PDA

View Full Version : 2011 rns-e

zawa
November 30th, 2011, 19:03
Hi guys

Wonder if there is interest in BRAND NEW 2011 RNS-E(s) (newest updated models) with:

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 271.55pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt" class=MsoNormalTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=362><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #f0f0f0; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 271.55pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in" width=362 noWrap>-Original PIN CARD and Serial Number label

-A6 faceplate and proper coding !<O:p</O:p

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 1"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #f0f0f0; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 271.55pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in" width=362 noWrap>-Original printed manual<O:p</O:p

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 4.35pt; mso-yfti-irow: 2; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #f0f0f0; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 271.55pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 4.35pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in" width=362 noWrap>-Bose/Non-Bose harness, adapter, GPS antenna, removal keys</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

for more info on features and if interested please email me: neozawa at gmail dot com Plese add your forum nick when responding.

PS. I also have SAT modules for RNS-E and BT modules for RNS-E

http://forums.quattroworld.com/allroad/msgs/84811.phtml

ben916
November 30th, 2011, 19:21
Sorry Zawa, I didn't get back to you about this...
I am going to have to pass this time...

zawa
November 30th, 2011, 19:25
No problem, actually one unit is about to be shipped to CA :-)

Brav
November 30th, 2011, 19:31
email sent.

zawa
November 30th, 2011, 20:21
email back

Cochese
December 24th, 2011, 20:02
Wow, quattroworld gives me a headache. What the hell do they use that threaded forum style for?

What are you charging?

I have a RNS-E in my allroad I was planning to swap into my RS6 but if you have them priced decently, I may be interested!

Also, what is the cost for the Sirius and/or BT modules? Do these A2DP?

Thanks!

ntrcptr
December 25th, 2011, 13:56
What are you charging?

pm

zawa
December 25th, 2011, 14:59
PM sent to both. Please contact back via provided email

hahnmgh63
December 25th, 2011, 17:48
Zawa, question is will the new RNS-E work in a C5 body just like the old one? Will it still take a GALA signal for motion or does it get it's speed signal over CAN?

zawa
December 25th, 2011, 18:56
YES, it does work in c5 platform !!! seen attached pic in my allroad (c5) platform in the very first post?

I sell complete sets with everything(faceplate included), coded to your needs (car model, hardware options).

Again please use provided email for more details.

A

streetsoffire
December 26th, 2011, 03:48
I have seen that thing in zawa's Allroad....... It's gorgeous with a factory fit.......

Edit: yeah, that pic he posted is from his Allroad.

ben916
January 10th, 2012, 01:03
Pokeity Poke...

Still available?

Tom Sawyer
March 2nd, 2012, 03:27
I posted this review on the site I learned about a GB on, but wanted to share with my RS 6 friends my experince with Zawa and a little info on how the install went. I had an '06 RNS-E unit in my B6 S4 years ago and it was nice, but the new 2011 is SO much nicer. More responsive, ridiculous amount of music on dual 32gb SD Cards, gorgeous screen. I'm a happy camper, and as I mention below, there is NO doubt that Zawa knows what he's doing with getting the 2011's working on the C5 platform.

I have been selling and buying on eBay since 1999 (1400+ 100% positive feedback) and have had countless transactions on various 'enthusiast' forums ranging from of course Audi forums to Mac forums as well as Photography and PC stuff. I have always prided myself at approaching my transactions in a simple matter: treat people buying my gear like I would want to be treated.

The bottom line is that Zawa truly raises the bar on trading online. Again, I have bought a lot of things on the bay including my previous Audi, a 2004 S4 so I have a lot of experience with Internet based transactions. I simply could not be happier with how I was treated by Zawa. Always a fast response, patient with my questions, and very proactive in letting me know the status of the transaction. Add on to that over the top packaging to make sure that it arrived safely and he charged me the exact shipping cost.

I feel like I've got a special setup for a special car, and that just rocks. Adam, again many thanks for all you did in our trade. I hope we can trade again soon.

Here are a few pics of my install. Nothing new, but FWIW, I chose not to install the GALA lead and the unit updates perfectly. Took maybe 15 minutes to 'adapt' to the car, and refreshes were quick. Because I didn't remove the cluster for GALA, I ended up dropping the glove box (very easy) and found a sweet spot for the GPS antenna that put the magnet on solid metal and tightly wedged it inbetween the metal beam and the underside of the dash. I get 6+ sats at all times. I've not fully seated the unit yet as I'm working on getting a line in plug, the unit came coded with Line In enabled.

