PDA

View Full Version : One week of ownership down...

PixieVC
November 29th, 2011, 17:06
Well, I've had it a week now - been using it as my everyday beater for that time, and I have come up with a list of everything wrong/broken/not quite right.

1. Definitely have a bad axle/CV up front. There's an almost feeling of 'grinding' when I give more than minimal power in a turn with the wheel cranked full left. Had it up on a lift - the boot is torn. I'm guessing the whole CV joint and halfshaft need to be done at this point to repair it properly.

2. Brakes: front brakes are at 5/32'nd as measured. I don't want to pay for rotors, so I need to be looking at new pads very soon. Had my eye on EBC reds - I am not a fan of going with the standard/OEM ones due to the copious amounts of dust that they're putting off.

3. Cold start: Is it just me, or does the car reek like gasoline (from the exhausts) when it is cold? After a few minutes there is no problem. Also on cold starts - if I leave the car sitting for more than a few minutes, the interior will reek of gasoline. This isn't a problem once warmed up and idling, but it's a minor concern. The smell of gas out the exhaust is very strong when the car is cold - I don't know if this is a normal RS6 thing or not.

4. Heated seat woes. Every heated seat works except for mine. Boohiss.

5. Blower fan squeakiness: I have some weird option on my car where a solar panel is my sunroof, and thus keeps the blower fans running at all times when there's light. Nice option to have in California during the summer, but this lack of control has me going batty - since there's a squeaky fan somewhere (sounds like in the back, behind me?) that just won't stop squeaking. On a warmer day this tends not to be a problem, but when the car is 45 degrees along with everything else, this is a recipe for a temporary insanity plea after I murder someone.

6. 22.8 mpg combined. How the heck is that possible?

7. Drop the swaybar for an oil change? They really didn't design this with access in mind... looks like I'm going with a 7500 mile oil change interval. I'm running Kendall GT-1 full synthetic 5w-40. How often do you recommend I check for oil burn?

lswing
November 29th, 2011, 17:17
1. Definitely have a bad axle/CV up front. There's an almost feeling of 'grinding' when I give more than minimal power in a turn with the wheel cranked full left. Had it up on a lift - the boot is torn. I'm guessing the whole CV joint and halfshaft need to be done at this point to repair it properly.

This could very well be the center diff next to the trans, no easy change, many cars do this, many Audi Quattro's do too, not an issue.

6. 22.8 mpg combined. How the heck is that possible?

V8 is a very efficient engine. I get 22 on the freeway and 13 around town. And I put my foot into the gas plenty!That's also with a tune throwing lots of extra fuel in! Put your foot down more, that will lower the mileage:)...You might want to double check that oil you're using. For such a high end engine I would give it the best. Do you have the owners manual with the oil warning insert about the 501.01? The stuff you're using might be ok, but I would say find the best!Oh yea, just put on the hawk hps pads, no dust, but not enough bite for me, silent though, work pretty good..freshly finished rotors too...

Brav
November 29th, 2011, 17:27
22.8 mpg is definitely not quite right. I could get that coming from my house on the hill and coasting to work.. but being in a hilly area, hitting 4 lights, and having an 8 mile stretch of highway.. i still get maybe 16.5 when going easy. flat and level at 70mph.. maybe 21/22 max.

ThrillHouse
November 29th, 2011, 17:40
Is that 22.8 from the display or an actual calculation from the odometer and the fuel pump?

PixieVC
November 29th, 2011, 17:45
Is that 22.8 from the display or an actual calculation from the odometer and the fuel pump?

Actual calculation. The computer tells me 19.1 mpg...

ThrillHouse
November 29th, 2011, 18:04
Actual calculation. The computer tells me 19.1 mpg...

Wow - Same pump too? I've been able to make the mileage read pretty high when I learned the pumps. One would pump extra and one would pump low... instantly got 5mpg!

That is impressive for sure

PixieVC
November 29th, 2011, 18:34
i still get maybe 16.5 when going easy. flat and level at 70mph.. maybe 21/22 max.

Well, my around town number is something like 13. When I say combined, I say it in the context of my drive. Two miles to freeway from cold start in driveway. Route is 2 miles at 25-35 mph, five stoplights - 2 or 3 I can count on stopping at. Freeway to the office - 60-75 mph consistently. Then 3 miles of stop & go in downtown San Francisco on my exit at 6th street... Commute is the same in reverse. 22 MPG...

Benman
November 29th, 2011, 18:46
flat and level at 70mph.. maybe 21/22 max.
Flat and level @ 70mph will yield @24-25mpg (actual caculation), did it once on the way back from Laguna Seca. But where is the fun in that? :cheers:

Chung
November 29th, 2011, 19:13
The fan noise is from behind the glove compartment. I believe you can either replace the whole fan or just take it apart and clean it out. This is on my todo list as well.

PixieVC
November 29th, 2011, 20:13
The fan noise is from behind the glove compartment. I believe you can either replace the whole fan or just take it apart and clean it out. This is on my todo list as well.

Tried doing some searching but didn't come up with any good results - has anyone done this before? Is this something easy to do (ie, with no more than a philips and/or flathead screwdriver and 30 minutes time investment?)

PixieVC
November 29th, 2011, 20:19
This could very well be the center diff next to the trans, no easy change, many cars do this, many Audi Quattro's do too, not an issue.

