PDA

View Full Version : Vegas to LA drive

Amar
December 1st, 2011, 01:35
Guys, I'm flying in to Vegas from JFK on the 22nd Dec I want to leave for LA at around 11 AM with an aim to get there for around 5 PM. I plan to get back to Vegas again for around 10 PM the next day. I thought it would be cool to hire a Mustang convertible (the only sort of exciting car I've been offered) and do the drive as I don't check into my hotel in Vegas until the 23rd.

Anyone dunnit'? Dos and donts are welcome, and am I mad for attempting to do this over the holiday season? I flew from LA to Vegas last year and wanted to drive for a change. Thanks in advance for any tips.

ben916
December 7th, 2011, 04:28
Great to have you coming to the US!

Do you want to bring some C5 RS6 Recaros with you? :)

Anyway, the minimum age for renting a vehicle is 25yo.
More than likely the car type you are renting is a convertible and if there happens to be a Mustang available, they will offer that to you.
I wouldn't expect a 5.0 GT nor do I think any of the big companies offer them (Hertz, Avis, National, Alamo, etc)

The drive from Vegas to LA, depending on the day of the week, should be around 4-5 hrs.
Plan on stopping at Barstow for a break and gas.
Basically it is I-15 south to the I-10 West - directly to Santa Monica and the ocean.
Expect HEAVY traffic on I-10 both ways...
If the car rental company offers a GPS, take it.
I would refrain from speeding as Nevada/California highway patrol LOVE to snag a tourist for speeding and the fines can be steep!
They also use planes on sections of road to mathematically time your rate between on post to the next.

Make sure you stop at Baker, CA and take a photo next to the world's largest thermometer as that is the entrance towards DEATH VALLEY!

You will and should be patient on the exit out of LA to return to Vegas as that is a holiday weekend and most people will be off that Friday and driving on that Thursday. If you leave LA early enough, you should be fine.

Enjoy the drive!

Amar
December 7th, 2011, 18:55
Thanks for such a helpful write up Ben, it is very much appreciated. I travel to the USA every year, last year I did New York, Vegas and LA and am doing the same again this year. I will need to visit different parts next year!
Regarding the car hire, I am actually under 25 however Thrifty have allowed me to hire the Mustang convertible but I will be charged a $25 a day supplement fee as I am under 25. I went for the top level of insurance with GPS and a tank of fuel.
I had a meeting with the account manager for Almao the day after I had booked the Thrifty car as our company have a contract witht them to supply cars to our customers who holiday in the US and he said he could have got me a really good deal with more notice next time, Doh!
Tell me Ben, what is so special at Baker? I am planning to stop there. I will be driving into LA on the Thursday but as I need to be back in Vegas on Friday (two days before christmas) I have chosen to get a late flight instead. Although I'd love to be able to bring the recaros across it is about as realistic as me taking home a tank of premuim fuel! If there is anything small that I can get in my suitcase and that customs won't pick up on, I will happily bring it across then post it when over in the US to help save you guys on shipping costs, just let me know.

ben916
December 7th, 2011, 22:00
Nothing really special about Baker, just one of those bucketlist kind of things to say "yeah I been there..."
Baker is the entrance into DEATH VALLEY and during the summer is routinely well over 100 degrees.
DEATH VALLEY is below sea level...

I would probably post in the Regular forum for little items to bring from the UK to Stateside...

Benman
December 9th, 2011, 00:06
Nothing really special about Baker, just one of those bucketlist kind of things to say "yeah I been there..."
To add to that, stop at the Greek place (only one in town) on the right hand side. The BEST strawberry milkshakes! :cheers:

Amar
December 9th, 2011, 13:29
I don't like strawberries!! I'm going to stop in Baker, looking forward to this. I'd imagine I'm going to be really disappointed with the Mustang.

ben916
December 9th, 2011, 15:33
I don't like strawberries!! I'm going to stop in Baker, looking forward to this. I'd imagine I'm going to be really disappointed with the Mustang.

Don't forget the In-N-Out Burger at Barstow!
Yeah, it will not compare to the Beast...