For any doubters out there, there is NO question that Zawa knows how to code a 2011 RNS-E for the A6 platform.

Anyone considering dropping a fair chunk of change for an RNS-E setup should not hesitate to do business with Zawa!

And now, some pics:

kday
March 2nd, 2012, 13:34
Neat. For what it's worth, if you're behind the glovebox already, instead of using the add-on GPS antenna you can remove the defunct On-star unit and use its antenna lead for the head unit. That's what I did. I also skipped the GALA wire with my first gen RNS-E and it works well enough.

Tom Sawyer
March 2nd, 2012, 14:08
Neat. For what it's worth, if you're behind the glovebox already, instead of using the add-on GPS antenna you can remove the defunct On-star unit and use its antenna lead for the head unit. That's what I did. I also skipped the GALA wire with my first gen RNS-E and it works well enough.

Absolutely... I'm planning on replacing the OnStar module with the Audi BT module and will definitely grab the Sat antenna from that spot. I assume I'll need an extension cable..? Looks like I need to code for DIS nav info but my car was non-nav so no surprise there.

Played with the nav a bit this morning on the drive to work and the voice actually prompted me for TMC traffic conditions... "attention, traffic congestion ahead in 2 miles" type thing. Very cool...

kday
March 2nd, 2012, 16:37
Yeah, you'll need an extension cable. Just a couple feet.

Traffic notification sounds cool. I'm a little jealous :)

I used the old onstar bracket to mount the BT module, with the addition of some thin aluminum and foam tape:

http://blog.ultrameta.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/btbracket-e1330707308397.jpg

Edited to add: I actually find the DIS nav display kind of annoying. I want to code it out. It is the default display so I have to toggle back to the normal display whenever I'm not using nav (which is almost always). Plus it bugs me that it displays the compass heading, since that's redundant with the rearview mirror.

zawa
March 2nd, 2012, 16:43
http://forums.quattroworld.com/classifieds-parts/msgs/21083.phtml

Tom, pics in action please :-)

Aronis
March 2nd, 2012, 17:23
Hi,

Could you please give some more info on the use of the "OnStar" units Antenna? What kind of Antenna are you talking about? The OnStar is a cellular network device? NO? Does it also use a satellite antenna???

Also, what connectors are needed for that extension?

Thank you,

Mike

ben916
March 2nd, 2012, 17:39
Absolutely... I'm planning on replacing the OnStar module with the Audi BT module and will definitely grab the Sat antenna from that spot. I assume I'll need an extension cable..? Looks like I need to code for DIS nav info but my car was non-nav so no surprise there.

Played with the nav a bit this morning on the drive to work and the voice actually prompted me for TMC traffic conditions... "attention, traffic congestion ahead in 2 miles" type thing. Very cool...

Tom, why does it look like it isn't sitting flush with the climate controls? or are you just working on it still?

kday
March 2nd, 2012, 21:08
The OnStar unit uses two antennas: one for the cellular network and one for GPS. The GPS antenna can be reused for the RNS-E.

The extension cable needs FAKRA connectors. I think you need a cable with one male end and one female end, but I don't recall exactly.

zawa
March 2nd, 2012, 21:15
That is very good question for Tom....Tom push it in !...unless you plan or working on it. Still if you accelerate harder your new unit may end up on the back seat ! so for now...push it in until it clicks...you got removal keys after all :-)

hahnmgh63
March 3rd, 2012, 00:04
Kday, when I junked my Onstar module I was able to pull the GPS antenna out from the wiring harness back to just about abeam the center console and got it to stretch just enough to connect directly to my RNS-E unit without an extension, it was tight but just fit. To my dismay though, seems like the Sharkfin antenna reception is identical to the magnetic stickon one I was running behind the instrument cluster, both great signals so I don't know what I was hoping for actually, I did get rid of at least one or two ounces of weight right???

04rs6cdn
March 3rd, 2012, 00:54
Zawa, pls send cost etc details to me thanks....Ken

Tom Sawyer
March 4th, 2012, 20:21
Kday, when I junked my Onstar module I was able to pull the GPS antenna out from the wiring harness back to just about abeam the center console and got it to stretch just enough to connect directly to my RNS-E unit without an extension, it was tight but just fit. To my dismay though, seems like the Sharkfin antenna reception is identical to the magnetic stickon one I was running behind the instrument cluster, both great signals so I don't know what I was hoping for actually, I did get rid of at least one or two ounces of weight right???