Excellent. I'll ignore it.

Do you have the owners manual with the oil warning insert about the 501.01? The stuff you're using might be ok, but I would say find the best!Oh yea, just put on the hawk hps pads, no dust, but not enough bite for me, silent though, work pretty good..freshly finished rotors too...

Warning about? The manual I have says to use 501.01 specification 5w-40 weight. I verified that the Kendall stuff does conform to the VW 502 spec, which is the successor to 501.01...

lswing
November 29th, 2011, 20:56
Excellent. I'll ignore it.

Warning about? The manual I have says to use 501.01 specification 5w-40 weight. I verified that the Kendall stuff does conform to the VW 502 spec, which is the successor to 501.01...

Good to hear about the oil, I didn't know that specific type. My car, and a few others on here, will make that vibration when taking a slow hard left or right, say entering driveway. The center dif wears quick and slips due to the amount the front wheels are turning compared to the straight rear wheels. It's the only roughness from my car, but is buried in the trans I guess, maybe I'll never get in there with any luck.

ben916
November 29th, 2011, 21:39
1. Definitely have a bad axle/CV up front. - If the CV boot is torn, suggest an entire new front axle @ $99. Many have successfully replaced the boot but the time duration might make it cost prohibitive. I also get a grinding only first thing after start up and backing out of the driveway while turning the wheel to the left.

2. Brakes: front brakes are at 5/32'nd as measured. I don't want to pay for rotors. Should be ok for a little while but that should be on the short list of items to replace. Get the pads in the front = Done. Rear pads later unless you can score a dealio.

3. Cold start: Is it just me, or does the car reek like gasoline (from the exhausts) when it is cold? After a few minutes there is no problem. - Just noticed that when the weather got cold that the SAI runs and seems to make/generate more gasoline emissions. Never in the cabin of the car - that is where the kid seats are and the KIDS are :)

4. Heated seat woes. Every heated seat works except for mine. Boohiss. - Might be a connection gone loose? If the front passenger is working and the rears are working... I will look at ETKA or someone else can look at Bentley.

5. Blower fan squeakiness: When the solar cell is working when the car is off and in sunshine, I hear no squeaks but I can hear is slightly blowing. I do hear some sort of minor abrasion/rubbing when the A/C is on and as I power it off, you can hear it scroll down.

6. 22.8 mpg combined. - did you reset the computer/calculation on the end of the turn signal stock?

7. Drop the swaybar for an oil change? Well, it does make it easier :)

speedtrapped
November 29th, 2011, 22:01
The glove box is very easy to remove. Open glove door, I think 3 8mm head screws, then under the door, 1 8mm head on each side....remove, plenty of access. My solar fan only hums no real noise.

PixieVC
November 29th, 2011, 23:20
[/I]V8 is a very efficient engine. I get 22 on the freeway and 13 around town. And I put my foot into the gas plenty!That's also with a tune throwing lots of extra fuel in! Put your foot down more, that will lower the mileage:)...

I neglected to see this. You don't have very many freeways in Eugene - plus you must be the only RS6 rolling around in town. The only 'freeway' when I used to visit Eugene (from my time in PDX) was when I "autobahned it" down I-5, with all my electronic countermeasures set up. Managed to never get nailed by Oregon State Police - in hindsight I was pushing my luck, but all's well that ends well.

lswing
November 29th, 2011, 23:25
Correct, my freeway being I-5, nice and flat, keep the eyes open for sure. I believe there is at least one other rs6, some guy was trying to sell it, not the best condition though. Did see a black one about two months back, yep that's about it...OSP just arrested a guy last week being clocked at 108 and topping 130 in a new 3-series, said he wasn't paying attention, the kept him in jail for a few days, ouch!

Chung
November 30th, 2011, 01:44
I have only had the glove box out and that is not too difficult.

Here is a writeup
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec132.shtml

4everRS
November 30th, 2011, 02:10
1. Just get a new axle - much easier to replace.

2. I like the Yellowstuff better than the reds. Red's made my rotors spotty blueish

3. Not normal. I would inspect fuel filter and supply to engine on passenger side.

4. Sucks, don't know

5. Need a new blower motor. No real way to lubricate it.

6. I just got 23 average but it was all highway. This according to computer.

7. Detaching and attaching the swaybar is easier than likewise about the undertray.

kismetcapitan
November 30th, 2011, 02:17
Front swaybar is ridiculously easy to remove. Six bolts, mere minutes required.

4everRS
November 30th, 2011, 02:19
4 bolts. You don't need to remove it. Just let it hang by its ends.
Front swaybar is ridiculously easy to remove. Six bolts, mere minutes required.

ben916
November 30th, 2011, 05:15
I neglected to see this. You don't have very many freeways in Eugene - plus you must be the only RS6 rolling around in town. The only 'freeway' when I used to visit Eugene (from my time in PDX) was when I "autobahned it" down I-5, with all my electronic countermeasures set up. Managed to never get nailed by Oregon State Police - in hindsight I was pushing my luck, but all's well that ends well.

I got nailed driving 72 in a 55 on I-5 south just north of Olympia on my way from Seattle to Wesport to go surfing in the 40 degree water....
I pulled right over, he wrote me up for 62 in a 55... slight savings...
My radar detector did go off but he had instant on..