PDA

View Full Version : KW V3 question - about to raise the car for winter...do I need to get an alignment?

bakes
November 30th, 2011, 15:49
Winters here bring some deeper snow and I don't want to be the local plow. Given that, I want to try to raise the car by at least an inch if possible or more. Does anyone know the safe limit I can raise the car or is that a subjective thing?

Do I need to get an alignment done afterwards?

Winter tires are going on this weekend so while they are off I plan to raise the car. Since this is my first time doing this, what direction do I spin the bracket that controls the height? Clockwise or counter clockwise?

Thanks in advance!

Greg

JSRS6
November 30th, 2011, 17:03
Righty tighty, or up. You have pics of your current ride height? I drove through 2-3ft of fresh snow regularly last winter with my car still lowered. IMO, an inch isn't gonna save you in deep snow. On the other hand, if you are really low, an inch and a half or 2 would do well, but would require an alignment. Iirc, headshots car had a good stance.

SzymekCRX
November 30th, 2011, 17:46
JSRS6, are You sure he'd need an aligment ? Is lowering changing anything ? I don't think so...

JSRS6
November 30th, 2011, 18:00
Raising and lowering changes camber and toe, so I'd say yes.

Brav
November 30th, 2011, 19:43
Short, correct answer is yes.. think of it as 70 bucks to save your 1000 dollar tires..

Aronis
December 1st, 2011, 03:32
I had my alignment checked after lowering my car with the KW, and my alignment was very close to spec even lowered. The only item which could not be brought in was the camber. So, having the car aligned after changing your snow tires AND raising it would not be of any value unless you have aftermarket control arms which allow the camber to be changed. The stock setup does not allow any change in camber.

I put my snows on two weeks ago. The Dunlop Winter M3s are taller than the Michelin PS2's so I get tire rub in the front just like when the car was DRC new. The lowered suspension did not change this much. I am not even certain what is rubbing, but I suspect it's the upper control arms. Some day I'll take the time to chalk up those areas to see. I cannot find any scuffs on the tires or bear metal else where after 8 years of winter driving.

The front does rub more now with it lowered when I pull into a high driveway, this is a little worse with the snows, but I'm not going to bother adjusting the height.

If I recall its about 5 turns to equal a centimeter of height, so about 13 for an inch.

My camber is -2 07" on left and -1 53" on right.

Mike