the Bose sub? Passenger side trunk compartment.

ben916
December 1st, 2011, 20:47
is it interior or exterior? (not gonna assume anything)

My fuel pump makes a very high pitched sound, but not all the time (regardless of fuel level)
Also under the rear seats is all the fuel system/fuel tank/fuel sender/fuel etc.

No fan for the warm weather package in the rear, only slightly powers fans to circulate air via cabin air filter.
I haven't experimented with closing vents and the like.

PixieVC
December 1st, 2011, 22:03
Re: Interior/Exterior: that's a good question. I believe it's interior. It only occurs in the morning at cold start, when the interior of the car is cold - below 50 degrees. I'll see if I can make a recording of the sound with my phone tomorrow morning to isolate it. It sounds similar to the squeaky blower fan, but unlike the blower, which is intermittent - this sound is a constant high pitched squeak-squeak-squeak, and appears to be at a faster rate than the spinning HVAC fan noise which is most definitely up front.

One of you mentioned a subwoofer and a cooling fan - is there any merit to this before I expend the effort to dig into my trunk? I'd rather not bother with a wild goose chase if it can be avoided. :)

hahnmgh63
December 1st, 2011, 23:03
Also check the spare tire to make sure the hold down bolt is tight. If it's loose it can make a squeaking sound.

PixieVC
December 6th, 2011, 21:34
Hi everyone: I've managed to isolate the sound. It's coming from the rear shelf. If I hit the shelf with my hand I can cause it to squeak and make noise - but I haven't seen anything obviously loose or otherwise unbolted. I had a thought that it might have something to do with the power rear sunshade, but it makes no difference in the sound whether it is deployed or retracted.

I need to get to te bottom of this - has anyone gotten into the rear shelf before, are there any useful tips on what tools I'll need to get in there? The squeak almost ruins the car... incessant squeaky rattles that just NEVER GO AWAY! GRRARGH! But at least I know where it's coming from, now...

speedtrapped
December 6th, 2011, 22:02
:hey: U could just crank up the stereo!,

PixieVC
December 6th, 2011, 22:15
:hey: U could just crank up the stereo!,

Yeah I could but then I'd be depriving myself of the best sound track of all - the exhaust note.

ben916
December 6th, 2011, 22:22
Put the rear seats down,
Place hubby in the trunk/rear seat area,
You drive FAST (since you DO have thee fastest color that Audi makes in RS6) or normal speed, whichever suits your fancy,
He listens for mice in/on rear deck.
Isolate issue.

This is what I would do, except the hubby part and no my wife wouldn't help or do it... :)

PixieVC
December 7th, 2011, 03:31
Problem tentatively solved... we'll know for sure tomorrow morning when commute time arrives!

Hubby and myself dug into the trunk and rear seat area to find out what was causing the incessant fsking rattle that just would NOT go away. We folded down the rear seats for the first time since getting the car and at first glance there didn't appear to be anything in there - but there was this flap of paper. Reached in, fished it out, and it's one of the most heartwarming mother's day cards I've ever seen and read... and there's something else back there... a dog leash, or handbag strap, I'm not sure which (one too cutesy for me, even) came out immediately afterwards. We decided to feel around some more - and the culprit of the noise, I believe - was this odd half-sphere of plastic which rattled against the metal as it came out, and has quite an interesting harmonic to it when dropped on concrete...

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6089/rs6debris.jpg

Let's hope that took care of it...

PixieVC
December 7th, 2011, 16:09
Update: No joy. The rattle is there, and as persistent as ever... we did however isolate the source. Just a question now of what to do about it.

The source: Unknown 100%, but it is coming from behind the trunk cover on the left hand side: http://i44.tinypic.com/25qr68y.jpg . I pried off the plastic grille and looked around inside with a flashlight. There's a wiring harness that runs through - my guess is for the nav system. Some plastic bits, some foam bits. I reached around as far as I could to touch whatever was in there, and nothing seemed loose or otherwise 'wrong'.

The sound itself can be triggered by touching the cover itself - which leads me to think it might be caused by one of the plastic mounting tabs for the piece. I am not sure how to go about testing that theory. Are there any suggestions anyone has for taking the cover off, and exposing the metalwork, plastic, and wiring beneath? The plastic mounts for the cover are very firmly stuck in. Am I correct to assume that they break, and replacements must be sourced from the dealer? Sort of like one-time-use type things? I intend to pull the cover off tonight, come hell or high water. This problem will be solved.

kday
December 7th, 2011, 17:13
Those plastic fasteners -- if they are anything like the ones on other cars I've seen, anyway -- are most easily removed with a forked tool that I've heard referred to as a "spudge". They can be reused unless they are brittle with age. I was able to reuse 90% of the similar clips on my 1990 Miata, even the ones exposed to years of UV, so most likely it won't be a problem on the RS6 (Mazda uses really cheap plastic too, unlike Audi.)

I have a set of these tools from Harbor Freight that work well for this kind of thing: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-nylon-pry-bar-installer-kit-95214.html

MaxRS6
December 7th, 2011, 17:14
Dang- I was hoping you had resolved it. I feel ya pain and these issues can be a bear to resolve. I hope it isn't a dead hooker's jewelry as it was in my case last time.

Good luck with the hunt!

PixieVC
December 8th, 2011, 16:46
It is fixed, and confirmed fixed!

Here's a photo of the offending component:

http://i44.tinypic.com/11qojfc.jpg

This is actually not behind the cover that I wanted to try removing - it is in the panel that can be removed to change the Navigation CD, as well as where the jack and such is kept. In that compartment, there is a metal brace - and some sort of brace mounted behind what is readily accessible. There are two hooks for the metal brace - the one photographed, and making noise, was the rearmost. Mounted to it is some sort of electronic component - based on the types of wires/leads running into it, general size, location, etc - my guess is that it's the GPS receiver with the antenna line-in and the data cable out to the nav computer.

At any rate, touching the module would trigger the squeak. After several minutes, we were able to ascertain that the squeak was metal on metal rubbing from the clip. Solution? Some gooey plastic based glue. Glue the whole thing up, make sure the plastic gets in there - so even if it keeps rubbing, the sound is diminished. Not a peep from it all morning on my commute. Life is good again!

Now I just need to get my rapidly deteriorating CV joint/axle fixed...

ben916
December 8th, 2011, 17:38
Stop jumping your BEASTIE like "Streets of San Francisco", "Bullitt" or "The Dukes of Hazzard" - you will be fine... ;)

vitalian
December 8th, 2011, 20:16
^^LOL, Ben!

Pixie, I'm glad you pinpointed and solved the problem! There is nothing more insanity-inducing than having some random squeak/rattle/buzz/whine/whistle/click that you can't find and can't fix!

Elevens
December 8th, 2011, 20:27
You are a determined man Pixie. Nice Fix. And by the way those Trunk liner Clips are 2 pieces. One slides into the other. Pull on the outer piece and the whole Clip should slip out and can be reused. That's how mine are any way...............................

JSRS6
December 8th, 2011, 21:24
You are a determined man Pixie. Nice Fix. And by the way those Trunk liner Clips are 2 pieces. One slides into the other. Pull on the outer piece and the whole Clip should slip out and can be reused. That's how mine are any way...............................

Wo man, lol

ben916
December 8th, 2011, 23:13
Wo man, lol

You are correct!

Elevens
December 9th, 2011, 05:10
wo man, lol

oops !!!