I was thinking that might end up being the result... I'm 7 or 8 sats at all times. I doubt the fin would do much better. Of course, that weight savings has to add up to some power gain, great point! ;-)

I like the idea of a little cleaner setup, but then how much am I behind my dash.

Definitely not pushed all the way in in the pics. I'm going to be back in there in the very near future with adding a line in harness so figured I'd just not fully seat it, but good point on the acceleration! See, just not used to having all that power... my previous ride (admittedly an in-between beater car) couldn't get out of it's own way!

I did find this extension cable, I think the length would be about right:

Fakra Extension Cable (http://www.ebay.com/itm/TYCO-Radio-IF-FAKRA-Male-to-Female-GPS-Extension-Cable-/280626663049?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4156a70e89#ht_2303wt_1398)

So that should be enough length... good to know there is GPS antenna specifically. Is it fairly obvious which one is GPS and which is cell?

Anyway, still churning on which way to go with the BT solution. With not having a MFSW, answering and placing calls will be less convenient.

kday
March 4th, 2012, 20:51
I don't remember having any confusion over which antenna lead was for the GPS. I think they are different colors, or marked in some obvious way.

Regarding BT -- out of the box it seems to be set up to answer automatically. At least that's the way mine is, and once I got used to it I found it convenient. What is definitely not convenient is scrolling through the directory to make outbound calls. It's quicker to just take the phone out of my pocket and use the directory there.

Tom Sawyer
March 6th, 2012, 00:49
Just 'finished' my install... had been having kind of odd audio, music didn't attenuate when the nav voice came on, volume was a bit high when turned all the way down and then back up 1 notch. Plus wanted to axe the unused 4th connector for non-bose. Got to looking at the pinout chart and as it turns out the bose wire was not moved from pin 3 to pin 7 on the B connector. So, swapped that over and she sounds even better and is acting right. I had an inkling that might have been the case with a speaker code I was getting. I recall doing the same way back when I did and RNS-E retrofit into my B6 S4. Anyway, unit fully seated and looks absolutely amazing. I'll post an 'in action' shot tomorrow.

I'll have to pull it back out when I do the line in harness (bit of a pain because it's a TIGHT fit) but better safe than sorry. It would be a shame if I missed out on a kill because I was worried about my RNS-E flying out of the dash!! :lovl:

Chung
March 6th, 2012, 04:09
I really want to see photos of these. So tempting to get one.

I joke with my friends that when you go WOT you better batten down the hatches. We just instituded tolling here in WA and I didn't want to stick anything to my windshield. My plan was to hold the pass up as I go under the reader. First thing I do is floor it onto an on ramp and the pass flies to the back seat...

Tom Sawyer
March 6th, 2012, 11:52
I really want to see photos of these. So tempting to get one.

I joke with my friends that when you go WOT you better batten down the hatches. We just instituded tolling here in WA and I didn't want to stick anything to my windshield. My plan was to hold the pass up as I go under the reader. First thing I do is floor it onto an on ramp and the pass flies to the back seat...

Tons of pics here: 2011 RNS-E FS Thread (http://forums.quattroworld.com/classifieds-parts/msgs/21083.phtml)

ben916
August 3rd, 2012, 19:02
Zawa,

How does this integrate into the RNS-E or does it even?
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/497250-OEMplus-Rear-View-Camera-Special

zawa
August 3rd, 2012, 19:14
Dont really know about anybody paired new gen RNS-E with camera. You see the price of the camera set and know why not many want to take risk and try it...especially that yo can not return it.
Same with AMI to be honest.

ben916
August 3rd, 2012, 19:33
Dont really know about anybody paired new gen RNS-E with camera. You see the price of the camera set and know why not many want to take risk and try it...especially that yo can not return it.
Same with AMI to be honest.

I did see a write up on an A8 that had the RNS-E installed (unsure of the generation) and a generic camera that was connected directly to the wiring harness and then coded via VAGCOM to use "Lamborghini mode" to use the camera when shifting into reverse.

zawa
August 3rd, 2012, 19:38
Send me the link and I will tell you which gen it is. Yes ihad been done with old generation but never heard of new one. Would be nice to try :-)