PDA

View Full Version : Been thinking about getting an RS6 for 4 years now, but have questions...

jman995x
November 30th, 2011, 18:58
Hello All,

I'm new to the board, but not new to the RS6...I've been a fan for years.
My current car is slowly riding off into the sunset (228K miles), and so I'm looking at new(er) cars.
I've always wanted an RS6, but have some questions from current owners about their experiences.

1. My father always used to say that he wouldn't buy a car with Turbo(s) because they only last about 30K miles and then you have to pay a fortune to replace them. Now, granted, my father is in his late 60's and when he was hot-rodding and turbos were relatively rare on cars, that might have been true. However, I'm seeing used RS6's with 100K miles+++ on them and no mention of Turbo rework or replacement. What's the forum's general opinion on how long the Turbos last on an RS6 (everything from grandma who never puts her foot down...to the guy who does brakestands in his driveway)?

2. If I'm buying a used RS6, what should be replaced at what mileage? I'm seeing some out there currently in the 30K mile range that haven't had anything done but tires and brakes....I'm seeing some in the 60-70K mile range that have had Torque Converters, Turbo Hoses and possibly a Timing Belt replaced. So, are there any "Rules of Thumb" for when things start needing replacement on an RS6? From the forum people that currently own an RS6, if YOU were to buy a used RS6, knowing what you know and having replaced what you've replaced on your own RS6, is there anything that you'd make sure was replaced before YOU'd buy a used RS6?

3. I've seen some nice RS6's that people have modded and have questions about chipping. If you do some modding and chipping to the engine to increase performance and horsepower, are you shortening the life of the engine...or are you just de-regulating the restrictions the factory put on the engine and giving the engine full access to all of its potential doesn't shorten the life of the engine negligibly (or at all)?

4. If I do decide to get an RS6 and decide to mod and chip it, what threads/articles/websites/companies would the forum recommend? Granted, I'm not a fulltime gearhead and don't think about RS6's all day (well,....close)...I have a lot of other stuff going on in my life....However, I LOVE cars and I LOVE computers, so I probably won't be able to sit still for very long with a stock RS6 in the garage.

5. How do RS6's stand up to rust? I'm seeing some used RS6's from places that have bad winters and salty roads (Boston, Chicago, etc.) and want to make sure that RS6's aren't notorious for rusting out anywhere?

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as I delve deeper into the RS6 world, but wanted to get my feet wet with a couple of basics.

Thanks,

Justin

Brav
November 30th, 2011, 19:47
This is one of those things that gets asked a lot.. but I will only get snippy once. SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND!!

but the search feature sucks.. so use google site search, and these things have been discussed to no end.

Each RS6 is as individual as the owners.. some have problems, some dont, so there is no clear point as to when to replace broken items. Common to fail: Torque converter, DRC. DRC almost bet my life on it. TC, could last a long time. Hit or miss..

You will find info about timing belts, which can vary a lot. Its up to you. The maintenance is similar to any other high performance car.. just change the oil at 5k intervals max. You will need a slush fund for random things breaking every now and then.

Jimmy
November 30th, 2011, 20:28
Nothing really to worry about in the rust department...modern Audi's are very well made in this regard.

For mods...depends on your wallet I guess....the easiest and cheapest is a 'stage 1'-type of chip tune for the ECU and TCU, maybe 6-800$ which puts the car well over 500hp and torque while keeping its driveability.

Some good advice is too drive as many cars as you can...they will speak to you, communicating their willingness to run fast or a cry for $$$ maintenance. If you are a car guy you'll know a good car after a drive in one. Look for spilt CV boots and oil leaks, especially on the shocks if it has the DRC still. One with an upgraded torque converter and replaced (or fixed) DRC are prolly the big tickets items to look for being done.

Good luck ...these are great cars !